"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Great review Jim!

Move it about 100 years back in time, and to Japan, and I would be on it like nobody´s bussiness!

It is, however, the time period for one of the most famous danish (born norwegian) naval heroes of all time, Tordenskjold....
hmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand-
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review Jim. Nice work! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hilton Ruiz - Heroes
badge
Tishomingo Blues - Elmore Leonard
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent - I'll give this a whirl with you next time I'm in Scotland!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be all over this, if only I wasn't a poor student and could find gamers with similar interests. Alas, it is an imperfect world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
I am smitten by this production and have resolved to spend the next year or two building up my armies.

Quote:
COFFIN DODGER

You'd better get on with it, Jim! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! Enough information to convey the general sense of the rules and for a potential player make an informed decison about whether these rules are likely to be their cup of tea or not without superfluous detail. Also, very well illustrated!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

As an aside, I have played this period in 15mm using DBR and in 25/8mm using Might and Reason and found both sets to be quite good, but I have a distinct preference for M & R. I do like the M & R "base width" approach to measuring distances in that one is not obliged to rebase to play the rules.

Can you compare this ruleset to other ones that cover this period?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the very helpful reply, Jim.

I do agree with you regarding rules sets meant to be fun and the game and experience being the thing, not the result.

As I get older I find I have less and less time for complexities in rules and suchlike. A game that plays well, looks good and gives a 'feel' (or at least what I consider to be the 'feel') of a period suits me to a tee.

I have used Might and Reason for Marlburian battles and found them to be good. Not sure they would stretch pack to pike and shot though.

Good gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having read this review, I'm now aware of one game called Beneath the Lily Banners and one called Under the Lily Banners.

Once Uwe Rosenberg designs At the Gates of the Lily Banners, I'm cashing out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls