Popular Tags: [View All]
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Some reviewers have said that the stock market makes trashing prices too easy. In lieu of a new SPI, I reckon this could at least be alleviated for current players by masking off bits of the stock market (with poker chips or something), so that this:

becomes this (excuse the quick and nasty photoshop):

This still keeps Drew's design goal of making all positive movement a $10 gain and all negative movement a $10 loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
A ledge would be an easy addition, as well.

Edit: Much easier than.... For instance.... This:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the ledge idea. Why was the strict 10/10 a design goal again? Doesn't that go against the standard 18xx motivations for chasing better share appreciation?

I suppose you could always graft multiple jumps for dividends over share price onto this boring shaped market. While interesting it changes the shape of investment motivations rather away from the standard 1830 branch ones.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
drewdane wrote:
A ledge would be an easy addition.. much easier than.... For instance.... [hex chart]

Drew, a couple of candid comments about the hex chart you posted for 'level 4'-

- a hex chart seems very misplaced in a game that is, at its heart, an introduction to 18xx in general. (This one has stock splits, too- right?) Imho, this simply takes 18ez in the wrong direction- even, a futile direction. (If I want to play a really complex, rich or 'different' 18xx, 18ez is the last place I would look for that- 1854, 1844, 1856 all provide richly textured alternative 18xx spaces.)

- That chart is ugly- with all the blank space in the pool and par areas, it looks like a bath mat. (Of course, that's easily remedied- w/ tasteful hints of steamy 18xx goddesses riding locomotives.)

- A good 2d chart w/ accelerated stock appreciation, a ledge, and other 1830-inspired basics, is much more compelling.

- I can appreciate that you probably want to offer existing customers something 'really different' in a level 4 package, and you may be loathe to replace the 18ez-iii chart with a "similar-but-different" 18ez-iv chart- but there's a lot more to the chart than whether it's 2d or hex, a lot of room for a better chart at level 4, and this really seems the natural direction for 18ez.

just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
You could put both in an expansion: a traditional 1830 style chart (with coloured zones etc), and a wacky hex chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.