GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,610 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Future expansions w/ less packaging as an option? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's no secret that with 3 games/expansions released that a lot of people have opted for a homemade storage solution for portability/consolidation. And with 4+ more Exp. on the horizon, that's a lot of money and shelf space.

What if future expansions had the option of buying just the 3 "groups" of cards in plastic wrap(normally found in the box when opening for the first time)? This would cut down on costs for packaging. Maybe wrap the "groups" in plastic and slap a sticker on it for "Dominion: Expansion X." Include: a smaller rule book, or just a FAQ sheet for new cards, or no instructions at all(you would have to get the pdf from RGG)?

Basically streamline the new stuff for people who don't want the box/bulk and save a couple bucks in the process?

It's also green week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weeks
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I would like to have a way to purchase just the cards for the next expansion and then download the pdf. However, I just don't see that happening. Something tells me the cost of producing a package of cards only would cost just as much as the packaging we see today. So I will continue to purchase the game as it's packaged and either store the box in the basement or toss it out gulp. Who am I kidding I'll put it on a shelf some where in the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
A guy in my group pointed out that we would buy smaller expansions more often if they were distributed that way. Say a pack of 5-10 kingdom cards. That would not necessitate the current large packaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a point being missed here.

The size of a game box isn't to hold the components. Well of course it is, but that's secondary. The size of a game box is to set the selling price. Lots of games would fit in a smaller box, but aren't sold that way. Selling price is the main reason why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

The size of a game box isn't to hold the components. Well of course it is, but that's secondary. The size of a game box is to set the selling price. Lots of games would fit in a smaller box, but aren't sold that way. Selling price is the main reason why.

That point was not lost upon me. All of the non-card components in Seaside were completely unnecessary from a gameplay view, but do justify a higher price point.

If consumers don't ask for a change, they won't get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

Not just that. A larger game box artificially increases demand, by better catching the eye of a potential buyer browsing the store shelves, and by just looking more attractive.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if physical weight has a similar effect, especially in light of a recent study on the psychology of heavy objects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Carter
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

Not just that. A larger game box artificially increases demand, by better catching the eye of a potential buyer browsing the store shelves, and by just looking more attractive.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if physical weight has a similar effect, especially in light of a recent study on the psychology of heavy objects.

Smugglers of the Galaxy is a lightweight box.

Galaxy Truckers is a heavy box.

Ergo, heavier games are better games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:

That's really neat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree to all of the above. With a larger box it's easier to justify the price but also to sell the game due to it's improved noticeability (is that a word?) on the store shelves. Also, a larger, heavier product gives off a feeling of being more valuable then a smaller, lighter product.

I am currently quite satisfied with the packaging, since the Seaside box is the prettiest of them all and is now holding all three expansions (with space for at least one more). In fact, I would even prefer if the future expansions came in a heavier and sturdier box, since this one doesn't look like it can handle the weight of 1000+ cards plus the additional components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, all very good points. I'm just asking for the option. A lot of things: video games, music, etc have been sold as standard and deluxe. I'm asking for a standard and a "slim" version. By all means keep making the "full" versions. There is a big enough market for that. I'm sure that even if the "slim" was available that a lot of people would still get the "full" version because they like all the goodies. Shoot, I might even be one of those "full" guys? I don't know, I haven't been given the choice?

Also, one big problem w/ a "slim" version is if all the expansions are going to include non-card components? Then this might be a problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games are lucky to get one print run in a single format.

What you're asking for is that the game be packaged in two different ways, lets call them 'standard' and 'minimal packaging'.

This requires distribution of two different boxes, two different carton sizes with two different box/carton ratios. It requires that stores carry and stock two different versions of the same game, and based on what I know, most game stores won't, they'll stock one or the other. Eventually the question will be raised "Which version should I buy?" and one of the versions will be left on the shelf of stores that bothered to carry both versions and everyone else will be annoyed that they got the 'lesser' of the two versions. Future releases will suffer or not be possible and everyone loses. (How's that for a slippery slope?)

I'm usually a packaging minimalist. I would prefer that any given distribution method reduce the amount of air in the package to near zero. Doing so would reduce Dominion a box the size of a Trivial Pursuit question's box, and for all the reasons previously stated, that's probably not going to happen.

To this end, all the cards from the first three sets are in a case from my M:tG days and are packaged away in a way that I like and makes sense to me. Because my wife prefers it, every card is in a sleeve. Thanks to seeing many other storage solutions at EuroQuest, each pack of 10 cards is now in a larger "Ultra-Pro" sleeve for easy grouping.

To sum up, the items you mention are all mass market media: video games, music, movies. A print run of only 10,000 of a given movie or compact disk is laughably small. A print run of a game of 10,000 units is remarkably large. To compare the two is unfair. The belief that there is a big enough market is somewhat naive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own my group's copy, but if I did I'd spend a few bucks get the whole thing boxed up, unsleeved, into an 800-count CCG box that they sell at a FLM:tGS and print up some of those nice tabs that Ted Alspach made (then I'd show it to him in person).

Economics aside, there's clearly a market for "less packaging," and while I understand the selling point of a bigger box...maybe more money can be made by releasing kingdom cards in expansion packs for $2.50

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
I agree to all of the above. With a larger box it's easier to justify the price but also to sell the game due to it's improved noticeability (is that a word?) on the store shelves. Also, a larger, heavier product gives off a feeling of being more valuable then a smaller, lighter product.

The future expansions will all be expansions, so the people that have one of the base games will know about it, and the people who dont know the game yet only have to notice the base games. So a small box would be good enough .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maaikefest wrote:
baba44713 wrote:

The future expansions will all be expansions, so the people that have one of the base games will know about it, and the people who dont know the game yet only have to notice the base games. So a small box would be good enough .

Well Seaside effectively proved that RGG doesn't think like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frog213 wrote:
Okay, all very good points. I'm just asking for the option.

No, that's still missed my point. How much do you expect to pay for that slimline version? Less? If so, there's no real incentive to offer it to you. The same? That's unlikely to generate the extra income that the complications it produces makes necessary. More? Probably not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.