GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Expansions, a simple query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that some third parties make maps for games such as Age of Steam. I don't know much about this - whether there is a licensing fee paid, or whether they are "unofficial", but at least you now know that it happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ludopoly wrote:
I know that some third parties make maps for games such as Age of Steam. I don't know much about this - whether there is a licensing fee paid, or whether they are "unofficial", but at least you now know that it happens.

But they don't commercially publish them, do they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Beyond Boardwalk and Park Place
Mafiopoly
Lloyd's Rules for Acquire

According to this entry in "Cardboard Pirates...", Panzerblitz had some expansions like you describe.

I'm going to punt on the legal and ethical questions, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Might very well be illegal, depending on country.

However, I can't see how a publisher would lose money on that, as long as it's made clear that it's a third party product. I don't say they should be happy, but I don't see why they should be upset either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Ross
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There was a guy in Germany who printed up some fan made Dominion cards a while ago. HiG / RGG had him destroy them. Link to HiG page, scroll down to "Erklärung zu den Vorfällen..." (German)

Basically RGG/HiG say:
1.: They will not allow professional or semi-professional printing and distribution of Dominion cards.

3.: The argumentation is basically that to allow even one small amateur expansion deck would undermine their ability to defend against a large, professional but unofficial expansion before court.

WotC has also gone against stickers for magic cards in the past that didn't even use the real card layout and symbols. Link

You also might want to consider that the designer/publisher might already be working on an expansion already. What if your ideas are similar or identical?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
as for the law it probably could be see as an infringment of the artistic value of the game. In the same way as a tv company was sued for destroying a movie with comercial breaks.

But I am not sure and my knowledge fo law is just an intrest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.