Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I've got a bit of a quandry - an excellent German BGGer has games I want. Unfortunately, the condition is that I pay the Paypal charges 4,5%? Has anyone had success sending money orders to German individuals? I think I did this once before, but the seller ended up taking a 10 or 20 Euro hit at his bank for cashing the MO...

Any other decent options?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't send money orders through the post office any more unfortunately. Honestly, the best way to send money overseas is to literally send money overseas. (buried in several sheets of paper).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Have a friend who has a european bank account do a bank transfer for you. Time and hassle.

2) send the money in an envelope with a lot of paper around it. Verify that they will take dollars, otherwise go to the airport and exchange some money.

3) Paypal. That higher rate sounds like it may be a charge for paying via credit card. Verify that its the same fee for using paypal and taking the money out of your bank account.

I've bought a lot of stuff from europe, and I generally use option 1 or 3. Option one takes a lot of time and hassle for everyone, and mistakes can be a headache to correct. For me it is generally easiest to just bite the bullet and use paypal. Currency fluctuations generally are a wider range than the amount you mentioned, and I don't spend a lot of time worrying about that either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
Hey all,

I've got a bit of a quandry - an excellent German BGGer has games I want. Unfortunately, the condition is that I pay the Paypal charges 4,5%? Has anyone had success sending money orders to German individuals? I think I did this once before, but the seller ended up taking a 10 or 20 Euro hit at his bank for cashing the MO...

Any other decent options?

Here's the european fee schedule:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-o...

Looks like its 3.4% + 0.35 EUR

If you pick to send in his local currency (euros) then the currency conversion fees are on your end instead of his I belive.

BTW, its against paypal TOS to charge extra for their fees. With a bit of wordplay, you can say you offer a cash discount though, thats allowed.

Besides money orders, there's also bank transfers.

Also note what paypal says on that page about personal transfers from a bank (not credit card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:

BTW, its against paypal TOS to charge extra for their fees. With a bit of wordplay, you can say you offer a cash discount though, thats allowed.

I don't believe that this TOS is legal in Germany and German sellers can recoup their extra costs. But as you say above it's a nit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.