Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, the Soulborgs, Warriors of Ashra and Deathreavers are the same as the ones we've seen before. Is that the case?

Is it only the repaints (the two sets) in this wave that are truly new? I have an obsession with getting at least one of everything for HeroScape, but I am also trying not to spend more than I have to in doing so.

Living where I do, it's hard to get these items. That means I end up on eBay, paying a fair bit for shipping, and "running the gauntlet" (that is the South African Postal Service). Things go "missing" all to easily. The less I order, the better my chances, in that lower value packages attract less attention. I would like to get these, but don't want the full set.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
Correct.
Soulborgs and Warriors and Soulborgs are from Wave 5.
Warriors of Feldspar has the new Quasatch Hunters and Granite Guardians.
Champions of Renown has the previously released GenCon/Retail promotionals that have since only been available on ebay for big $$$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to further break it down, depending on how big into HS you are--

Only 1 set is new, if you already have the GenCon/Retail promotions.

No sets are new if you count the Quasatch Hunters and Granite Guardians as repaints. But that's kind of stretching it because even though the fig is a reuse, the army and it's stats and powers are new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. Here's a for each of you.

I have the Tundra and Lava sets, but consider the repaints in this case different enough to be new. They have different army cards, making them distinctly different squads.

I imagine the wave 5 sets (Warriors of Ashra, etc) have the same colour scheme, card stats, and so on?

I have none of the Gencon figures and I don't yet have the Onyx Vipers. That master set promo never made it out here. I have the flag bearers, obtained on eBay, but I was always fine with not having the Gencon stuff.

Now that some of them are being released like this, it's worth it for me to pick them up. I won't have to pay such high prices, which entailed the extra pain of heavy import duty and the value convincing some long-fingered postal worker that they must be worth stealing. I wonder what they think when they steal a parcel like this and get home to find out that it contains a couple of (or even just one) plastic figures and card(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question Mark. I was wondering about this myself as I already have Wave 5, and all the other retail waves. If the 2 packs with the Soulborgs are absolutely identical, there may not be any worth in the extra purchase and shipping costs to get them to Australia either.

It's rather coincidental for me, that I was lucky enough to get an Agent Skahen and I had bought the other packs that contained the original promo repainted figures to make my own.

The only one that I have painted and finished at this stage as Master Woo, and I own the original Vipers, so that means I don't have to worry about the repaints for Sir Hawthorne and Nerak. Hawthorne's shield was giving me the wiggins anyways...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
Tobold wrote:

I imagine the wave 5 sets (Warriors of Ashra, etc) have the same colour scheme, card stats, and so on?

Yep, just compared cards of the Warriors of Ashra and Deathreavers. They even say "Thora's Vengeance" (wave 5's name) on the back rather than "Valkrill's Gambit". The only difference is the copyright of 2009 instead of 2006. Actually, there is a slight text change on Deathreavers: For Scatter, they add "from an opponent's figure" which is in the official errata: http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=906. It's nice they took the chance to put the corrected version on there.

Blastatrons and Deathstalkers just have the copyright change.

Nerak, Hawthorne and the Elite Onyx Vipers card's do all say "Valkrill's Gambit" which is a change from their original cards which each had something different, I believe.

But yeah, essentially the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the information everyone. This is one reason that I really love the Geek. I had not been paying any attention to new Heroscape releases...and I just got an ad for one of the online sellers which said the new releases were out. So I went to check them out...and went....HUH?

I already own 2 sets (or more) of every common squad and 1 of every unique hero set. Plus I have all of the promotional figures except Sir Hawthorne (I was never willing to pay the ridiculous amounts wanted for that). So when I saw two sets with the same figures and the same names...I wanted to know if they were the same or different. And you provided me with that answer.

Plus, even though I already own 2 of the Tundra sets and 4 of the Lava sets, now I know the repainted figures have completely new stats and abilities. And the bonus is that they are Aquilla. Playing with my son the other day, he only wanted to use Aquilla figures and he wanted to know if any more were coming out. (But then, he WAS hoping for more insects......).

So now I can get two of those common sets and one set of the unique heros so I can finally get my Sir Hawthorne figure. And the duplicate elite onyx vipers is nice since my son uses those almost every time (they are his favorite) and they have come close to getting stepped on more than once.

Thanks again everyone!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that detailed info, George. Have a for your trouble.

Hi Bruce. I picked up some HeroScape sets while in Australia, activating our permanent residence visas (so glad we got those), including the Warriors of Ashra and Soulborg sets. We pay the same sort of prices for games and related products, if one does the conversion. It must be something else to live in the US and pick up this stuff so cheaply.

