25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations on games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Bobbery
msg tools
mbmb
I only have games like Trivial Pursuit, Cranium, Clue, etc. The ones you get at Target. So I want to get some better games. There seems to be a lot of disagreement between people on this site about what games are good. The highest rated game on the site has a Geek Rating of 8.23. A lot of them are pretty expensive and you have to buy something without ever having played it and then hope you like it. So I thought I'd ask what games are great. I was thinking about Arkham Horror, Last Night on Earth, and DOOM. I think the setting/back drop of the game is important, but of course the gameplay and replay value are the most important things. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to try games before you buy, see if there is a local game group near you (no flag, so I can't help you with that), or perhaps a local game store has store copies you can try. The nice thing about BGG is that you can buy used copies, sell used copies, or trade your copy if it's not the right fit.

More information would be helpful, like how many players you usually play with, how long of a game you're looking for, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't manage to try before you buy, then at least:

1) Read/watch the reviews
2) Read the rules - many publishers post the full rules on their websites, and there are links on the games pages when that is true. You should be able to get a decent idea of the likely worth of a game to you by reading the rules.

In general, we tend to suggest that people starting to play 'proper' games start with what we refer to as 'gateway' games. Those are games like Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Catan and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this geeklist: What Was YOUR Gateway Game? for suggestions of gateway games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jwoodall04 wrote:
Are you skipping Settlers for any reason? It is basically the first go to game when jumping into the hobby.

Actually, it's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Slusho wrote:
I only have games like Trivial Pursuit, Cranium, Clue, etc. The ones you get at Target. So I want to get some better games. There seems to be a lot of disagreement between people on this site about what games are good. The highest rated game on the site has a Geek Rating of 8.23. A lot of them are pretty expensive and you have to buy something without ever having played it and then hope you like it. So I thought I'd ask what games are great. I was thinking about Arkham Horror, Last Night on Earth, and DOOM. I think the setting/back drop of the game is important, but of course the gameplay and replay value are the most important things. Thanks.

Games are extremely subjective. For every person that loves a game there is going to be another that hates it. That is true for even the highest rated games here. It is best to try a game before you buy it but, unfortunately, that is not always an option. Read reviews and check ratings but in the end I suggest getting something that just sounds interesting and looks cool to you. If you end up not liking it, it will help to refine your tastes and give you a better understanding of what makes a good game. Then you can sell it or trade it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rose
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the same boat as you were until about ten years ago a friend introduced me to Hero Quest. I had played Risk, Clue, Monopoly, and the only game I can think of that was different was 13 Dead End Drive which I bought for my family.for Christmas one year.

If you like Clue you could try other variations of Clue like Clue Museum Capor or Clue Master Detective. You can get both pretty cheap through Ebay or through the market place here on the geek. I have been able to find a lot of games at thrift stores for cheap. This has allowed me to try a lot of different games and not spend a lot of money. The selection is limited but often you find a gem if you check often enough.

Don't be scared off with Arkham Horror I got it last year from my secret santa and sure it's complicated and usually a game doesn't last less then two hours but it has a lot of unique features that make it one of my favorite games. These features include, a unique storyline, unique characters, plently of complexity to keep everyone intersted as the game progresses. The fact that no two games are ever a like. Lots of peices so you feel like you get your money's worth. The art work is also superb.

I game I have introduced my family and friends to which isn't to complicated is Kill Doctor Lucky. It's like the oposite of Clue with all kinds of quirky twists and turns. It's also not very expensive to buy and is pretty easily available.

Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi and welcome!

I understand that you are not quite sure about what you are looking for, but there are a few questions you could answer that would help us help you!

*How many players will you usually be?
*What is your maximum preferred playing length?
*Is Fantasy/Horror/Sci Fi your preferred theme? Are historical themes ok?
*Do you want confrontation in your games (combat/fighting/take that elements)?
*Do you want a heavy/brainburning game or something lighter?
*Do you prefer easy rules or are more complex rules ok? If you have experience with roleplaying games you could probably try something more complex.

The three games you mention are all pretty complex and long games. Last Night on Earth is probably the lightest and shortest one. All three are cooperative or semi-cooperative with two teams. If you enjoy the Lovecraft theme, a huge amount of bits, complex rules, and cooperative gameplay, go with Arkham Horror. If you enjoy the Zombie-theme more, go with Last Night on Earth. Doom is not thought of as highly here at the geek, most would say you try its Fantasy-sibling Descent instead, but if the theme appeals to you should go for it.

But if you give us more info, we can help you more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobbery
msg tools
mbmb
Wow you guys are amazing. So many lengthy replies. Thanks for helping me.

I have played Catan, and I thought it was pretty good, but I don't think I'd want to get it. My friend has it with a bunch of expansions and it sounded like it wouldn't be nearly as fun without them. I don't think I'd want to get it. I've also played Risk and Risk 2210 AD, which pretty fun.

Players: 3-5 - I don't get a lot of chances to play board games, but I'm willing to get something to play occasionally.
Playing Length can be fairly long. It doesn't really matter.
Fantasy/Horror/Sci-Fi would be my preferred theme. I don't think historical themes would be of any interest to me.
Confrontation is fine.
I don't want it to be HORRIBLY complicated, but I don't want it to be too simple either. It can be fairly complicated as long as it's fun.

