12 Posts

Grind» Forums » General

Subject: Too simple? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dick Gliblit
Malaysia
flag msg tools
I have been reading the rules and reading up on Grind...

It seems to be lacking abit of details. The Mechs are just Vanila generic non-named machines. It does not matter which colour you play, red is just cooler looking, and it ends there.

There is no tournament play.

No alternative teams, i belief their iron kingdom setting have many other country/factions available.

Does no one sees this as very limiting?

I can't imagine playing blood bowl with human vs human with no tournament rules and get high replayability.

I am interested in the game, however two issues are keeping me from doing anything about it. 1. As stated above, and 2. the hard to paint minis. I wish they were like "the adventurers" slightly harder plastic than rubbery monpoc stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally have never played the game but I would like to. I don't know that tournament rules are necessary. I'm guessing that some of the variety will be in how the steamjacks are configured. I do like the fact that as the period draws to a close gererally it becomes a little easier to do things making that last desperate attempt to score a little more likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sadly I only played once, but I thought that the variety of arms combinations, and the many possible plays are the reason the game is replayable IMO. Will I redline my crusher in reach of the grinder and try to hit it into the pit, or will I throw one of my runners so that it can then push it? Will I use one of my power dice to knock the opponent crusher down or keep it for later and use more action dice, forfeiting another teammate attack?

The combo attack is pretty nice too because you can use it on two different targets. You can hit an opponent guy away with a fist, and grab the Grinder with the Grappler, (edit) and all the kinds of combinations provide for an interesting opportunity, that's why the arms replacement is important.(/edit)

Also, the field is pretty cramped, so it's quite easy for the play to change sides because the Grinder is often in reach of both sides.

Of course I'd need to play a lot more to know if it will hold, but I like it a lot more than Bloodbowl.

Edit: as for painting, some people are positive the regular paint works; I'm a lot more careless than most so I went out of my way to get dedicated PVC paint and it works well enough :

edit: wording
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Schwanewede
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carthaginian wrote:
Sadly I only played once, but I thought that the variety of arms combinations, and the many possible plays are the reason the game is replayable IMO. Will I redline my crusher in reach of the grinder and try to hit it into the pit, or will I throw one of my runners so that it can then push it? Will I use one of my power dice to knock the opponent crusher down or keep it for later and use more action dice, forfeiting another teammate attack?

The combo attack is pretty nice too because you can use it on two different targets. You can hit an opponent guy away with a fist, and grab the Grinder with the Grappler, etc...

Also, the field is pretty cramped, so it's quite easy for the play to change sides because the Grinder is often in reach of both sides.

Of course I'd need to play a lot more to know if it will hold, but I like it a lot more than Bloodbowl.

Edit: as for painting, some people are positive the regular paint works; maybe I'm a lot less cautious than most so I went out of my way to get dedicated PVC paint and it works well enough :

how did you solve the arms remove/replace problem (nice paintjob btw )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
superjosef wrote:

how did you solve the arms remove/replace problem (nice paintjob btw )

Thanks; the paint is quite different from what I'm used to with water based acrylics, so it's a bit pasty. To answer your question, I solved it by choosing a japanese paint dedicated to soft PVC, and not painting the inside of the sockets and the plugs. The paint is holding to all the bending that happens when replacing the arms, for now.
More on http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/457607

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grimstad
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the simplicity of this game. Even though there aren't factions there are various arm combinations, and the possibility for expansions later on.

The nice thing is this game is complete in and of its self. As much as I love Blood Bowl, it really only shines in a league with a season and multiple coaches. Grind on the other hand is a great one-off game that works well for just two players, without a need for a league or a season.

With that said I would like to see some sort of league/campaign rules released (probably through No Quarter, Privateer Press' magazine). And even more teams in expansion boxes. But I want the game to stay balanced and easily playable for a pick up game.

Unfortunately, what ever you do with a sports game you either want more or less. So as for right now I am happy that they have settled for a great one-off self contained game that is accessable for more casual gamers. The rules are conscise, yet pleasingly allow for much stragety.

Bloodbowl's basic rules are on the same order of complexity, however with the league rules and various teams and skill it becomes very complex to figure out. And Elfball has so many stats it take a while to get your mind around the challenges and what you do when (I like elfball, but I think that Grind is easier to understand IMHO).

