Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been away from this site for a few months. upon my return I noticed Space Hulk (third edition)was ranked very well. I knew it was going to be reprinted and had good expectations for it's reception. But...

is Space Hulk (third edition) really that much better then the previous editions? Or was the anticipation of it's re-release that thrust it into the top ten?
will it remain there or move out as it receives more play?

edit- just added a question mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is Space hulk really that good.
It is the production value that makes it so great. It is nothing short of marvelous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:

I'm not bashing it. I just want to know.

If it's that good, then it is what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun, tense game play coupled with truly outstanding components sprinkled with a bit of hype (well, maybe more than a bit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played the old editions, but I played 3rd edition with someone who had both first and second edition and played them a lot. He said he liked the new rules. Of course, the parts were no comparison, the new ones blow the old ones away. (Although I have to admit, the first edition pieces do have a kind of retro charm.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Godo question.
Those who own it and spent the money to get it tend to really like it and rate it highly.
I would expect that if it had a wider (and cheaper) release we'd see it drop a little in both ratings and rankings but as it's a "limited" game in both print run and expense then there won't be many people who buy it "on a whim" and don't enjoy it.

So to answer your question, I doubt everyone would rate it so highly but if you like that sort of thing you probably would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
Godo question.
Those who own it and spent the money to get it tend to really like it and rate it highly.
I would expect that if it had a wider (and cheaper) release we'd see it drop a little in both ratings and rankings but as it's a "limited" game in both print run and expense then there won't be many people who buy it "on a whim" and don't enjoy it.

So to answer your question, I doubt everyone would rate it so highly but if you like that sort of thing you probably would.

I second that. Since it was not cheap and only available in limited quantities, the chances of someone buying it who did not know what to expect and then be disappointed although he comes to this site to rate games are not extremely high.

That said, the production value of this thing is marvellous, the rules - although tweaked for this edition - are tried and true, so this is not hype alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:

And Frank's not even here for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the component quality is so astounding that it's THAT good.

This belongs in the Space Hulk forums, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harlan Rosenthal
United States
Fair Lawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been said that the prime mistake amateurs make with a camera is forgetting that the camera captures the image, not the experience. In real life people distinguish foreground and background, focus of interest, etc; once a photo is a flat image, suddenly viewers realize the background is bad or the lighting focuses interest elsewhere.

So it is with many of life's experiences, games among them. D&D isn't the most fantastic game in the universe, but AT THE TIME, in balance between serious historical wargames and children's roll-and-move games, it was a complete breath of fresh air. Space Hulk similarly struck a great balance between serious wargames, miniatures (an even more serious and obsessive subgroup), and the then-newly-popular science fiction theme (it could just as easily be Marines retaking a cargo ship from pirates). Over time it became a gateway game as well.

Some of the OCD about Space Hulk is about recapturing these experiences. I had a great time playing it years ago; while I recognize full well that part of that experience was the players and the social setting, I *still* wish I'd bought the new edition just to have one. Oh well. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leech
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Yes, the component quality is so astounding that it's THAT good.

This belongs in the Space Hulk forums, though.

Since lots of us don't look in the very specific forums I think it's nice that the occasional specific question ends up in General Gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
80% hype
20% game

- Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlan wrote:
I *still* wish I'd bought the new edition just to have one. Oh well. :-)

It is still available if you know where to look:

http://www.hobbyco.com.au/product/show_item.php?plu=GAM99001

Of course postage will be a *killer* from oz

- Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want pretty components buy 3rd edition.

If you want the best rules buy 1st edition.

If you want to be a smart bugger, buy 3rd edition, download the first edition rules and missions and have the best of both worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
bolter wrote:
If you want pretty components buy 3rd edition.

If you want the best rules buy 1st edition.

If you want to be a smart bugger, buy 3rd edition, download the first edition rules and missions and have the best of both worlds.

Or own both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Space Hulk General

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I agree that the production value is a lot of the appeal. This isn't to say that that's all there is but the components are equal to nothing else in my collection. Just amazing.

It is a very fun game to play but you can't step to it expecting a euro game. The game rewards good tactics and requires quick decisions based on limited information. And you have to accept that even perfect play can run afoul of bad luck. That's the nature of dice right.

The timer adds fantastic pressure that simply pushes the tension over the edge. The missions play quickly so you can play through them several times. Lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I agree that the production value is a lot of the appeal. This isn't to say that that's all there is but the components are equal to nothing else in my collection. Just amazing.

