tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
Are you sure you're not mixing her up with Mathias Cautrein? That shit is hideous.
Maura Kalusky
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb

is a dude.

I really like Maura's work in Fearsome Floors, Power Grid, Turbo Taxi and others. He is a very talented artist. However his style doesn't jive with the majority of the artwork in Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Art by Maura Kalusky is the first good thing I've heard about Dominion.

Edit...
If anyone wants and example of the "dreadful" art he did both the Navigator and the Pearl Diver in the following picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also really like his art!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His/her art reminds me of those cheap Disney knock-off cartoons. I don't mind those cards, but they are hardly my favorites when it comes to art.

Also, while we're at Pearl Diver, I don't know what is that notebookish thing he is trying to grab with his hand in that picture, but I'm sure that no way in hell does it contain a pearl (unless it's one of those flat and rectangular pearls).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Seaside's art is easily the best of the sets so far. Even the artists whose prior contributions were a bit suspect (Maura's Harem, Shanty Town; Casasola-Merkle's Festival) have much higher-quality work in this set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Milke
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MACM
I like Marcels Artwork in Seaside very much - Caravan and Lighthouse look fantastic in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirkwb
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Also, while we're at Pearl Diver, I don't know what is that notebookish thing he is trying to grab with his hand in that picture, but I'm sure that no way in hell does it contain a pearl (unless it's one of those flat and rectangular pearls).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't noticed it until Maura himself said it in another thread, but it's his style of outlining in black that makes his cards stand out. The other cards all have soft edges, so Maura's cards are unique, and thus attract detractors for "not fitting".

Nothing wrong with the art itself, it just stands out from the set.

He can do soft edges, the new Power Grid Factory Manager cover is a good example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I hadn't noticed it until Maura himself said it in another thread, but it's his style of outlining in black that makes his cards stand out.

You want to tell me that the only problem with this face:

is "black outlining"??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
I hadn't noticed it until Maura himself said it in another thread, but it's his style of outlining in black that makes his cards stand out.

is "black outlining"??

I'd still hit it.

I also should probably add that I am a fan of his work as well. I was actually happy to see really different art styles show up in intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Harem, Shanty Town, and Navigator look pretty bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey! That's my face you're complaining about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Diehr
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HappyProle wrote:
I think Seaside's art is easily the best of the sets so far. Even the artists whose prior contributions were a bit suspect (Maura's Harem, Shanty Town; Casasola-Merkle's Festival) have much higher-quality work in this set.

Hey now, Festival is easily the most important artwork ever created for Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing wrong with the art itself, it just stands out from the set.

QFT.

Next time, please don't include any other artists than Maura, please. Unless it's Klemens Franz.

A Kalusky fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maura Kalusky
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Please help maura to build up his bike
well, i just bought a motorcycle (royal enfield bullet 500 standard), which looks pretty good (and sounds better).

but i need a saddle, new indicators and some other stuff.
and this stuff costs money and if jay asking me, if i like to make another card for dominion, i will look, what i need for my bike and if there`s something missing, i will do this job.

with outlines, because it`s my way to work (btw. i tried the last cards without outlines and it looked boring. the factory manager cover is something completly different).

i don`t want to annoy anybody with my artwork (really?), but i have my style and i don`t want to change it.

well, it doesn`t fit to the other cards. that`s a problem and i accept this criticism, but what should i do? i mention this, but this doesn`t seems to be a problem for the publisher.

but maybe your petition will have access and there won`t be any further cards from me. no problem, except i couldn`t buy me therefore a second indicator.

aloha,
maura

ps. and please let this stupid disney thing, baba. cartoons and comics aren`t only disney. or simpsons. it`s like in the 80ies, when i draw underground punk comics. "oh, you are drawing comics? like mickey mouse?"
arg.

edit:
my work for dominion isn`t my best work at all. if your are asking, which stuff is my favourite, i will say "funny friends" or "fearsome floor".

edit II: i don`t do the turbotaxi stuff. i made the pixelated artwork for the original game "flickwerk", which most people really hated. ^^

edit III: oh, and thanks to the people, who wrote, that my style doesn`t fit, but also mention, that i`m not an untalented disneyesque childbookillustrator from outaspace.

edit IV:
maybe i would work for new cards without outlines, but the drawings would be much more cartoonic than my old ones. i think, that you should recognize the different artists, if there are different artists. otherwise it`s needless to ask more than one or two. but this a my point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I like your work for Seaside much better then the one for Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Vessenes
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about this some. The thing is, I really like Maura's artwork on Funny Friends. Far be it from me to call a style good or bad, but I admit that many of Maura's pieces for Dominion felt out of place.

I'm no artist, but the best explanation I can think of is this. Typical modern art for medieval subjects are on the ornate, baroque side. There tends to be more ornamentation, and this is doubly true for any fantasy setting. There tends to be more details in the scene, and the surfaces have higher detail textures and greater lighting contrasts. The art for Treasury and Pawn would be good examples of this.

Maura's art style is the opposite of ornamentation. The bolder lines draw more attention to the shapes than the surfaces, which in turn means the mind sees less differentiation in lighting. It also means the mind is more likely to view surfaces as comparatively less detailed. Though in fact, the textures in Maura's pieces do tend to have a more homogeneous look to them.

I don't mean that as a criticism or style judgment-- I think it works great for some games, like Fearsome Floors and Funny Friends. I just don't think it's what people are expecting when they see art pieces for medieval subject matter, and that's where the contention comes from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Derp
msg tools
baba44713 wrote:

is "black outlining"??

Harem is just a funny card. You've got that one slave in the back sporting some lovingly detailed folds of stomach fat, the one in the red who everyone assumes is guy until they really look at the card, and the one in the picture above; a midwestern soccer mom who wore the wrong halloween costume in the wrong place at the wrong time. And all of them are inexplicably smirking despite their positions in life.

It's not like the art is that bad, funny cartoon art is just naturally funny I guess.

Also Navigator's right sleeve looks like it's filled with cream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nobody mentioned Shanty Town? I actually think the art style works for that card. I'm not too crazy about Harem though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Maura's art is okay, but I have to agree that it doesn't fit in with the rest of Dominion's art - that's like having a comic book with alternating pages done with different styles.

Wait, come to think of it that sounds hilarious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is not Maura's art skills, but with the fact that Dominion lacks in art direction. The art. in general, feels disjointed: A set of different pieces that refuse to give the game any kind of mood, despite of each artist's best efforts.

Take a look at any modern Magic set: the cards have different artists, in many cases with extremely different techniques and styles. However, the pieces work well together as a set. Here, unfortunately they don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I really like Maura's artwork... but not in Dominion. It's just out of place, that's all.

Keep up the good work, Maura!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked your stuff in almost everything you've done; I'm not saying it's all masterpieces, but better than much of the chaff out there.

Oh and I agree: your tweaks to your style for Seaside really "stepped it up"

Thank you for being a part of the industry Maura; it wouldn't be the same without you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gracyk
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
I'll agree that Maura Kalusky's art is stylistically a far cry from the rest of the art in Dominion. But frankly? I don't care, because I like the Kalusky art a lot more. Shanty Town remains my favorite Dominion card art of any set.

Haters gonna hate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.