GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Carcassonne: Der Tunnel» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official English Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielbox now have the official English rules up on their site:

"Carcassonne: The Tunnel Expansion (spielbox 6/2009)

Preparation

The four land tiles are shuffled in with those from the basic game. Each player takes the
tunnel chips matching his color. (With two players, each uses three colors, and with three,
each takes two).

Tunnel Rules

All the standard rules are still valid. These rules are expanded as follows:
Deploying Chips on Tunnel Entrances
During his turn, a player may place one of his tunnel chips on any unoccupied tunnel
entrance (including one he just played that turn). This is in addition to placing a follower,
using the normal rules.

When is the Underground Tunnel Complete?

As long as there is no tunnel chip on the tunnel entrance, the road leading into that tunnel
breaks off without being completed. If a chip is later added to that tunnel entrance, the road
still remains incomplete. Only when a second chip of the same color is played on another
vacant tunnel entrance can the tunnel be completed (it can be on the same tunnel tile, or a
different one). The road continues from the other end of the tunnel, and is not automatically
completed! The road must be completed using the regular rules (e.g., by a crossing, etc.).
The colors of the tunnel chips is only used to link tunnel entrances in pairs. The tunnels,
however, are built for the public: i.e., a thief of a different color can still be placed on a road
that goes through a completed tunnel. In some cases, a road can run through several tunnels,
passing behind other roads underground.

Scoring

Only visible road segments are counted when a road is completed.
Example: A tile with a city gate, a tile with a curved road, a tunnel entrance, another tunnel
exit, a tile with a straight road, and a tile with a crossing would be worth a total of 6 points
(12 with a pub) for the thief.
After the road is scored, the tunnel chips remain on the tiles. So, at most 5 tunnels can be
built (6 if using tiles with tunnels from another expansion).

The Princess and the Dragon

Tiles from some expansions, like “The Princess and the Dragon,” also show tunnel
entrances, and can be used with the Tunnel expansion as well. These entrances can also be
marked with chips. In this case, a road leading by the tunnel is still valid, following the
rules above for continuing roads through tunnels."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The pdf version is here: http://www.spielbox-magazin.de/pdf/CCS_Tunnel_en.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why am I so dumb when it comes to this expansion? I can't seem to get my mind around how it scores and what it does exactly.

Can someone throw up some graphical examples, please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martin
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No graphical examples, alas, but as I understand it it is just a new way of expanding and potentially stealing roads. It allows each player to create a single virtual connection between any two of the tunnel points in the game. Thus, you could claim a road leading into a tunnel, and I could do the same on the other side of the board. If I were to play my two chips at the end of each of our tunnels, the roads would be connected, and points would be scored or shared as usual. Or if you're building a road that's getting cut off, you could drop a tunnel and keep expanding if you're going for robber baron and longest road.

And that's it, really, as far as I can tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
JoffW wrote:

Tiles from some expansions, like “The Princess and the Dragon,” also show tunnel entrances, and can be used with the Tunnel expansion as well.

are you sure? I can't see any tunnel entrances on the princess and dragon tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are the "underground road" tiles that go under cities usually.

Look at this inventory list:
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/2cxtbbdo5d/TheP...

Last page, middle column, 6th tile down. I am sure other expansions have better examples. But this is what they are classifying as "tunnels" for the purposes of better integrating this mini-expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Ah thanks, I was looking for the same icon as was on these tiles but using those 'under the castle' roads to better integrate the expansion is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Why am I so dumb when it comes to this expansion?

Likely the usual culprit: too many words. Try this:

Quote:
Preparation

The four tiles are mixed with the other tiles being used.
Each player takes the tunnel chips in his color.

Play

After placing a tile, a player may additionally* place one of his tunnel chips on any unoccupied tunnel opening.

Tunnels

Connected tunnel openings covered by chips of the same color are treated as connected by a road. All other tunnel openings, including those on tiles from older expansions, are treated as incomplete road edges.

*There's no mention of when in the turn this happens; specifically whether it happens before or after follower placement. My thinking is that "additionally" (in the original Speilbox German and the recent Speilbox English translation) implies after follower placement. The latest HiG rules say even less, simply stating that the follower placement rules are still in effect (the "unabhängig" refers to the rules, not the timing of events).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
It appears that the tunnels are a field border, just like roads are. This surprises me. I expected the fields to continue across these tiles, but the space between / behind the tunnel entrances is not green. So I presume these tiles are intended to stop fields just as roads stop fields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.