It is a very fun game to play but you can't step to it expecting a euro game. The game rewards good tactics and requires quick decisions based on limited information. And you have to accept that even perfect play can run afoul of bad luck. That's the nature of dice right.

The timer adds fantastic pressure that simply pushes the tension over the edge. The missions play quickly so you can play through them several times. Lots of fun.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob V
msg tools
20 years ago, I was a 19 year old kid drooling over the first edition boxed set I saw in the game stores.

I never bought it because: 1) I didn't have the cash for it; 2) I didn't know anyone who'd be interested in playing it with me.

Over the years, I'd see various editions of SH come out, especially the hardbound books of the Deathwing campaign, etc.

Again, I didn't have the cash but, more importantly, I didn't have any one who'd play it with me.

So SH goes out of publication. It simply doesn't exist other than in the manner of outrageous Ebay prices or shoddy downloadable map tiles and pirated rules. I tried to make a go of it with my Macragge pieces but it JUST ISN'T RIGHT.

Then, a few months ago, I find out that SH 3rd edition is being released in a limited production run ("20th anniversary edition/3rd edition/whatever).

I call the game stores all over the Phoenix metro area. Only ONE store has a single copy in stock for $99 and the store is located 30 miles away.

You bet your ass I drove immediately to that store to buy their last copy of SH.

What was different this time? 1) I had the money to buy it...2) More importantly, I actually had someone I could play it with: my 10 year old son, who's already a WH40k fan thanks to Dawn of War on the computer.

He was thrilled to find out there was a BOARD GAME with those AWESOME Space Marines and NASTY Tyranids! Wow, a kid actually interested in a BOARD GAME over a computer game?!

I'm probably sounding like a moron for saying this but I am tearing up at the thought that I am now able to play a game that I had wanted to play for 20 years and, now, I can finally do so and it's with my own son because the rules aren't that complex yet it's such a damned fun and exciting game.

Even tonight, my son managed to beat me on Mission II as a Space Marine with just one suriving Marine because he had an insane streak of lucky rolls that wiped out the remaining 'Nids for the victory.

$100 bucks for a "board game"? Worth every penny to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harlan Rosenthal
United States
Fair Lawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretschko wrote:
I'm probably sounding like a moron for saying this but I am tearing up at the thought that I am now able to play a game that I had wanted to play for 20 years and, now, I can finally do so and it's with my own son ....

Not to me - you're sounding like the best reason for getting just about anything: sharing experiences with the people who matter most. Plus you're teaching the next generation about the little things - strategy & tactics - and the big things - socializing and family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked it up, but have not got around to playing it yet.

I agree that the board pieces are of good quality, but the miniatures are a mixed bag for me. I mean, they are very nicely detailed, but you have to paint them to make them shine. If you don't paint well, then the components will most definitely NOT be awesome. The miniatures have the potential to be awesome. You have to do them justice though. That's not for everyone.

Unless people are happy to play the game with unpainted miniatures? I just can't bring myself to play it with unpainted miniatures, yet my fear of fouling them up prevents me from attempting to paint them. Hence, the game sits on the shelf. I painted the door bases, they're easy, but the miniatures are intimidating.

If this game came with prepainted miniatures with less detail, such as the HeroScape figures, I would have been much happier. I know that many people find painting the miniatures an important part of the experience. I must be in the minority here. I purchased it knowing this. I already had the second edition, which I had also not painted or played. All the comments on the amazing quality of the components somehow made me believe I could be satisfied with the miniatures as they are (unpainted). It turns out I can't. Maybe one day I'll have the nerve to paint one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
◖▸ ⓒ ⓐ ⓛ ⓔ ◂◗
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll tell you what it is for me. It's the analysis and dissection that happens after the scenario. Subjective and personal? Yep. But when I look back through all the games I truly enjoy, sessions are usually followed by a rich and interesting breakdown of how the game went, when the key moments happened, and what we'd do next time. Then a few seconds later, "wanna play again?"

So even though my plays are limited, it definitely hits that mark for me and my buddies. It's been the mark of a great game for me through the years, and I was happy and relieved to feel it after my first few SH plays.

The game is hyped far more by those who don't play it, because they emphasize the hype. It's that simple. It's a great game and you should be happy to own it. Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.