Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Osborn
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how long does this game really take to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
For all 12 turns... I can't tell you. My three games all ended on turn seven with one player getting an automatic victory by going past 30 points. Those seven turn games took: 3:03, 3:43, and 4 hours. I extrapolate a full 12 turns would take 6.75 hours.

I was quite annoyed the game took that long to play. I feel its advertising as a "three hour game" is a gross lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Ward wrote:
For all 12 turns... I can't tell you. My three games all ended on turn seven with one player getting an automatic victory by going past 30 points. Those seven turn games took: 3:03, 3:43, and 4 hours. I extrapolate a full 12 turns would take 6.75 hours.

I was quite annoyed the game took that long to play. I feel its advertising as a "three hour game" is a gross lie.

Michael, you and your opponent must have serious AP. I have sat down, opened the box, set up the game, explained it to my opponent (a first time player), and played the game to completion between 7:30 and 11:00 - twice (two different occasions - not two games in one evening!). First time I played it against another guy who hadn't played it, it took close to 5 hours. But every subsequent play has been between 3 and 3.5 hours.

YMMV.

Edit: Oh and I've played this about 10 times and have yet to see an automatic victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can second the 3.5 hour playing time. Experienced players might finish this game even faster.

However, I also can agree that with a new player, or even players with moderate analysis paralysis, the game can go 5-6 hours.

Note that a higher incidence of high initiative rolls can significantly increase AP and turn length.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm usually on the slow side in my gaming, but in my experience, the game gets called a lot early, often somewhere between 2-3 hours in. Still, the later turns often go a lot faster than the early turns, so I am guessing a full game that goes the distance would take us between 4-5 hours. With experienced players that already know the rules, you could knock an hour off that time. I don't see it going to almost 7 hours ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Osborn
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Thank you for all of your answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Wendell, feel free to answer the original poster's question with your experiences of the game. But why did you feel the need to insult me in the process? Then you have the gall to add Your Mileage May Vary, as if differences will occur but everyone's opinion is valid/respected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Ward wrote:
Wendell, feel free to answer the original poster's question with your experiences of the game. But why did you feel the need to insult me in the process? Then you have the gall to add Your Mileage May Vary, as if differences will occur but everyone's opinion is valid/respected.

Michael, I'm sorry if you took my post as an insult - it certainly wasn't intended as such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm a fairly slow player, and the game has usually taken around 4 hours for me after being familiar with the rules. That is just an estimate though. It depends in part on random factors: how many leaders stay alive and the number of phases per turn affects how much combat takes place - and combat slows things down quite a bit. That said, I can't possibly imagine the game going past 5 hours unless you were referencing the rulebook often.

Oh, and I don't think that having AP is insulting. It's really a badge of honor for those of us who are more deliberate and strategic than those faster player!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Michael Ward wrote:

I've topped out at four hours and I think he like me was quite surprised to hear your estimates.

Had he not responded as he did I likely would have said the same thing, as your experience appears to be very much an outlier. Don't take it personally -- he was just indicating that the center-line is much closer to four hours.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls