Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received 2 emails from "Fairplay Games" with a link in them that takes you to a attack site. Their Email has been compromised. DO NOT OPEN EMAILS FROM FAIRPLAY GAMES or atthe very least click the links in them. It is either that they have had their database stolen or their computers are infected with a virus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fairplay Games Sending Virus Links!
lordunborn wrote:
I just received 2 emails from "Fairplay Games" with a link in them that takes you to a attack site. Their Email has been compromised. DO NOT OPEN EMAILS FROM FAIRPLAY GAMES or atthe very least click the links in them. It is either that they have had their database stolen or their computers are infected with a virus.

Not necessarily. It could be a third party who has your email address and theirs in their addressbook. Oftentimes viruses will scan an addressbook and send an email to someone in the addressbook from someone else in the addressbook to make it look legit.

Of course, that doesn't rule out fairplay having the problem, but it doesn't necessarily prove that they do either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:

Have you run malwarebytes on your system lately? www.malwarebytes.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never downloaded the emails they are on my email server. This is not my end. So unless GoDaddy is infected I would say it is on Fairplays side. seeing as how the emails came from AOL and Hotmail addresses it may be that their mailing list got hacked but this system that I am on right now has never been to fairplay games' website until after the emails came as I have not bought from them since last year and this is running windows 7 so I would say the OS is pretty recent and was a clean fresh install.

I am also running Norton IS 2009, Zonealarm Pro 2010 and Spybot Search and Destroy. Pretty sure I am virus and malware free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodjh wrote:
lordunborn wrote:

Not necessarily. It could be a third party who has your email address and theirs in their addressbook. Oftentimes viruses will scan an addressbook and send an email to someone in the addressbook from someone else in the addressbook to make it look legit.

Of course, that doesn't rule out fairplay having the problem, but it doesn't necessarily prove that they do either.

Very well could be a coincidence. It would be a pretty far stretch to believe that it is just a random thing that they used fairplay games' name as the sender and had a email address of a person that bought from them over a year ago and accidentally matched the two together.

I just want people to know to look out for anything from fairplay with just a link in it that says click!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also just checked my spam folder and I had two emails: one from someone called "Admin fairplay" and another from someone called "Fplay games." Both clearly spam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Three different e-mails in my inbox from "Fplay games", "support fairplay", and "Fairplay Games"...

Came here to find the reason. Thanks! (subsequently deleted)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Shelton
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I found one in my spam folder as well on Yahoo mail. All it had was a hypertext link labeled "GO" but no message. Promptly deleted it. Does Fairplay know about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't mean Fairplay's email system is compromised. They could just be spoofs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tibbs2 wrote:
It doesn't mean Fairplay's email system is compromised. They could just be spoofs.

Which is probably what they are. It is incredibly easy to spoof not only an email, but also a legitimate looking relay history in the headers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tibbs2 wrote:

As I said above the chances are very slim that this is a coincidence. Just seems pretty amazing that this is all random. I agree that it is NOT fairplay games sending virus links to people. That is just silly. This is a warning that EMAILS SENT WITH FAIRPLAY GAMES AS THE SENDER MAY BE A VIRUS.

Take it how you will but I am just putting out the warning. I could just sit back and say well there is nobody that naive that would open a email and just click a link because it said so. But I guess if that was the case then there would be no virus out there.

Don't think I am pointing a finger at fairplay games just saying that something is sending emails to gamers at random with fairplay as the sender

After searching the headers I "Think" that the senders IS NOT FAIRPLAYS COMPUTERS but that it is still pretty amazing that someone knows to send fairplay customers emails from fairplay. I just think that fairplay has been compromised.

I guess the title of this is misleading and will change the title of the main post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I appreciate the warning.

Have you e-mailed Fairplay about it? I imagine they'd be interested to know of the issue so they can warn customers themselves of the threat or further attempt to rectify it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I have and have been checking my junk mail box just incase a good email from them get filtered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me to be likely that fairplay's email list was compromised. Its possible someone is just randomly sending out to random people with fairplay in subject BUT, why would they choose fairplay to put in subject? They'd have far more responses putting something like "Bank of America" in the subject if it was to random people. The fact that they are putting fairplay in subject indicates its more likely fairplay's list of email addresses are compromised (or else someone has a grudge against them).

Also, the fact that 4 different BGG users with 4 different emails have responded in this thread within THREE HOURS, and I find it hard to belive that random emails going to a bunch of random people in the internet would arrive at 4 random bgg people who read this particular thread and post in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the subject of my emails from them. they are the sender in mine. A simple look at the email addresses shows it is not fairplay games sending them but someone that got a hold of their prior customers emails. Was it just emails or was it also our credit card information????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
lordunborn wrote:

what's that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Montara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fairplay's website must be compromised. I use domain-specific email addresses with my various online accounts, and I received some of these emails to that email address. I've used that specific email address on no other site.
I've emailed them.
--mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal Hegarty
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got these two emails this morning too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have forwarded the information I sent to their security team is what they told me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best anti spyware apps out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
Very well could be a coincidence. It would be a pretty far stretch to believe that it is just a random thing that they used fairplay games' name as the sender and had a email address of a person that bought from them over a year ago and accidentally matched the two together.

It's not a coincidence at all. It is extremely likely that there is a person out there who has emailed both you and Fairplay. If that person's computer has an email virus, that would be sufficient to generate virus emails to you with Fairplay in the "from" field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again that would require certain conditions that I know have not been met.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Pienciak
United States
Carlstadt
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also received a copy of bogus emails yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:
lordunborn wrote:

what's that?

A very good anti-malware program (it checks for spyware, adware, internet explorer hijackers, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April VanGelderen
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:

Did you send a complaint? They could be infected, but then again might not know it. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.