Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Battleground» Forums » Rules

Subject: Still not clear on movement and closing. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in this game, but after reading the rules, I'm still fuzzy on specifics (particularly about moving).

Suppose first, that two units are lined up thus, and unit 2 is about to move, with the standing order “close”. It is not close enough to final rush.

111
111


--222
--222

How does unit 2 move? Does it use a turn move so that the front center lines are in-line? Or would it just move straight ahead until it can final rush? What if moving straight forward would cause it to move so far that the units' facing sides are now the short sides of the cards?

Now, another situation:

444333111
444333111

222
222

Two has the order to close on unit 1. Unit 3 and 4 are friendly (or obstacles; the point is 2 is not engaged). Will 2 make a turn to face unit 1, or will it make sideways movement?

It seems that, given the standing order system, movement should be quite well-defined and should leave no choice to the player unless they're taking control of a unit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
Suppose first, that two units are lined up thus, and unit 2 is about to move, with the standing order “close”. It is not close enough to final rush.

111
111


--222
--222

How does unit 2 move?
Straight ahead.
Quote:
What if moving straight forward would cause it to move so far that the units' facing sides are now the short sides of the cards?
2 possibilities
1 - at some point the active unit's front centre point will come into Final Rush range of one or other centre point of the other unit - so much the better if it's his flank centre.
2 - using the optional rule, the active unit could Final Rush with it's own Flank Centre.
Quote:
Now, another situation:

444333111
444333111

222
222

Two has the order to close on unit 1. Unit 3 and 4 are friendly (or obstacles; the point is 2 is not engaged). Will 2 make a turn to face unit 1, or will it make sideways movement?
Owner's choice, I'd say. Both result in closing the distance, but turning would expose the Flank to the enemy...
Quote:
It seems that, given the standing order system, movement should be quite well-defined and should leave no choice to the player unless they're taking control of a unit.
As I see it, the end result is fixed, but the method is still under control. Straight ahead is straight ahead, but Attack that guy is open to interpretation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
tatoolo wrote:
Suppose first, that two units are lined up thus, and unit 2 is about to move, with the standing order “close”. It is not close enough to final rush.

111
111


--222
--222

How does unit 2 move?
Straight ahead.
Quote:
What if moving straight forward would cause it to move so far that the units' facing sides are now the short sides of the cards?
2 possibilities
1 - at some point the active unit's front centre point will come into Final Rush range of one or other centre point of the other unit - so much the better if it's his flank centre.


Right. I forgot that even though each unit's facing side to the other, the front arc extends from the front of the card, allowing either player to final rush at that point.


Wulf Corbett wrote:
Owner's choice, I'd say. Both result in closing the distance, but turning would expose the Flank to the enemy...
Quote:
It seems that, given the standing order system, movement should be quite well-defined and should leave no choice to the player unless they're taking control of a unit.
As I see it, the end result is fixed, but the method is still under control. Straight ahead is straight ahead, but Attack that guy is open to interpretation.


One could also argue that a non-intuitive reading of the "Close" description would allow a unit to make any movement that brings it closer to the closest unit. For instance, any of the three paths that 2 can take will bring it closer to unit 1. Is a player able to make any one of the following movements?

-111

----|
-\--|--/
--\-|-/
---\|/
---222

Another question I just came up with...can I make a maneuver like the rightmost path above, treating unit 2's MC as reduced by 2, and then follow up with a reform (reduces MC by 2), turning the card so it faces unit 1? Seems like it might be a neat trick to try to get a good position on unit 1.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
One could also argue that a non-intuitive reading of the "Close" description would allow a unit to make any movement that brings it closer to the closest unit. For instance, any of the three paths that 2 can take will bring it closer to unit 1. Is a player able to make any one of the following movements?

-111

----|
-\--|--/
--\-|-/
---\|/
---222
No, because only the middle one causes the distance of centre point to centre point to constantly reduce. It's not a matter of bringing any bit of the attacker to any bit of the defender, it's centre point to centre point. In the previous example, where the target was off to one side, any movement to that side will close the distance.
Quote:
Another question I just came up with...can I make a maneuver like the rightmost path above, treating unit 2's MC as reduced by 2, and then follow up with a reform (reduces MC by 2), turning the card so it faces unit 1? Seems like it might be a neat trick to try to get a good position on unit 1.
For the reason I state above, I'd say it would only be possible either by direct control, or by giving the unit an order to close to a specific point, both of which would achieve this. By the way, as you'd have to turn to take the rightmost path, you'd have to reduce MC by 3... which would pretty much bring it to a halt unless it was really fast!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of a couple of explanatory examples:

When you walk to your car to drive off in it, do you walk toward the front wheel, the back wheel, or the door?

