Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Recommendation wanted: GMT fall sale rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own several GMT games, and have a few more on pre-order.

I've received 2 P500 games this year (Hellenes and Kaiser's Pirates) and want to take advantage of GMT's fall sale.

Thing is, I have many of their games, and a few on my wishlist that might have been bought by my secret santa or santa grogs.

With that in mind, help me out with some suggestions about good games for me.

GMT games I own, and what I think of them.

10's: Twilight Struggle, and the deluxe edition's already ordered.

9's: Unhappy King Charles!, Manoeuvre

8's: CC:E (and all expansions), CC, Here I Stand, Conquest of Paradise

7's: Santa Fe Rails, Under the Lily Banners/Gustav Adolf the Great (the rest of the Musket & Pike are out of print alas), Kaiser's Pirates, Battle Line

6's: Clash of Monarchs (though I really need to give it another go)

Unplayed: Hellenes (but it's by the designer of other faves like EastFront (10), Rommel in the Desert, etc), Fields of Fire, Paths of Glory, Pacific Typhoon

P500 preorders: Labyrinth, Leaping Lemmings, Sun of York, Crown of Roses, Maria (Histogames), Angola (MMP), Fighting Formations, Nothing Gained but Glory, Pax Brittanica

Other wargames I really like: Richard III, EastFront, Friedrich, Napoleon's Triumph, Great Medieval Battles

Periods I'm not really interested in: ACW, American Revolution

So, based on that, recommendations from GMT's in stock games?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nolan
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger;

Hi. I had one 50% game, and opted for 1914:Twilight in the East. It was between that and the Caucasus Campaign (gotta love those big counters!). It was a tough call.
Good luck!


James
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa: Kiev to Rostov - It seems like a series that appreciates in value- meaning that once it goes out of print tends to get pricey (well others in the EF have).

It would be a decent game to see if you really like the series (I am sort of biased, and sort of not - in that I have all of the titles, but have not had the chance to spread one out an play it).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Pursuit of Glory. It's not as complicated as some make it sound, and the tension level in the game is high and constant.

I also highly recommend Successors if you can put together a 4-group.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
Avatar
mb
Get Command & Colors: Ancients! I am quite surprised that it's not on your wish list. Get the first expansion (Greece vs. Eastern Kingdoms), too. These allow you to play Hannibal, Scipio Africanus, Alexander the Great, and many others. If you like the series even half as much as I do, you'll then dive in and get the rest of the expansions.

Kevin
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you interested in the American Revolution. I would suggest Monmouth or Saratoga. If you are interested in WWI, I would suggest Grand Illusion or Pursuit of Glory. Twilight in the East is a monster game and requries a serious commitment.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
if you like the Musket & Pike series you might like Men of Iron.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit in the same boat. I would normally order Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War but since it's on my wishlist, it's possible secret santa could send that one.

As such I am hesitating btw Barbarossa: Kiev to Rostov, 1941 or The Caucasus Campaign

The second seems it would have more chances to hit the table(can be played in one sitting?) but since it's so new, no review yet

Decision, decision. Almost as bad as having a bad hand at Twilight Struggle

Edit: I second the recommendation for Successors (third edition), really great game at 4 and still pretty good at 3.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Heath
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors would be a good choice definately as suggested above and yes get the 1st expansion too for the Greek and Eastern armies.
My wife's getting me expansion 2
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be able to pass up Under the Lily Banners for half of half ($17). I'll probably also pick up a couple of the deluxe maps that I don't have, and maybe the 5 player Sword of Rome expansion.

The Caucasus Campaign is supposed to have a tournament scenario that can be played in a couple of hours. I pre-ordered the game, but haven't received my copy yet...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mummykitty wrote:
I won't be able to pass up Under the Lily Banners for half of half ($17).


Ya, you really can't for that price. I just got a copy of it and it looks to be top notch! I have the first scenario set up on my table right now and it is playing out pretty well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Reed
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Kinwolf wrote:
I'm a bit in the same boat. I would normally order Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War but since it's on my wishlist, it's possible secret santa could send that one.

As such I am hesitating btw Barbarossa: Kiev to Rostov, 1941 or The Caucasus Campaign

The second seems it would have more chances to hit the table(can be played in one sitting?) but since it's so new, no review yet

Decision, decision. Almost as bad as having a bad hand at Twilight Struggle

Edit: I second the recommendation for Successors (third edition), really great game at 4 and still pretty good at 3.

I'm considering the same games as you. Can't some of Barbarossa's scenarios be played in one sitting?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drimas wrote:
Kinwolf wrote:
I'm a bit in the same boat. I would normally order Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War but since it's on my wishlist, it's possible secret santa could send that one.

As such I am hesitating btw Barbarossa: Kiev to Rostov, 1941 or The Caucasus Campaign

The second seems it would have more chances to hit the table(can be played in one sitting?) but since it's so new, no review yet

Decision, decision. Almost as bad as having a bad hand at Twilight Struggle

Edit: I second the recommendation for Successors (third edition), really great game at 4 and still pretty good at 3.

I'm considering the same games as you. Can't some of Barbarossa's scenarios be played in one sitting?


Good question, I do not know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up picking up Men of Iron. I might still get a second game, the sale's on until the 3rd.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I broke down for The Caucasus Campaign for myself. I read the rules over the weekend and checked the vassal module. That convinced me I would have started a game over vassal already too if the CRT table had been available somewhere(but I fully understand the reasoning behind not making everything available online). Makes the wait for the box even harder

Btw, huge thanks to anyone making those vassal modules, they are really nice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roach
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Kinwolf wrote:
I broke down for The Caucasus Campaign for myself. I read the rules over the weekend and checked the vassal module. That convinced me


I think this is a good choice. I’ve been giving this a solo run and based on my experience so far, it looks like a really good game. There a lot of critical decisions to be made by both sides every turn and the game can be played in one sitting. Also, from what I have read on Consim, and from what I can see in my solo-games, it seems very well balanced. In addition, the events table and random reinforcements add a good amount of variability.


-Jason
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I ended up picking up Men of Iron. I might still get a second game, the sale's on until the 3rd.


And I did cave and get a second game - I ordered The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
Just one more day....

I am considering;

Carthage: The First Punic War

Prussia's Glory II

I am eligible for two games at 50% off.

=============

Well, it is about over, and I went ahead and got 1914: Twilight in the East.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.