Popular Tags: [View All]
Murray C
Canada
Vancouver
British Colombia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it when there is an electronic version of a board game available. It gives me a great distraction when I'm not in the mood to fiddle around with Minesweeper or Hearts and allows me to improve my game and prepare for the real thing: playing with my friends.

Even though most adaptations are of the solo/AI only variation, I still love it as I'm usually looking to just scratch an itching for a game. In fact, since I'm usually just looking for a distraction, the fast playing AI and the ability to drop a game guilt-free is very attractive.

If you are uncertain about the rules of a game or if you want to playtest a game first, these electronic versions are indespensible.

Marquand.net (http://www.marquand.net/index.php?topic=coloretto) has an adaptation of Coloretto available and I started trying it out today and I thought I would share with you my findings.

The Adaptation
The version on Marquand.net is of the solo/AI only variation. You can play 3-5 players, practically any number of rounds, and the game has an "Original" and "Advanced" AI setting.

The rules are available on the page and the images used are similar, if not exactly, the same as the original. The game itself doesn't require that much monitor space, which may be a bad thing since the cards are fairly small and is hard to count some times. You are not able to adjust the size of the game.

The first player to play each round does not change in this version. You are almost always the third to play, which is neither good nor bad, but some variability would be nice.

The Interface
Don't worry about card counting, as the game will keep track of the number of cards left in the draw deck for you, which is great. The interface is pretty good and straight forward. You click on the truck you want to take or on the deck if you want to draw a card (and then the truck that you want to load).

The only thing that I can really fault about the interface is the terrible background image of rocks, which is a bit too busy and distracting. I would much prefer some sort of card-table velvet green/red instead. However, as you play, you can ignore the background a bit, so it does not really take away from the game at all.

The scoring card is there and a moving castle card keeps track of whose turn it is. The card are relatively easy to keep track of, despite their small size. Overall, the interface works.

The AI
The only thing I noticed about the AI is that the Original AI likes to take a lot of single cards while the Advanced one tends to pass up favourable trucks more often. I, myself, play a mixture of the two and managed to keep my score higher than the AI throughout all my plays, but did find that the scores were closer against the Advanced AI, so take from that what you will.

Neither AIs were terribly challenging. Then again, the game is simple enough, so I wasn't expecting too much. They focus more on themselves than on each other, so there are not that many screw-you type plays made and it allows for you to easily force them to take bad trucks. As well, they seem unaware of the disadvantage in taking the last truck and can be stuck with it throughout the entire round.

Overall
You will definitely not become world champ by training against this AI. But if you are looking for a quick 5-10 minute game to relieve some stress and are itching for some Coloretto, then this will give you that fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered Coloretto through this implementation, and I still go back to play it every now and then. I recommend it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, killed a bit of time today. as well as the hill 218 implementation.

I am much better at coloretto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just recently (as in yesterday) discovered Coloretto and I am really enjoying it. Playing this online version has been a lot fun and a great way to pass the time on a snowy weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you all are enjoying the implementation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray C
Canada
Vancouver
British Colombia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your hard work in making these implementations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.