Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
In the interests of education about this awesome game.......

I was thinking people could add their favorite "beauty" who is pictured (or mentioned) on a Paths of Glory card. We will need two (2) interesting pieces of trivia about the person or their career. One (1) picture.......in a bathing suit if possible......a uniformed picture will do in a pinch though AND a couple of (2 3 4?) reasons why you think your contestant deserves the tiara. In a few days I'll slap a poll together and we can crown Miss PoG Universe.

Anton Ludwig August von Mackensen (Card #29 11th Army)

-After conquering Belgrade, Mackensen erected a monument to the Serbian soldiers who died defending Belgrade, saying, "We fought against an army that we have heard about only in fairy tales".

-Early in his career Mackensen commanded the 1st Life Hussar Regiment (Leib-Husaren-Regiment Nr. 1), whose uniform he often wore as a general. Mackensen's fame and familiar uniform gave rise to two separate Third Reich formations adopting black dress with Totenkopf badges: the Panzerwaffe, which claimed the tradition of the Imperial cavalry; and Hitler's "Life Guards," the SS. He is also known as "Totenkopf" ın the German Army. (August was very much anti-hitler .... a guy who dresses like this is all about the monarchy.)

I think August should be Miss PoG Universe based on his intense looks, nifty uniform, honorable warrior attitude and the fact he was awarded the Order of the Black Eagle, Prussia's highest-ranking order of knighthood. Jeez how cool is that? I also liked that he had some nice stuff to say about how tough Serbs were......AFTER he kicked their asses.

You Go Girl!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Umberto Colapicchioni
United States
Tualatin
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, but THIS will just crush anyone in a PoG beauty contest:

CP Card #17, Mata Hari, of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Martin
United Kingdom
Brackley
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Field Marshall Edmund Henry Hynman Allenby, 1st Viscount Allenby (Card #50 Allenby)

- He was special high commissioner for Egypt (1919-1925) during which time he had to deal with a national uprising and mutiny of his own troops; most famously in the case of the Surafend massacre (“affair”) of Palestinian villagers by ANZAC soldiers.

- A keen nature lover all his life Allenby enjoyed bird watching, particularly after his return to England and subsequent retirement.

1st Viscount Allenby GCB, GCMG, GCVO has everything; good looks, the presence and most importantly for us, his bird watching makes him an honorary geek.

Vote Allenby, vote often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of like this guy...

Heres another pic of Mackensen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Patton fought during World War 1 - Pershing assigned Patton to the newly-formed tank when Patton requested a combat command. Patton was wounded during combat towards the end of the war. For his service in the Meuse-Argonne Operations, Patton received the Distinguished Service Cross and the Distinguished Service Medal, and was given a battlefield promotion to a full colonel. For his combat wounds, he was presented the Purple Heart.

George S. Patton participated in the 1912 Olympics in Stockholm - he placed fifth. He performed poorly in the pistol shooting - normally his best event. He used a 45 rather than a 22 - two of his shots went missing - it is argued that he actually shot such large holes in the target that his missing shots went through the holes without leaving a mark.

Born on November 11th,1885. Also the date of the Armistice in World War One (1918), the execution of Ned Kelly (1880) and the dismisal of the Whitlam government in Australia (1975).

Participated in a street shoot-out while operating against Pancho Villa. He tied the bodies of the people he killing over the bonnet of his car and took them back to his HQ.

The Patton-designed 'tankers' uniform of the 1930's.

Patton pissing in the Rhine

Portrait - 1945

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ORDE CHARLES WINGATE

I. TRIVIA (more than two with this guy!):

- Wingate would wear an alarm clock around his wrist (because he considered watches unreliable), which would go off at times, and a raw onion on a string around his neck, which he would occasionally bite into when hungry.

- He liked to go around naked. In Palestine, recruits were used to having him come out of the shower to give them orders wearing nothing but a shower cap, and continuing to scrub himself with a shower brush. He also gave press conferences in his tent buck naked.His attitude towards personal nudity best illustrated by an incident during the wide press acclaim following his first Chindit campaign. An Australian correspondent invited to the general's hotel room in Delhi wrote:
"I found him sitting naked on his bed, eyes buried deep in a book. He hardly glanced up as I entered and rather gruffly asked what I wanted. ... He wasn't interested in me or my requirements, but seemed most excited about the book he was reading ... a critical commentary of Emily Bronte and her work."

