Subject: Is it worthwhile building extra track? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you say of course - that's the only way to connect cities laugh, let me clarify the situation.

Say you have a fairly extensive route around the planet. A load card turns up for a hefty profit. Your can get to the city because it is already part of your route HOWEVER, it would take you a few turns of movement to get there (say 3 or 4 turns). Is it worth building a "short cut" to get to the city assuming you had the spare finances and did not break any rules for connecting to that city?

Thanks.
Diff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is near the end of the game and those 3-4 turns could mean the difference between you finishing first or a competitor, then yes. It is the same reasoning used to decide when to go for a faster train. This would apply to all crayon rail games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends how much it costs, how much time you save, and how likely it is that you'll re-use the track.

A rule of thumb I use (not specific to Martian Rails) is that a turn is worth about $3 million.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I have often built a shortcut that will eliminate another turn of movement. It will let you deliver quicker and even give you a chance to deliver a buffer load.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also depends on other loads to pick up or deliver--taking the long route may allow you take another load to the same area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies chaps!cool

Diff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Depends how much it costs, how much time you save, and how likely it is that you'll re-use the track.

A rule of thumb I use (not specific to Martian Rails) is that a turn is worth about $3 million.

When I first started playing, I recalled you (or someone) stating this number as an average for turn. I kept that in mind when building track. However, I later used a spreadsheet to track everything during a few games, and found that even a losing score averages over $5 per turn. The winning scores are around $7 per turn, or higher.

I'd say the rule of thumb is if the build will save you one turn per $5 spent, then it is acceptable, more so if you have time to use that track again! This rule can break down in the final few turns of the game, when you just need to break $250 to trigger the win before someone else makes their "final" deliveries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.