So I am also a bit torn by the simpliciy vs league, but for now I am going just going to enjoy this game for what it is and look for other players, hopefully it will grow and then they can release an expansion.

I would love to see a Black vs White or an arm expansion set. Maybe in the future they will release a differently shaped field for a 4way match. And after all this rambling just play it and have fun, you can always houserule/homebrew some league play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dick Gliblit
Malaysia
flag msg tools
thomas that is my concern exactly...

yeah, i think it is goign to be cool as a one off, if we start getting expansion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Escanaba
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: the paint, I thought the models painted up easily, with a primer coat followed by regular spray paint and some craft store acrylics paint on top of that. I had all 10 models painted and based (I glued the legs to the torsos, and the feet to the bases) in about six hours on a Saturday.

My only paint problem is grasping the models to switch out the arms. Even with a spray coat of Krylon matte finish, I rubbed off some of the paint on one of my crushers. Will need to add a brush-on a coat of Minwax clear urethane sealer to really protect the paint.

As to the game play, with 5 or so games under my belt I am happy with the level of tactical play involved. Knowing how to coordinate your models in tandem with moving the grinder while avoiding creating a gaping hole in your own defense if your plan fails is quite fun.

That, and keeping enough dice in your pool to be able to finish off your grand design, is quite a challenge. Along with remembering to call a play to help your side out, something I constantly forget to do, makes for quite an enjoyable experience. And I like that the game takes no more than an hour to play, about half what it takes me to play a game of Blood Bowl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
SorenK23 wrote:
My only paint problem is grasping the models to switch out the arms. Even with a spray coat of Krylon matte finish, I rubbed off some of the paint on one of my crushers. Will need to add a brush-on a coat of Minwax clear urethane sealer to really protect the paint.

That was my experience when I tried with regular paint too; I didn't go too far in painting the minis because I expected it from my experience of painting my "War of the Rings" minis. Same kind of plastic, the paint just could not bind to PVC. I ended getting PVC paint, but it was expensive.

My opinion is, either you magnetize the arms and then you can use the regular paint, or you paint with PVC paint.

Another quick solution that would be worth trying (I didn't yet) would be to make a "wash" out of dark paint and Ketone and just shadow the minis. Ketone seems the only thing able to bite the plastic, aside to the paint thinner I described in a previous post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Yarborough
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess has symetrical, vanilla teams and no campaign rules and it's still a pretty good game. I think of the Grind rules as being spartan rather than simple.

There's actually quite a lot of creative combos and tactics possible here. My next game I'm going to try equiping a crusher with a heavy grappler and yanking my opponents goalie out of the way for uncontested shots on the goal...

One of the selling points for me was the fact that you can finish a game in under an hour. Adding too many rules will increase playtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mitchell
South Africa
Springs
guateng
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, its actually got quite a lot of choice packed into the arena -
The arm choices, the allocation of dice to different units, the different strategies - pushing the grinder, hitting it from close up, or hitting it from range; attacking units to hinder future movement/clear paths for your units; throwing your own units over the opponents; throwing the grinder; using your goalkeeper to rush upfield with the grinder; positioning jacks to slow up opponents; using the gutter; etc, etc...

Its just got enough rules to be different but not too many that it takes a long time to learn...

That said,expansions will work well with this thing. Once you've learnt the rules - and had a few games of the original!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Pollari
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too simple?
Here's a solution for you. Load free Grind League Rules (XGL) from
Privateer Pres support pages. There you can find following rules to add to basic game:

-Timed turns: Each side has 4-minute time limit for turn.
-Bodyparts get damaged :when knocked down you roll for possible damage & disability.
-Upgrades:Each arm type has now one new special upgrade & one new power attack.
-Focus cards: You can focus your steamjack towards a specific play style (10 different alternatives: Lineman, Playmaker, Speedster etc).
-Team Sponsors Chose a sponsor from 5 alternatives:Incantrik Sparks/ Western Armory/ Iron Sentinel Mechanics/ Royal Exchange/ Strangewayes Techs
-Team Crew Four different crews can assist your team to victory:Maintenance Crew/ Strategist Crew/ Archanist Crew/ Augmenter Crew.

3-4 first options you can easily adopt to your plays even if you do not play league games. In league games you can really nurture your team to victory if you like.

With this variety you can easily overwhelm new players, but I think Blood Bowl veterans would really appreciate them... I'm more like overwhelmed at this point

*edit: typo typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.