mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Liberty, a nice game with clear and simple, yet challenging rules: you get both history and playability with a very fascinating game system (I was so satisfied with the game I just bought Crusader Rex, though I’ve my old polemique about the mapboard and cards’ quality Columbia is used to the give to its otherwise great games).

As I’ve already poited out somewhere else here on the BGG (as also some other liberty gamers did), there’s just one thing I don’t really like in the game: after several games me and my buddies felt to have just too little strategic choices as the bulk of victory points are on the line the Baltimora/Philly/NY/Hartford/Boston (and let’s say in general in the northern part of the map area): more than usually all the game was a matter of direct confrontation on that area, being the great part of the field of play not worth so many efforts. Namely, the southern area was rarely seeing any action .

I understand the historical point: up there were the most important cities and that area saw the majority of the battles but…from this point of view the game was lacking sometimes a real variety/replayability and – no matter which were your untried strategies – the point was always how to get or not loose the Baltimora-Boston line.

So, after quite a lot of plays, according with my gaming buddies, I’ve made my self up. I pimped my Liberty mapboard .

Nothing too revolutionary: I just shifted (by means of some little adhesive labels) 4 VP from North to South, transferring one point from NY to Charleston, one from Hartford to Wilmington, one from Springfield to Yorktown and finally one from Newport to Georgetown.

We tried the modified mapboard last nite and actually, it works: finally the South saw some action and both the players had they problems to figure out where the other guy would attack as the options worth of a try were actually more. The modification is not so heavy neither anti-historic, as also in Savannah, Charleston or in Yorktown there were some important actions, for what I remember (and actually in our game the south start to get in trouble as soon as the French got into the game, as happened historically).

I actually won (as American&French) that’s probably why I’m so enthusiastic !

ps. just to be complete, I use the 25VP marginal british victory rule and I choose my replacement, paying 1P for a C unit and 2P for a A-B unit (the same for prisoners - so I pay double to get them in)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Einhorn
United States
Millburn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not that knowledgeable about the American Revolution, but let me offer a slightly different idea.

Historically the colonies were not all firmly united and full of brotherly love for each other. Nor did anyone know the "victory Conditions".

Had the british invaded in the south the southern colonies would have demanded aid, and not sent resources up north. Also, the south was probably less anti-British than the north, To encourage both sides to fight for the south, how about this rule:

If the British control X victory points in the south at the end of the year, the British gain 1 additional permanent VP.
Define South as you like (maybe Virginia and south), and select whatever you want for X (like 6-7 VP) This will encourage the British to invade the south and the American player to fight hard to contain them. I'm not saying this is historical, but I don't think it historical that had the south been overrun, the southern colonies would haev said "thats ok, we will win on VPs in 5 years". I think wargames not let players act in a way based on knowledge that was not available at the time, or was politically impossible.

Also - I like the optional rule someone proposed of allowing draws if the British have a certain number of VP (something like 25-29). To add some uncertainty try this (assuming the British don't earn 30VP at the end of the game):

- roll a die and add it to the number of VP the British have. If it exceeds 29, the game is a Draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheBeast TheBeast
msg tools
The Middle Atlantic States (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Delaware) and the Deep South (South Carolina, Georgia and North Carolina) held the most Tories, aka loyalists.

The Chesapeake Colonies (Virginia, Maryland) and New England were solidly Patriots, aka rebels.

Variant: allow Tory Militia to be recruited in British occupied and controlled Blue Non-Supply Towns in the Deep South and Middle Atlantic. Allow Patriot Militia to be recruited in any Patriot Controlled Blue Non-Supply Towns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let any two blocks move for 1 Action Point, to make moving single blocks more cost effective.

Let Loyalists and American Militia go straight into the Replacement Pool, rather than be captured.

Allow Loyalists and Militia to be recruited at any friendly Town, not just Supply Towns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.