Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I was placing an overseas order a few weeks ago for a few games for my gaming group and came across these Through the Ages : Plastic Cubes for ~8 Euro (~$13 USD) and since it did not increase my shipping cost, I thought I would order them to see what they were like. Here are some pictures I just took of them:

As you may be able to see from the pictures above, the new (yellow) population markers are particularly nice as they are transparent and allow you to see the consumption numbers underneath them.

Unfortunately, the new (blue) food markers are too dark to see through, but just based on the fact they are square (and therefore do not roll around like the ones that came with my 2008 printing of the game) is an improvement for me.

The white civil action cubes have a smoky look to them and are not transparent (although this is not really important).

The red military action cubes are transparent but are on the darker side.

I have not played with these yet, but overall, I am quite happy with the new components. I have no idea who makes these as they literally just come in a plastic bag. The quality looks to be very good and they appear to be in the same/similar quantity as comes with the game (although I have not counted yet to be sure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The red ones look like the Damage Counters from Dungeon Lords:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
jearles wrote:
The red ones look like the Damage Counters from Dungeon Lords
From the picture they look very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a set at Essen from the Czech Games booth. They were a freebie if you bought Dungeon Lords, Shipyard and Bunny, Bunny, Moose, Moose. So I'd say they were made by CGE. Don't they come with the new Czech edition of Through the Ages?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
They do -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
woodnoggin wrote:
I picked up a set at Essen from the Czech Games booth. They were a freebie if you bought Dungeon Lords, Shipyard and Bunny, Bunny, Moose, Moose. So I'd say they were made by CGE. Don't they come with the new Czech edition of Through the Ages?
I wonder if they sell them directly now that Essen is over? And why did Fred decide to not use the same components with its latest 2009 printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think CGE sell directly except for at games conventions/fairs, oddly enough the site you bought them from had them as being made by FRED. There's no particular reason for different language versions to have the same components especially when they are published by different companies. Note that the player mats were redesigned to take these cubes for the Czech version (a number of other design differences can be seen on this photo) -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Uhtoff wrote:
I don't think CGE sell directly except for at games conventions/fairs, oddly enough the site you bought them from had them as being made by FRED. There's no particular reason for different language versions to have the same components especially when they are published by different companies. Note that the player mats were redesigned to take these cubes for the Czech version (a number of other design differences can be seen on this photo) -

I am sure cost is the determinative factor as for component choice, but both publishers must be comparing notes as the redesigned player mats, are very similar. The square icons on the mats to match the nicer cubes are nice. I also noticed from the picture that the starting cards have been rearranged (i.e. Infantry on the left). Do you know if this was done for any particular substantive reason?

Although another nice touch, the detached card board would not seem ti make much difference, but I do like the smaller player markers and the point track that does not wrap around the perimeter of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Murmak
Czech Republic
Kladno
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Codenames ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
I am sure cost is the determinative factor as for component choice, but both publishers must be comparing notes as the redesigned player mats, are very similar. The square icons on the mats to match the nicer cubes are nice. I also noticed from the picture that the starting cards have been rearranged (i.e. Infantry on the left). Do you know if this was done for any particular substantive reason?

It simply works better as you move blue tokens to mines and farms very often. In this version they are just above blue bank. And also description arrows for maintenance phase are now in better position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Murmak
Czech Republic
Kladno
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Codenames ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
I wonder if they sell them directly now that Essen is over? And why did Fred decide to not use the same components with its latest 2009 printing?

We don't have enough manpower to sell it by ourselves, so we have them only on conventions.

And FRED don't have them in their latest print run as we are producing our games in Czech and them in China. And even if they will want them to their print run, it would be late for 2009 print run as we had to make tools for making these cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
kreten wrote:
It simply works better as you move blue tokens to mines and farms very often. In this version they are just above blue bank. And also description arrows for maintenance phase are now in better position.
Thanks for the info Petr. It does look like a very logical setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There seems to be a steady improvement in the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhtoff wrote:

I want this edition!!! Do European websites sell it perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
Well bugger, that will teach us to get all three of those games separately over three or four days!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
colin darra
Wales
LINCOLN
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaargh! I would really like some of these, but the OP link goes to the ludibay website, but they apparently no longer stock these.

Anyone found them anywhere else?

ColD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.