Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So apologies if this is common knowledge, but would it be possible to cobble together a four player game with two maps and just the original game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to the Epic scenarios on CCAncients.net:
http://www.ccancients.net/Rules/Expansion-3/expansion-3-offi...

Best thing to do is to look at the required units and see what you need and compare that to the inventory of your set(s). You may have to fudge the number of blocks, perhaps putting out just 1 or two blocks per unit and using pennies to represent additional blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
So apologies if this is common knowledge, but would it be possible to cobble together a four player game with two maps and just the original game?

I'm not sure, but I think it might be an awful lot of cobbling. The mapboard I think might be the main issue, because the joined 2 mapboards meet in the centre with half-hexes. You could make this out of photocopies or something..

The deck is the same (at least in Expansion 3), and with 2 sets of blocks you should be able to make up the unit mix.

I guess it would be possible to fight two battles using one Army hand on each dise. Need many house rules for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the effort here is just to play with 4 people and no extra or new decks, I think the only question is whether you have two of the right kind of board. 3rd edition comes with the mounted, 2 sided board, and if you have 2 of them, you could do this.

See the "multiplayer" rules at the header or in the file section. With these rules, you could play 4 people on a regular (single) board (or 3 for that matter-- 2 on 1 side and the other side solo), with one or (with 4 players) both of the multiplayer sides alternating card play. (It's easier to read those rules than for me to condense them!).

If the goal is "bigger game, larger surface" you could do the same thing as mentioned in multiplayer rules but use 2 boards (if they fit together). The next point is "what to play?" The CCA support site lists all the scenarios in the game, so you can find the Epic scenarios that use Gray Romans and Carthage (or just substitute units for other army battles.) While the original Epic 1 scenarios tended to be "more than one army's blocks," many of the scenarios in Epic 2 can be played with the blocks of just one army.

In game terms, "Epic" means more than just 2 maps and maybe lots of units, but a system of playing multiple cards (sometimes) in a single turn. While I think of Epic mostly as the multiplayer system with one player on each side holding all the cards and deciding which ones will be played, I see a lot of folks enjoying Epic 1 on 1...so for them it's the larger battle space and the ability to play certain combinations of more than one card in a single turn. It's interesting and different. Epic 1 was built using the deck from the base game and you can too.

But if your only goal is to play FOUR folks at the same time, you might find it easier just going with a single map and trying the alternating play routine. This is a good teaching technique and we've found it enjoyable for just mingling more than 2 people at one time in the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried the multiplayer rules kd mentions and they really are a lot of fun. It is not 'epic' at all, really-- just a way of playing a good game for 2 with 3 or 4 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
be played, I see a lot of folks enjoying Epic 1 on 1...so

How do you play 1 on 1???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just realized my only response was thumbing posts--thanks for these great suggestions!

Here's a link to the Multi and Solo Rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonardo,

They play Epic 1 on 1 by simply using the rules as written but leaving out the "section commanders." Each player acts as the "overall commander" but just takes care of all the moving.

While it lacks the multi-player aspect, it is bigger board, usually larger armies, and--the part I think they enjoy the most-- the opportunity of playing several cards in a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, I think GMT will tell you that most games of Epic are played 1 on 1 since many gamers have difficulty getting more than one opponent together at a time. Works great either way, for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.