When the two teams line up for a rugby scrum (or the American Football equivalent, where they all bend over & squeeze their heads between the other guys' buttocks), does one team head off to one side, or do they line up evenly?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
I thought of a couple of explanatory examples:

When you walk to your car to drive off in it, do you walk toward the front wheel, the back wheel, or the door?

When the two teams line up for a rugby scrum (or the American Football equivalent, where they all bend over & squeeze their heads between the other guys' buttocks), does one team head off to one side, or do they line up evenly?


Moving diagonally doesn't reduce my movement, and I'm always willing to spend a command point on my own movement.

If my car was looking to attack my flank, I might approach it with a bit more caution...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
Moving diagonally doesn't reduce my movement, and I'm always willing to spend a command point on my own movement.
Ah, now I see the point of your question!

Moving diagonally is not one of the movement options. Check the rulebook options - forwards, sideways, backwards, or turn, but no diagonal.

EDIT: Imagine a unit of pikemen attempting to march diagonally. It would be chaotic!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Moving diagonally is not one of the movement options. Check the rulebook options - forwards, sideways, backwards, or turn, but no diagonal.

EDIT: Imagine a unit of pikemen attempting to march diagonally. It would be chaotic!


Sorry, what I meant is a turn. If I'm standing in one spot, I can start walking straight, or turn up to 45 degrees left or right and then walk the same distance with equal effort. BGFW units aren't so lucky.

In my original scenario (where unit 2 opens itself up for a flank attack by moving straight forward), the unit would prefer to turn towards unit 1 before moving. The rules don't state what sort of movement takes precedence for units that have a standing order, and I can imagine there could be a lot of bickering in a tournament setting where each player is quoting a different line in the rules trying to get an advantage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
I thought of a couple of explanatory examples:

When you walk to your car to drive off in it, do you walk toward the front wheel, the back wheel, or the door?

When the two teams line up for a rugby scrum (or the American Football equivalent, where they all bend over & squeeze their heads between the other guys' buttocks), does one team head off to one side, or do they line up evenly?


Actually, in American football, the "center" is defined by where the ball is, and it is fairly common to see both the offense and defense line up with the line unbalanced with respect to the ball (more players on one side of the ball than the other). Nor are they necessarily lined up evenly with respect to each other. The idea is actually to flank the opponent.

I think the player has to given some discretion here. I don't think there is one answer. I might expect some races to exhibit more discipline than others, keeping good order as they close.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:

Suppose first, that two units are lined up thus, and unit 2 is about to move, with the standing order “close”. It is not close enough to final rush.

111
111


--222
--222

How does unit 2 move? Does it use a turn move so that the front center lines are in-line? Or would it just move straight ahead until it can final rush? What if moving straight forward would cause it to move so far that the units' facing sides are now the short sides of the cards?


If Unit 2 has "Close" as it's standing order and unit 1 is the nearest enemy, Unit 2 will take the shortest path possible towards unit 1.

So Unit 2 would probably turn, angling to put it's front center point as close as possible to Unit 1's closest center point.

tatoolo wrote:

444333111
444333111

222
222

Two has the order to close on unit 1. Unit 3 and 4 are friendly (or obstacles; the point is 2 is not engaged). Will 2 make a turn to face unit 1, or will it make sideways movement?


Assuming it has the Close order with a unit modifier, Unit 2 will ignore all other units and attempt to engage Unit 1 by the shortest possible path. If sideways movement at -1MC will allow it to reach it's target in fewer moves, it will do that. Usually though, it will make a normal turn and move with it's full MC.

This does mean that if you don't direct control Unit 2, and it turns to expose it's flank, that Unit 3 could final rush that flank. Unit 2 would receive no charge bonuses, but it would keep it's standing order to close on Unit 1. If it survived without routing and drove off Unit 3, it would continue again towards Unit 1 using the shortest possible path.

tatoolo wrote:

It seems that, given the standing order system, movement should be quite well-defined and should leave no choice to the player unless they're taking control of a unit.


Usually this is the case. You are the commanding general, and you've given orders to each unit commander. "Go attack those guys" or "Move to that spot and hold it" or "Shoot anyone who comes into range". If you need them to do something unique, you need to pay extra attention to them (i.e. spend Command Actions to direct control).

