GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,854 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Basic bits - What's in your bins? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have discovered the DIY delight; if you want to try out a game, make your own "poor man's version" before shelling out the bux for the production version. Strictly for personal demo purposes, of course.

So, I'd like to ask; what generic craft bits do you keep handy for bodging up a game on demand? During my last trip to Michaels, I found quite a bit: wooden primary shapes (spheres, isohedrons, cubes, half-spheres, eggs, discs, cylinders, etc), decorative glass stones (in many styles, from the little glass drips to feceted gem lookalikes), specialized movers (cylinder with a sphere on top), dowel rods, spools, etc. that would make quite a few of the games I've been itching to try.

Bits I have not been able to find in a ready form include:
- wooden hexes (hex nuts are OK, but making a game with hexes on the scale of Hive/Six requires some pretty hefty ones)
- wooden rings (washers are usually OK, but other times they don't work very well, like when the ring needs to be pretty tall, or when things need to live completely inside a ring)
- Drawstring bags (I prefer bags to boxes for most boardless abstracts, and would like to have some bags even for games that don't come with them, like Zertz)

Anyone know where to find some of these from major U.S. retailers? Any other types of bits that may come in handy? Keep in mind I'm not (yet) into making printed bits like Carcassonne tiles or my own homemade Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic bags, Plano and Plano-like boxes up to and including pill sorters, Scrabble tiles, glass stones, Poker and Phase 10 decks to apply sticker paper to...

I've seen the Michael's strings of beads for under 5 bucks, but I'd only touch them if I had a coupon. If you needed 30+ player pieces in 4-6 colors it would get expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many games that are rubbish happen to have some good bits that can be "harvested". These game are usually available second hand very cheaply.

For instance the hats and coins from Harry Potter: Diagon Alley Board Game are worth keeping, but the game is junk.

Of course the houses and money from Monopoly can be of use.

I kept the cars and hedgehog standups from Hedgehog's Revenge ( the game was junk ).

The robots from Robot Wars: The Game, again the game was trash in a nice box.

I have bits from a good number of other games as well, mostly bought frcharity shops and car boot sales. I use them for playtesting my own game designs and for pimping up other games.

Of course the classic standby is the glass blob things that you find in craft stores and places that sell fish tank accessories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
Of course the classic standby is the glass blob things that you find in craft stores and places that sell fish tank accessories.

Michaels had a bag of brightly colored opaque glass stones exactly like you describe for $7, which I bought and still have 90% of unused after making Zertz. Red, orange, yellow, green, light blue and dark blue, bout 2 pounds in total. Something tells me those are bits that will keep coming in handy, time after time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/47269

This geeklist here has most of the bits I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil ...but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I buy games at thrift stores and then cannibalize the bits. One of the best scores I made was a copy of the really old version of Risk where all the 'bits' were actually wooden cubes painted. So I got 6 colors and then they had the sort of rectangular/triangular wooden ones that were the '5 units' as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/47269

This geeklist here has most of the bits I have.

This is a great geeklist; I saw plenty of the stuff that the retail games use, so if nothing else it's good to know that replacements are easily available.

I tend to shy away from cannibalizing games, with the exception of games that use exactly the same bits as a given game (like the 100 other games you can play with a chess or checkers set). First off, I like to think that I don't buy bad games (certainly not since discovering this site). Second, buying a game to tear it apart and scatter its bits to the wind seems wasteful (and a bit too pointed of an opinion on the game's worth ). Virtually any game with nice bits can be recreated with other bits, and therefore those other bits can be used for any new game you'd cannibalize another game to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've got a selection of odds and ends in my craft bin. There's currently about 200 1/2" round furniture plugs, 50 or so 3/4" wood disks, 300 scrabble tiles, 100 1 1/8" square plastic tiles (from a sudoku game), a bunch of small baggies, 2" roll of Hugo tape, and my hot glue gun. I also have a rotary cutter, cutting mat, and a 18" clear ruler. I don't have any odd shapes since the games I play don't use them. I also have craft punches in various round sizes from 1/2" to 1" and a corner rounding punch.

Michaels had sheets of foam core board on sale so I bought a bunch, there are some sheets of posterboard with them as well. I have 1/3 sheet of chipboard left from my Magic Realm build which will be used on the next project with counters. Chipboard is found at Aaron Brothers or art store. I paid $4 for a 20"x30" sheet.

For boxes: Big Lots. They have 3 sizes of the Plano style boxes and run $1.50 for the small, $2.50 for medium, and $3.50 for the large. Have one of the small boxes unused and as I paint my stock of miniatures I'll clear out 2 of the large.

The garage has my can of 3M #77 spray glue. My paints are split between the house (colors I use most) and garage.

My wife gives me a bad time for having all of this stuff...until the kid has a school project and we don't need to get anything from the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.