Popular Tags: [View All]
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which 5 states saw the most action during the ACW?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't answer without looking it up but I can imagine how Robert E. Lee would respond:

#1: Virginia
#2: Maryland
#3: The puppet regime established by the Federal government in Western Virginia
#4: Pennsylvania
#5: What other states?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Depends how you define 'action'. Virginia was certainly rather 'active'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tennessee in the west.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, do I have any advances on ...

#1: Virginia
#2: Maryland
#3: The puppet regime established by the Federal government in Western Virginia
#4: Pennsylvania
#5: Tennesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Miss, Louisiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McNamara
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May depend on how you define action. If you go by number of battles, I would venture:
Virginia
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama

If you go by number of casualties PA may make the top 5 but there was not a lot of action North of the Potomac if I remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pjmcnamara wrote:
...If you go by number of casualties PA may make the top 5 but there was not a lot of action North of the Potomac if I remember correctly.

But a couple of the 'largest' battles of the war. Again, depends on how you define 'action'. How does one compare a number of 'skirmishes' to a largescale 'battle'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 Virginia
#2 Tennessee
#3 Georgia
#4 Missouri
#5 North Carolina

Georgia's probably #2 though the more I think about it...

edit: Wanted to add one of the Carolina's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McNamara
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deadkenny wrote:
pjmcnamara wrote:
...If you go by number of casualties PA may make the top 5 but there was not a lot of action North of the Potomac if I remember correctly.

But a couple of the 'largest' battles of the war. Again, depends on how you define 'action'. How does one compare a number of 'skirmishes' to a largescale 'battle'?

Right. Which is why I first asked "how do you define action?" and then based my answer on one possible definition which was not # casualties.

So, it all depends on how you define "action". Outside of Lee's 1963 campaign, was their any action in PA? It just so happens that this is one of the largest and most famous battles.

I am thinking Georgia must be part of it too and maybe not Alabama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pjmcnamara wrote:
deadkenny wrote:
pjmcnamara wrote:

Right. Which is why I first asked "how do you define action?" and then based my answer on one possible definition which was not # casualties.

So, it all depends on how you define "action". Outside of Lee's 1963 campaign, was their any action in PA? It just so happens that this is one of the largest and most famous battles.

I am thinking Georgia must be part of it too and maybe not Alabama.

'North of the Potomac' includes Maryland - e.g. Antietam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
pjmcnamara wrote:
Outside of Lee's 1963 campaign,

When Bobby Lee ran for the Democratic nomination against LBJ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McNamara
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kenny - antietem....Again, one battle does not make for a lot of action.

Nathan James - good point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McNamara
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This link may prove helpful.

1 battle (the biggest, most famous and turning point) in PA
3 battles in MD

http://americanhistory.about.com/od/civilwarbattles/a/cw_bat...

Of course not included here is the Mississippi River and Atlantic Ocean which also saw some action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloody Kansas was in constant turmoil, but rarely had large scale battles. Does on going partisan actions count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
Which 5 states saw the most action during the ACW?

Question is really a matter of semantics...

Which saw the most action depends on how you define action....
...defined by number of casualties...
...defined by number of soldiers actually participating (not necessarily in battle)...
...defined by what time period of the war? (for example Virginia saw action through the entire war, West Virginia and Tennessee the first few years, Louisianna whilst the Mississippi was being contested, Georgia in "The March", Lee's two biggest "defeats" occurred when he moved north of Virginia (Lee didn't accomplish any of his goals when he moved into Union territory, lost some of his best trained men, fought battles to a standstill - which the North could afford more than the South - and had to relinquish grounds gained as he retreated back to his supply lines - a loss) but otherwise maryland and Pennsylvania were quiet for much of the war.

As far as war time activity (regardless of casualty counts) which disrupted the lives of its citizens - I would rate the states as;
#1 Virginia (at the time West Virginia was part of Virginia so I do not seperate the two)
#2 Tennessee
#3 Kansas
#4 Missouri
#5 Louisianna

Fascinating threads....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Civil_War_batt...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:American_Civil_War_Battles_by_Theater,_Year.png

...see what you started!!!! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Virginia & Tennessee are definitely the top 2...not sure 'bout the rest but would probably be between Georgia, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Kentucky...

While 2 of the more famous battles were fought in Pennsylvania (Gettysburg) and Maryland (Antietam), very few others were fought in either state...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LimboLance wrote:

...see what you started!!!! whistle

If you think thats bad, wait until you discover the internet archive...

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=The%20Photographic%2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ward
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Virginia leads the list regardless of the measurement (casualties, engagements, troops quartered, etc.)
2. Tennessee, I believe, comes in second in terms of actions and troops detailed to the State.
3. Missouri in terms of the constant action, albeit often small unit or guerilla type activity.
4. Georgia, although the tenure of the units in the field was relatively brief the impact was tremendous.
5. Mississippi (or Arkansas). There were larger units at work in Mississippi for an extensive period but there was constant activity in Arkansas of significance.

Of those not mentioned, Kentucky, Maryland and Pennsylvania were only the site of raids and not attempts to occupy (despite Bragg's claims to the contrary) territory and therefore limited by the scope of the action itself. The Carolinas were the site of extensive maritime activity but in terms of truly contested actions they don't even start until the attempts to shut down Charleston and Wilmington. Alabama had some significant troop movements but again, the Confederacy was near collapse at that point. Louisiana became quickly occupied after New Orleans and Baton Rouge fell (yes, I know Port Hudson is there but that was a minor affair compared to Vicksburg). Texas had plenty of action but again of an old desultory sort.

In terms of significance the actions in states might fall as follows:

Louisiana (the fall of New Orleans early in the war indicates that the Confederacy will have no easy victory)
Tennessee (the collapse of Forts Henry and Donelson and the fall of Nashville) indicates that the Confederate armies will be hard pressed to defend the interior.
Maryland (Antietam) Lee cannot defeat the Union's armies every time out
Mississippi (Vicksburg) The Confederacy starts to rot.
Pennsylvania (Gettysburg) The Confederacy's offensive power is shot.

You will note that Virginia doesn't make the list. That is because, despite the number and ferocity of the engagements in the State, truly decisive events happened elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it does depend on how you define "action", but I believe that Virginia would have to lead the list. The town of Winchester, in the Shenandoah valley, is said to have changed hands as many as 72 times during the course of the war. During Sherman's march to the sea, 14 battles were fought in route to, or around, Atlanta. I believe that Virginia, Georgia and Tennessee would be the top three states.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.