Occasionally though, you do have some flexibility. Say you have a unit on Close behind another unit on Close. The back unit can stay in back, or at any time it may choose the "indirect path" rule to get around the front unit. This allows you to put cavalry on the flanks and choose when to swing them out from behind the line. Note this only works if the shortest path is blocked.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:

In my original scenario (where unit 2 opens itself up for a flank attack by moving straight forward), the unit would prefer to turn towards unit 1 before moving. The rules don't state what sort of movement takes precedence for units that have a standing order, and I can imagine there could be a lot of bickering in a tournament setting where each player is quoting a different line in the rules trying to get an advantage.


If units were dumb like that, you'd be right. The game would be annoying and chaotic. But you have to remember the "Nearest Enemy" part. A unit on Close is trying to get engaged with whoever is closest in the fewest possible moves. It's not just moving in a straight line waiting to whallop whoever gets in front of it.

This is why it can be a good idea to send a cheap unit out in front of a bunch of guys on close. The "sacrificial lamb" pulls all the closing guys out of whack, as they all angle in toward the same target. Now the opponent has to spend command actions to straighten them out, or risk exposing his disjointed line to your well ordered line.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
LazyJ wrote:
tatoolo wrote:

In my original scenario (where unit 2 opens itself up for a flank attack by moving straight forward), the unit would prefer to turn towards unit 1 before moving. The rules don't state what sort of movement takes precedence for units that have a standing order, and I can imagine there could be a lot of bickering in a tournament setting where each player is quoting a different line in the rules trying to get an advantage.


If units were dumb like that, you'd be right. The game would be annoying and chaotic. But you have to remember the "Nearest Enemy" part. A unit on Close is trying to get engaged with whoever is closest in the fewest possible moves. It's not just moving in a straight line waiting to whallop whoever gets in front of it.

This is why it can be a good idea to send a cheap unit out in front of a bunch of guys on close. The "sacrificial lamb" pulls all the closing guys out of whack, as they all angle in toward the same target. Now the opponent has to spend command actions to straighten them out, or risk exposing his disjointed line to your well ordered line.


Now, that is interesting. The way I have always interpreted the rules is that if you have a line on close the shortest route to the nearest enemy would be to not angle into another unit. Therefore, I would move the unit directly in front of said unit first, and then the flanking units would move directly forward, keeping a line, as this would be the quickest way to engage that unit.

Is this wrong..?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
Now, that is interesting. The way I have always interpreted the rules is that if you have a line on close the shortest route to the nearest enemy would be to not angle into another unit. Therefore, I would move the unit directly in front of said unit first, and then the flanking units would move directly forward, keeping a line, as this would be the quickest way to engage that unit.

Is this wrong..?


Well, on their next move, they would be within distance to final rush the unit's flank, leaving their flank exposed for the rest of the coming units. It would look (something) like this:

--111
--111
22XXX33
22XXX33
22---33


Unit X is done for, but now 2's and 3's flanks are exposed. Assuming their opponent engages those units, they can't move (and thus can't face their attackers, I guess), which is a bad situation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:

Now, that is interesting. The way I have always interpreted the rules is that if you have a line on close the shortest route to the nearest enemy would be to not angle into another unit. Therefore, I would move the unit directly in front of said unit first, and then the flanking units would move directly forward, keeping a line, as this would be the quickest way to engage that unit.

Is this wrong..?


Hmmm... Now we're getting to the point where I have to state up front that I'm not a game designer or empowered spokesman, merely an experienced player. It is highly possible that someone who knows more than me will over-rule my answer.

From what I understand, every unit on Close must take the shortest possible path to the nearest enemy. The hitch to this is that you can be blocked by a friendly unit into not making your full move - say one unit behind another. The back unit can choose when to swing out and take the Indirect Path rule to continue on to the Nearest Enemy.

But I think the key to using Indirect Path is that it only applies when your Direct Path is blocked. So in your example:

111 222 333
\ | /
xxx


Where xxx is the Sacrificial Lamb, and units 1-3 are all on Close with their Direct Paths to xxx shown. You can have unit 2 move straight ahead. But if it doesn't engage xxx, then xxx is still the Nearest Enemy for unit 1 and 3, and their direct path is going to angle in. Nothing is going to block that direct path angled movement until they bump into unit 2 - so they can't claim indirect path and keep marching straight ahead. Alternatively, you could move 1 and 3 first towards xxx, and then have unit 2 bump into them. But Indirect Path is only going to kick in when their Direct Path is blocked at the start of their movement.

