Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what edition I have, but are there any differences between them other than cosmetic ones?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the only difference i know of is the frame border included in 4th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 4th ed. hex tiles are thinner and the art on the backs of the cards are different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Riptcord wrote:
The 4th ed. hex tiles are thinner and the art on the backs of the cards are different.

According to Alex from Mayfair Games the 4th ed tiles are thicker by 1 sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Riptcord wrote:

According to Alex from Mayfair Games the 4th ed tiles are thicker by 1 sheet.

It's not the case with mine. My tiles are thicker. I guess what I have could be first, or second edition, but the tiles are definitely thicker than those of the latest edition. I got some friends into gaming via settlers. They eventually went a purchased their own copy - I couldn't game everyday. They commented that they liked my edition better because the tiles are thicker. I have seen their copy of the game and the latest edition is definitely thinner that what I have. I got my copy around 1999, or 2000. I can't remember if I got it at the FLGS, or in Germany before moving back, but it is a Mayfair copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4th edition Mayfair has rules
-that you CAN put the robber back on the desert
-A Longest Road broken up that results in ties for LR means the 2 VP stays with the current player

-deeper box
-board frame

3rd edition Mayfair has rules
-that you can NOT put the robber back on the desert
-A Longest Road broken up that results in ties for LR means the card goes back to reserve, to be reclaimed the first player who gets exceeds everyone else.

-shallower box
-no board frame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
I was confronted with a rules change last week when I played using the 4th edition for the first time. Namely, victory point cards not played during the game can be revealed after someone has declared victory and they still count. I believe in my 3rd edition, that I've been using for the last ten years that's not so. If you don't play them during the game, you've waited too long, they're null and void. I can't say I cared for this change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Ward wrote:
I was confronted with a rules change last week when I played using the 4th edition for the first time. Namely, victory point cards not played during the game can be revealed after someone has declared victory and they still count. I believe in my 3rd edition, that I've been using for the last ten years that's not so. If you don't play them during the game, you've waited too long, they're null and void. I can't say I cared for this change.

What difference does it make anyway? Declaring after victory - you still lost....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Settlers since the Kosmos edition was the only one available, and victory point cards were never played - and always revealed at the end of the game. If 3rd edition Mayfair said otherwise (and I am not convinced) that was a rules change (and quite a significant one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
-A Longest Road broken up that results in ties for LR means the 2 VP stays with the current player
-A Longest Road broken up that results in ties for LR means the card goes back to reserve, to be reclaimed the first player who gets exceeds everyone else.

The (original) german version always had the rule that if the current player is involved in the tie, the LR stays with him; and that the LR goes back to the reserve if only other players tied for LR after a broken road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
Michael Ward wrote:
Namely, victory point cards not played during the game can be revealed after someone has declared victory and they still count.
What difference does it make anyway? Declaring after victory - you still lost....

Makes a small difference in tournaments, when points are awarded in each round.

More important, if you have 8 VP and buy 2 VP cards, you can declare your victory. If you need to play them during the game, you'll need two more rounds (since you can only play 1 card per round, and not in the round you bought it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

-shallower box
-no board frame.

-deeper box
-board frame

I think you got some of that backwards. My 3rd ed has a shallow box and sea tiles without a frame. My 4th ed has a deep box and a frame instead of sea tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

-shallower box
-no board frame.

-deeper box
-board frame

I think you got some of that backwards. My 3rd ed has a shallow box and sea tiles without a frame. My 4th ed has a deep box and a frame instead of sea tiles.
Fixed that. The perils of late night posting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. This thread has done nothing but confuse me more. Thanks for being on the same page, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Carter
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Well, my question may make things worse. My version I just bought (I'm new to Settlers) says 2nd edition on a sticker on the back of the box but....in the rules under credits its says Copyright 1995,1997,1999,2005,2007 Catan GmbH and Mayfair Games, Inc. Does this mean it's 2nd edition if the latest copyright reads 2007?

My water pieces interlock and I thought from reading about Settlers that this didn't get added until the 4th edition.

I want to buy the 5-6 player expansion and really not sure which to get? Would buying one that says it's a 2007 edition be safe?cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryfromMemphis wrote:
Well, my question may make things worse. My version I just bought (I'm new to Settlers) says 2nd edition on a sticker on the back of the box but....in the rules under credits its says Copyright 1995,1997,1999,2005,2007 Catan GmbH and Mayfair Games, Inc. Does this mean it's 2nd edition if the latest copyright reads 2007?

My water pieces interlock and I thought from reading about Settlers that this didn't get added until the 4th edition.

I want to buy the 5-6 player expansion and really not sure which to get? Would buying one that says it's a 2007 edition be safe?:cry:

Yes, it definitely sounds like you have the 4th edition Mayfair. I think you should be fine with the latest 5-6 player extension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.