- He would serve tea to visitors using one of his dirty socks as a strainer (true!)

- He had a complete indifference to British Monarchy and the hierarchical class-bound society and way of thinking. He was on record as calling some of his more stuffy superiors "military apes".

- He spoke in an Old Testament idiom and saw himself as a Biblical style warrior-champion.

II. AND a couple of reasons why you think your contestant deserves the tiara:

1- Wingate pioneered unconventional warfare with his notion that large unit groups can function in the rear of the enemy for long periods of time if they were self-sufficient and well trained. He was a brilliant commander of the Chindits. Churchill called Wingate a genius.

2- He was a complete wingnut. Lord Moran, Winston Churchill's personal physician wrote in his diaries that: 'Wingate seemed to me hardly sane - in medical jargon a borderline case'.

3- Was awarded the DSO for bravery three times.

4- He became a fanatical Zionist, (although raised as fierce Old Testament Christian) and fought Arab "gangs" with Special Night Squads, the armed detachments of British regulars and Jews which he himself brought into being.

5- His few days in Palestine, however, bore much fruit in that he taught the Jews (Moshe Dayan was one of his students) of British mandate Palestine, tactics which would later coalesce into the daring tactics of the IDF. He was the "Lawrence of Israel"

6- He helped to restore Haile Selassie to his Ethiopian throne.

7- He died at the peak of his career in the tragic style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Douglas Haig, the attrition poster boy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Haig,_1st_Earl_Haig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

Douglas Haig, the attrition poster boy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Haig,_1st_Earl_Haig

Beeeeeeh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyClifton wrote:

I look at this picture and the old song "Muskrat Love" starts going through my mind. No idea why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I look at this picture and the old song "Muskrat Love" starts going through my mind. No idea why.

I look at this picture and I feel like invading Poland...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite ww1 person is the guy in the quote below that I found by pure accident when skimming through a war diary looking for some information for a trench raid scenario. Not that I know who he was or what he looked like or anything (probably easy to find out, but it might ruin a perfect image to dig too deep).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am afraid I have to agree with Umberto on this.

Two interesting pieces of trivia:
1) Born Gertrud Margarete Zelle, she was married in 1894 at age 18 and moved from the Netherlands to Java with her husband. They had two children. Her son died in 1899 of poisoning, "apparently by a disgruntled housekeeper". In 1903 she divorced and moved back to the Netherlands.
2) Around 1905, she started acting on the Paris stage as Mata Hari. To quote firstworldwar.com, "Mata Hari's attractiveness, as well as her willingness to appear almost nude on the stage, made her a huge hit."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyril Roy Humby
Service number: 2333
Roll title: 36 Infantry Battalion - 1 to 6 Reinforcements (May-November 1916)
Conflict: First World War, 1914-1918
Date of embarkation: 17 October 1916
Place of embarkation: Sydney
Ship embarked on: HMAT Borda
Ship number: A30

Returned to Australia 22 Sept 1919

Incidentally, so did CSM Reginald Wilthew.

36th AIF Btn War Diary
http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/AWM4/23/AWM4-23-53-16.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
virtuali wrote:

To be really honest, her chest is incredibly flat and, IMHO, quite unappealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact she was a rather ineffectual German spy.
This is why in Ian Fleming's novels women are so sexy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
virtuali wrote:

Her chest doesn't bother me.......it's the fact that I actually thought this was a photo shopped picture of Joe Steadman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cmon Tony, we know you are smitten with Combat Commander

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyClifton wrote:
da pyrate wrote:
virtuali wrote:

Her chest doesn't bother me.......it's the fact that I actually thought this was a photo shopped picture of Joe Steadman.

Who told?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
My favorite ww1 person is the guy in the quote below that I found by pure accident when skimming through a war diary looking for some information for a trench raid scenario. Not that I know who he was or what he looked like or anything (probably easy to find out, but it might ruin a perfect image to dig too deep).

Ouch, 1 year hard labour for telling the oc to f' himself. We have it so easy nowdays. I told my CSM to f-off and get out of my face and he appologized the next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.