Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a player build multiples of the same building (a farm, say)?

Bonus Question -- The yellow buildings, can they be built on any I/R/C land, or must you win the "Any Building" auction?

Super Bonus Question that I suspect I already know the answer to but just wanted to see spelled out -- You spend a "T" token to make a single transaction at the marketplace, right? (You can't do multiple transactions for a single "T").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No you cannot build multiples of a building. (Its in the rules on page 3, in the description of a building). This is mostly important for General Store (which would be broken with two), and the City (round 9-10) scoring buildings.

The Special (yellow) buildings: They can be build with any tile that gives "Any building" or "Special". They cant be build simply with a Residential, Commercial, or Industrial land. Generally it is more difficult to get the land for a special building than for other types.

Yes you use one trade token to make one transaction (buy or sell in the marketplace, or a recruit, or a use of a special power). You cant do multiple with one trade token. (Note: For one trade token you can buy a resource and then for another you can sell it, getting the same money back but gaining one point as well. So two trade tokens can turn into one point in this way. Obviously you cant do infinite transactions with one token, or else you would get infinite points). The little player aid that shows all the buy and sell prices shows what you give and get on the respective sides of the transaction.

So on the 'buy' card it shows that you give Trade+money(or Gold), and get X resource. On the 'sell' card is shows that you give Trade + Resource, and get Point + money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How funny!

This exact situation came up last weekend - a player wanted to use 3 trade chips and a Gold resource to purchase 2 Wood and 1 Steel. I told him that's not how it worked, and then we had a discussion about whether or not that was like going to the grocery store and paying for milk with a $5 bill and not getting change. I suggested it was more like trading a gold watch for milk and then asking for change. That doesn't answer the question as to why you couldn't trade a gold watch for milk, bread, and eggs (and let them keep the change)...

It probably wouldn't break the game to allow multiple transactions (1 Trade chip per!) to be paid for in one go (with a Gold for example), but the rules say the transactions are independent and discrete.

- Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
That doesn't answer the question as to why you couldn't trade a gold watch for milk, bread, and eggs (and let them keep the change)...

There's one guy selling milk, and a different guy selling the bread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
How funny!

This exact situation came up last weekend - a player wanted to use 3 trade chips and a Gold resource to purchase 2 Wood and 1 Steel. I told him that's not how it worked, and then we had a discussion about whether or not that was like going to the grocery store and paying for milk with a $5 bill and not getting change. I suggested it was more like trading a gold watch for milk and then asking for change. That doesn't answer the question as to why you couldn't trade a gold watch for milk, bread, and eggs (and let them keep the change)...

It probably wouldn't break the game to allow multiple transactions (1 Trade chip per!) to be paid for in one go (with a Gold for example), but the rules say the transactions are independent and discrete.

- Seth

A gold isnt 5 silver. Gold is a resource with a special ability to use it to pay for $5 of one cost, without receiving change.

Imo, it isnt like buying milk, bread, and eggs together at the grocery stroe with a $5 bill. The trade trip represents the ability to make a business transaction for a significant quantity of wood, steel, whatever, from a specific supplier who has that resource. The guy you are trading with only has '1 wood', he doesnt have more. Getting more requires another transaction where you find another seller with sufficient quantity, and buy from him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

You'd lose that delicious "damn, I'm short 1 token" angst that this game repeatedly gives you.

I think the current system is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:

You'd lose that delicious "damn, I'm short 1 token" angst that this game repeatedly gives you.

I think the current system is great.

Yeah it works well. Seth was suggesting that you would still use one trade chip per buy, but that you would pay a Gold as 5 towards the cost of buying, say, a Steel and a Food. Its true that it wouldnt break the game to allow this. It would increase the rules complexity of the Gold ability and marketplace trades.

I think that the simpler rules are better in this case, as the game doesnt need the ability to do this - you could almost always have silver available.

When in doubt, going with the method that requires the least rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.