The deals on the master sets are hard to believe. There is one store here that still have a master set (Rise of the Valkyrie) left. It has been marked down considerably but, even after all this time, the marked down price is still over $100 (US). I have 3 Rise of the Valkyrie master sets and 1 Swarm of the Marro. I just can't bring myself to pay so much for another one, especially with the new master set coming out next year, but I eye it every time I'm in the store. If they mark it down a little more, I'll probably take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DLongo wrote:
I had not been paying any attention to new Heroscape releases...and I just got an ad for one of the online sellers which said the new releases were out.

You might not have been paying attention, but it appears a lot of online buyers were. I checked several sites when I went to place an order last Thursday, and found most of them had been plundered of the non-reprints.

Only two sites, Troll & Toad and Cardhaus, had the full set including Warriors of Feldspar in stock. Only two others had Champions of Renown. Every site I hit that carried the latest Heroscape set had plenty of the reprint packs in stock, but were out of the others.

Cardhaus had quickly jacked the price of Warriors of Feldspar up to $18.95 (since raised further to $21.95). T&T still had them at $9.99. Had, as in past tense, they since sold out after I placed my order. I normally don't buy from Troll & Toad, and I'm guessing others think the same way as it would explain why they were amoung the last to sell out.

The set basically sucks from a retailers standpoint, for obvious reasons. Two of the packs are straight reprints, which weren't exactly hard to get before - they'll be gathering dust for a long time. Meanwhile customers are all going to demand the other two packs (mostly the common one). Making every case a retailer purchases a 50/50 mix of something they won't be able to keep in stock and something they'll never be able to sell. Not a good product marketing idea.

So I've got mixed reviews of the set. I was stunned and happy to see reprints of elusive exclusives that arguably never should have been as rare as they were. Yet I can see how this set is going to be an albatross on a game store's inventory sheets. IMO WotC should never do a straight reprint pack in a "new" set ever again. A figure reprint is okay - but mix it up, by putting a new figure in the pack, or at least mix reprints from different sets in the pack. While "buy this pack if you want the new ones, avoid these if you don't need reprints" is a great idea for us customers, WotC can't expect to sell as many reprint packs as non and they need to adjust their production ratios to match demand. Otherwise us happy customers may find unhappy stores unwilling to get burned carrying the next batch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very good point, Robert. I was wondering about this very thing.

I notice that Alliance, the American distributor that the owner of my FLGS purchases this sort of stuff from, has had wave 10 listed as out of stock since almost immediately after they got it in.

The owner of my FLGS asked me if I wanted him to put it on the order list (he doesn't ordinarily carry HeroScape items). I explained that I only want two of the sets and, as Alliance will only sell the complete wave, it wasn't worth it. I intend to brave eBay for the two sets I want. I expect this may see them fetching higher prices but, considering I woke up to HeroScape late and have had to hunt down most of the sets over the last year, it remains comparatively cheap.

I certainly hope they come up with a better arrangement next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
Tobold wrote:

Yep, just compared cards of the Warriors of Ashra and Deathreavers. They even say "Thora's Vengeance" (wave 5's name) on the back rather than "Valkrill's Gambit". The only difference is the copyright of 2009 instead of 2006. Actually, there is a slight text change on Deathreavers: For Scatter, they add "from an opponent's figure" which is in the official errata: http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=906. It's nice they took the chance to put the corrected version on there.

Nerak, Hawthorne and the Elite Onyx Vipers card's do all say "Valkrill's Gambit" which is a change from their original cards which each had something different, I believe.

But yeah, essentially the same. :)

QFT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
Tobold wrote:

But yeah, essentially the same.

I wondered how the figures were numbered in Valkrill's Gambit. I bought the Granite Guardians (1,2,3 of 11) and the Quasatch Hunters (4,5,6 of 11) and wondered what the other 5 figures in the Gambit were. So, I gather its EOV (7,8,9 of 11) then Nerak (10 of 11) and Hawthorne (11 of 11). Or, how exactly are the rest of the figures numbered in the Valkrill's Gambit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden wrote:
I wondered how the figures were numbered in Valkrill's Gambit. I bought the Granite Guardians (1,2,3 of 11) and the Quasatch Hunters (4,5,6 of 11) and wondered what the other 5 figures in the Gambit were. So, I gather its EOV (7,8,9 of 11) then Nerak (10 of 11) and Hawthorne (11 of 11). Or, how exactly are the rest of the figures numbered in the Valkrill's Gambit?

I just checked my cards, and they are numbered precisely as you have suggested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.