Incidentally, the most common counter to this problem is using Standing Order modifiers. Close to a terrain objective or Close to a specific unit are effective ways to keep your line from balling up on a cheap gambit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:

Well, on their next move, they would be within distance to final rush the unit's flank, leaving their flank exposed for the rest of the coming units. It would look (something) like this:

--111
--111
22XXX33
22XXX33
22---33


Unit X is done for, but now 2's and 3's flanks are exposed. Assuming their opponent engages those units, they can't move (and thus can't face their attackers, I guess), which is a bad situation.


I'm at work and not sure I am following this correctly. But I think you're saying that triple pinching on a cheap and useless unit out in front of the rest of the oncoming army is bad - and I heartily agree! The Sacrificial Lamb will have served a good purpose here.

But often you will not have this result, as units 2 and 3 will have been angled in weird and unproductive ways - drawn out of whack like moths to a flame by the tempting unit exposed before them.

However, even if the commander avoids this by spending command actions to fix his line or prevent the exposure, I still win because I did not have to use up my command actions and can get a command card advantage.

Gambits like this are incredibly fun!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyJ wrote:
But often you will not have this result, as units 2 and 3 will have been angled in weird and unproductive ways - drawn out of whack like moths to a flame by the tempting unit exposed before them.


Well, if we assume that on the previous turn, units 1, 2 and 3 were in a line, and we move unit X some arbitrarily small distance away from being engaged with 1 (using a command to do so), then 2 and 3 are within final rush distance of X's flanks, and since X is so close to 1, neither can final rush the front side since there is no space for a card there, and final rushes happen before all other movement. Since 2 and 3 are on "Close", then they must final rush X's flanks. Final rushing, of course, involves no tricky movement...just plop the card in the right place.

Does that make sense? I've never played (just ordered some decks today!), but that's my understanding of it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Err... Mostly.

When you get your decks on the table, hopefully this makes more sense. Units 2 and 3 will final rush if the center point on the facing side of the enemy unit is within their final rush range (typically 3.5" - but this varies by unit). If they are not within final rush range, they move normally per the rules pertaining to their standard order.

The key here is that unit X can be 10 inches away from units 1-3 and still be the nearest enemy. If this is the case, ALL of units 1-3 will attempt to take the shortest possible path to unit X if they are on Close. Thus they will jumble themselves up, and instead of a nice line you get a bunch of weird angles.

The other thing that I should mention briefly is that in your situation described you would be able to rush unit 1 into the space between 2 and 3. Your units can touch other allied units with no penalty - they just can't overlap.

It sounds complicated but believe me, in a game or two it makes sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyJ wrote:
The key here is that unit X can be 10 inches away from units 1-3 and still be the nearest enemy. If this is the case, ALL of units 1-3 will attempt to take the shortest possible path to unit X if they are on Close. Thus they will jumble themselves up, and instead of a nice line you get a bunch of weird angles.


Well, that was my original question. According to Wulf, units 2 and 3 will *not* turn, but rather move straight ahead, in line. Turning reduces a unit's MC by 1 for the round; if they turn so that their center line is in line with the front open side of unit X, then the distance between the center of unit 2 (or 3) and unit X will be greater than the distance between the centers if 2 had moved straight forward without turning.

Do you follow? It brings unit 2 closer to unit X if it moves straight ahead than if it turns to face unit X (so long as it is far enough away at the start of the turn...I suspect 10 inches is far enough). However, as the units get closer, it may bring the units closer if a turn maneuver is used, and my original question pertains to what it means for a unit to "close" on another given this small but possibly important discrepancy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
Well, that was my original question. According to Wulf, units 2 and 3 will *not* turn, but rather move straight ahead,
A lot does depend on which unit you move first. If you move the middle unit first (or the one best in a straight line to reach the enemy), the others have to conform to it, and will remain in a straight line. Move an end unit first, and the others will have to conform to it. I always try to consider the battle line as a single movement, unless I want some specific effect from moving one unit in preference to the others.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2 things to remember first of all:

1) "Turning", that is, measuring from the outside front corner of the card, does NOT reduce MC.

2) You can't consider the line as a whole for movement. Each unit individually determines who is the nearest enemy and the direct path to reach that enemy. There is no consideration for conforming to a line.

The process for each unit on Close is:
1) identify nearest enemy
2) close enough to final rush? if yes, final rush on the facing side
3) determine direct path to enemy's center point on facing side
4) is that path blocked? if so, determine if another enemy is closer and repeat step 1. Otherwise continue.
5) move along direct path towards nearest enemy until full MC is used up or you bump into blocking friendly or terrain

Note that even if the path is blocked in step 4, and unit X is still nearest enemy, you have to move on your direct path until stopped. So Unit 2 and 3 from the example will NOT move straight, they will each turn in an attempt to reach Unit X. This will jumble your lines, with either Unit 2 and 3 angled and in front, or behind, of Unit 1 depending on the order of movement.

