Subject: Another Space Hulk Weekend: Pt 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This report was originally posted on my blog. Larger versions of the photos are available there if required.

I tried to come up with a weak Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte reference for the title of this post but came up with nothing. If you have an idea then post it in the comments

——————–

Sgt Gideon notches up another kill in Mission IX: Regroup.

The last Space Hulk weekend (pt1 and pt2) left us wanting to play more, so MT and I organised another weekend for late October last. I took some snaps as we played. They arent National Geographic level shots or anything, but they illustrate the games sufficiently.

Having played through most of the scenarios in the 3rd ed missions book the last time, we were ready to try some different things out this time around, starting with a Power Armour (as opposed to Terminator armour) scenario. As with all previous games and games since, the third edition rules were used.

——————–

Denzarks Hammer (White Dwarf # 120)

"By Denzarks Hammer, you shall be avenged!"

First up was Denzarks Hammer, a scenario that was printed in White Dwarf for first edition. It introduced the rules for Power Armoured marines in SH.

Squad Van Helden (top) and Squad Rico.

Although MT played marines in this one, he had forgotten to bring enough of his “Emperors Voice” marines with him. As a result he used two Sin Eaters squads of mine instead. Although they are Chaos Marine figures, we obviously played them as standard.

Standard Imperial "Conga" deployment doctrine in full effect.

The scenario states that the ’stealer player gets one blip per turn. The scenario also suggests that this limit should be increased to two blips per turn once the Marine player gets the hang of using the Power Armour troopers.

While moving twenty figures in under three minutes proved a bit challenging from time to time, it turned out that one blip per turn is far too few ’stealers to either present a significant threat or provide some fun for the ’stealer player. Two blips per turn is a must for this scenario.

After suffering minimal casualties the Sin Eaters get to the bridge, achieve the objective and hold off the remaining 'stealers easily.

The game ended in an easy win for MT playing the Marines. Two blips per turn next time for sure.

——————–

Deathmatch

Deathmatch Set Up.

Deathmatch is a custom scenario that we threw together for playing Marine vs Marine games of SH. MT had a symmetrical map planned out in advance. We placed an objective for each side in the central room furthest from their deployment zone (the Sin Eaters were looking for a teleport homer while the Emperors Voice and Thoraxian Crusade marines were looking for the relic).

Emperors Voice marines (bottom) and Thoraxian Crusade Terminators on the starting blocks.

Sin Eater Squad Romero (top) and Squad Rico during the first turn.

We put a random blip of ’stealers in each of the four rooms, just for fun. They moved automatically (roughly using the solo rules from 1st ed Deathwing to determine their behaviour once revealed). Although the genestealers gave both sides cause for concern, all were eradicated without marine casualties on either side.

The sides close.

Tit for tat firefights whittle numbers on both sides...

...until the last Emperors Voice marine is gunned down by a Squad Romero storm bolter.

The game ended with a Chaos victory for me.

This was the first Marine vs Marine battle that I had ever played (I think that MT had played one or two before). These games play very differently from the usual genestealer games as obviously your marines can get shot.

The rules work in such a way that the marine that move-and-fires gets his shot off before the Overwatching marine shoots back. This makes advancing marginally less dangerous than Overwatching (although both are obviously necessary).

The game swung back and forth with alarming frequency and it was fun, but I am unsure as to how solid a platform for marine versus marine games SH actually is.

——-

Mission IX: Regroup

Regroup after a couple of turns.

Regroup is one of the few scenarios from the 3rd ed box that we hadnt tried, so we gave it a go. We decided to use the 1st ed Captain as a direct exchange for the Librarian. The Captain rules struck us as being approximately as powerful as the Librarian in games terms, and I think that we were right.

The Iron Men spread out thinly, each marine trusting his flanks to his brothers.

Marine casualties mount, despite the sterling efforts of Thunder Hammer armed Sgt Gideon (centre right).

Sgt Gideon with Guard orders is a tough nut to crack from the front. He butchered upwards of 13 ’stealers during the game (we lost track).

Sgt Gideon takes advantage of a lull plus the increased CPs that Captain Stark supplies to retreat rapidly up the corridor (top right).

Captain Stark covers the retreat.

Captain Stark gets three Terminators to the regroup point.

This scenario required the Marine player (me) to roll a dice after the game. If the score was equal to or under the number of Marines who escaped then the Marine player won. I rolled a "5". MT won. Ho hum.

The 1st Ed Captain seemed to be about as powerful as the 3rd Ed Librarian. The Captain can probably be swapped out for the Librarian in scenarios on a one for one basis without a problem from here on in.

——-

Final part to follow next Wednesday.

Edited to fix photo link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session reports. Keep them coming!
For the title. why be subtle, be direct:
Another 48 hours of Space Hulk Weekend: Pt 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Part two is here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.