I think my main concern would be getting people to play whatever I get, but I could figure something out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the type of games on your list, I would recommend "A Touch of Evil"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobbery
msg tools
mbmb
The ones I said I have were just examples. I have all those Parkers Brothers/ Hasbro games. I don't want anything like those of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Voice In the Wilderness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Martian Rails by Mayfair Games is a sci-fi departure of a well-established game system that has enjoyed a degree of success(Empire Builder, with no less than 10 versions, by my count). The Rails games are Monopoly-esque, but with a card-based strategy as opposed to dice, so considering the games you have been playing up to now, it might make a nice transition game until you decide on something a bit more serious.

Along the same lines is Iron Dragon, the fantasy version of Rails, if Mars doesn't sound appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a good list of games that are vr fun, have wide appeal and have been hits at my place with whoever has played them:

Agricola
Ticket to Ride
Citadels
Arkham Horror
Carcassonne
Dominion
Arkadia
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game

Those are pretty much assured hits if the folks you know are anything like the folks I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slusho wrote:
The ones I said I have were just examples. I have all those Parkers Brothers/ Hasbro games. I don't want anything like those of course.

A touch of Evil is more of a dynamic game. It in my opinion would be a good progression from your examples. Not to extreme but with a good story line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobbery
msg tools
mbmb
I don't see any reason to get a game to transition into these. It doesn't need to be dumbed down because I'm just getting into it.

Also, who do you guys play with, and where? Do you just get some friends together and go to someone's house, or do you go to stores. I know there's one store by me that half of it is for people to play at. I assume "Open play" means people just go in and play the games they bring, although I wonder why you need to go to a place like that to play a game. Maybe it's like how people go to Starbucks with their MacBooks and do whatever they do on them. Haha I'm a noob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I'm also in a situation where I'd like to get a couple of older folks (in their 60s), as well as one younger person (21), into some of these games.
The main criteria is that the game can't be too complicated, so
I'm probably going to get Ticket To Ride. From what I've read it seems easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Slusho wrote:
I assume "Open play" means people just go in and play the games they bring, although I wonder why you need to go to a place like that to play a game.

Stores that have gaming space usually have gaming night at least one night per week where a good number of gamers will show, maybe a dozen or even two, depending.
It's kind of good because it eliminates the various etiquette issues involved with visiting someone's house or being the host.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobbery
msg tools
mbmb
So a while ago I was thinking about Zombies!!! but after reading stuff about it it seems like most people don't like it and reading the rules, it sounded pretty aimless until you get the helipad. I also looked at Zombie Plague, which sounded fun, but it probably wouldn't have a high replay value. Am I correct that Last Night on Earth is like Zombie Plague but better?

Right now I'm thinking Arkham Horror and Last Night on Earth.

Also, card games. I have Give Me the Brain!, Zombie Flux, Treasures & Traps, and Let's Kill! I like all of these except Let's Kill, which I played once and will never again. Do you guys have any recommendations of card games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, it depends on what you're looking for.

We can recommend long, complex card games like Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization, quick 15-30 minute games that are very fun, easy to teach, and can be played with many types of people, like Coloretto, Dominion, Guillotine. Or, perhaps games more in the style of classic card games - Tichu for example is an awesome trick tacking, climbing partnership game. Sticheln is a trick taking game with a very nasty twist. Or, perhaps something quick, but very involved is more your thing? Race for the Galaxy is a fantastic game if you can deal with having (almost) no conflict (none without expansions). Magic: The Gathering is a classic, and well liked by many. It's not too expensive to play if you just buy piles of commons, too.

There are tons of options to suit any desire. The above encompass a very wide range, but by no means everything. I recommend you check all of those out, and see what you think for yourself! Read some reviews, watch some videos, and see what you can get. Nothing is loved by everyone, period. Nothing you can do about that, is there?

Don't be afraid of jumping in to a more complex game - some people seem to be so focused on providing baby steps that really aren't necessary. Learning, for example, Ticket to Ride isn't going to affect your ability to learn 1856: Railroading in Upper Canada from 1856 at all. All they have in common is being train themed games... though in some cases, games can be similar enough that learning one makes the next step easier. For example, the aforementioned Race for the Galaxy is a lot for new players to comprehend, but it's based on the same game as San Juan, so if you learn the latter, the former becomes easier to pick up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
temazur
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slusho wrote:

Also, card games. I have Give Me the Brain!, Zombie Flux, Treasures & Traps, and Let's Kill! I like all of these except Let's Kill, which I played once and will never again. Do you guys have any recommendations of card games?

If you liked Give Me the Brain, check out it's sequel, Lord of the Fries. I liked it better than GMtB, and it's a great party game.

You also might want to check out the b-horror movie games, like Grave Robbers From Outer Space and Bell-Bottomed Badassses on the Mean Streets of Funk. There are a ton more, so just pick your favourite genre (though I think Bell-Bottomed Badasses is the best of the group). Different play concept from Give Me the Brain, but I kinda lump those together.

Tracy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobbery
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah I meant quick card games. Otherwise why not just play a board game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobbery
msg tools
mbmb
Well thanks to everyone who helped. You guys are awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for your first board game, the most important factor is wide appeal.

No matter how great a game is, it's not worth it if it is not played. You need a game that players will want to play and that you can bear.

I recommend Ticket to Ride.

It fits a good 2-5 players. The rules are absolutely simple as drawing 2 cards. There is good tension in this game too. You need tension to keep players focused,to feel that there is a sense of uncertainty and anxiety in the game.

What I like most about the game is that this tension is always there. Good players will force it. New players will create this unintentionally. And because of this tension, it will make players want to play again. And again.

TtR wasn't my first game, but it is one of my consistently played ones. Even with guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.