You can prevent this undesirable situation with Command Actions or by using Standing Order modifiers.

edit it's important to also realize that the game is not orthogonal. That is, you can turn 20 degrees and move ahead. You're not limited to "horizontal" or "vertical" - it's more like a miniatures game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyJ wrote:
1) "Turning", that is, measuring from the outside front corner of the card, does NOT reduce MC.


Thanks for pointing this out, I misread that part.

So, the moral of this story is that I want to leave some space between my units when I set them up, rather than having them butt up against one another? That way there's some wiggle room if I need to do some slight turning.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Kitner
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, please keep in mind. If your unit is on Close and is withing Final Rushing distance of the nearest enemy, You just pick it up and move it into direct contact with the facing side. There is no manuevering.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
More questions!

I witnessed my first game today and had a few questions come up.

1. What happens if a unit is not close enough to final rush, but close enough so that if it moves its full movement, it will have more than half of its face adjacent to more than half of the opposing unit's face? That is, the unit is close enough to engage, but not final rush. What is the effective difference between the two?

2. If a unit is engaged on its flank, can it move so that it faces its opponent? Can this be done with a maneuver, and if so, does the unit do it automatically if it has the Close order? Are the two units considered to be engaged during the entire maneuver, or does the moving unit break engagement by using movement (this corresponds to the next question).

3. Can a unit break from engagement? If so, does the engaged unit get a free attack?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:

1. What happens if a unit is not close enough to final rush, but close enough so that if it moves its full movement, it will have more than half of its face adjacent to more than half of the opposing unit's face? That is, the unit is close enough to engage, but not final rush. What is the effective difference between the two?


To start you have to recognize that you measure and move Final Rushes first, before anything else. So you measure from the front center point of the moving unit and see if the Nearest Enemy's center point on the Facing Side is within range. If it is, you don't manuever, you just pick up the card and drop it down, center to center (or as close as possible).

If for some reason you can't reach the distance center-to-center when checking for Final Rushes, you can't end up touching an enemy card. Basically the only time you can move a card into contact with an enemy (i.e. engage) is with a Final Rush, done before any other manuvering. So if you can't Final Rush, you have to maintain a small gap between you and the enemy. Usually you will be charged on his turn, but you should get the Charge bonus as well.

It seems like a lot to remember, but you'll pick it up quick in practice and then it's really intuitive.

tatoolo wrote:

2. If a unit is engaged on its flank, can it move so that it faces its opponent? Can this be done with a maneuver, and if so, does the unit do it automatically if it has the Close order? Are the two units considered to be engaged during the entire maneuver, or does the moving unit break engagement by using movement (this corresponds to the next question).


No - officially you're stuck in a bad place if you get Final Rushed on the flank. On the Charge turn, your opponent gets a Charge bonus and you don't (you only get them if you engage on the front). Also, on that and every turn after your unit gets penalized for fighting to the flank and your opponent gains a bonus.

Some people house rule that a Command Action allows you to just rotate the card in your own Movement and Command phase. Personally I like it better to keep the unit stuck. Yes it sucks when it happens to you - that's why you shouldn't let it happen! I highly recommend you play it a few times the "official" way before you allow a house rule to change. I feel like the game plays better if you have tougher consequences for getting caught out of position.

tatoolo wrote:

3. Can a unit break from engagement? If so, does the engaged unit get a free attack?


Officially no, you're stuck until someone Routs or a unit takes enough damage to be eliminated. There are optional rules about breaking from Combat I think, probably involves Routing and Free Attacks to your Rear by your opponent (which are devastating). I've never used them - it's rare that you want to disengage from Combat. You would need to clarify before your game if you and your opponent will play with this rule.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyJ wrote:
If for some reason you can't reach the distance center-to-center when checking for Final Rushes, you can't end up touching an enemy card.


I hope you say "can't" as in "the rules don't allow it" rather than "it's not physically possible", because I can certainly find a counterexample.

LazyJ wrote:
Basically the only time you can move a card into contact with an enemy (i.e. engage) is with a Final Rush, done before any other manuvering. So if you can't Final Rush, you have to maintain a small gap between you and the enemy.


So, you're saying that the only way to engage a unit is to either final rush it or be final rushed by it? And that there is no other way to enter engagement?

LazyJ wrote:
Usually you will be charged on his turn, but you should get the Charge bonus as well.


So, both units get the charging bonus on the first attack after a final rush (assuming they are both facing front)?

Thank you for the response.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.