God's Playground» Forums » General

Subject: What is your (average) score and other questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
To those who have played the game more than once (I have! :-): what is the average score you end up with? Mine is just around 50.

[1]. And another one, a bit of more weight: do you find the game schematic i.e. of low replay-ability?
[2]. In your games, was it Ukraine and Lithuania where most - if not all - estates were built?
[3]. Have ever one estate survived in Prussia?
[4]. Did you lose (I did! Four takes, ~50% chance to score, I failed) by unlucky roll i.e. has victor been ever determined by just one dice roll?
[5]. Have you ever rescued Vienna?
[6]. How do you feel about enemy cubes being canceled in one to one ratio? Do you find this mechanism 'manageable' or random?

No, I am not biased. I love the theme - hey! no wonder! - I love the production, I love the map, I even like how mechanisms interlock with each other, but it looks as if the game was very susceptible to group thinking thus leaving just one straight path to victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve E.
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After two plays I've won twice with a score around 53.

1) Not sure exactly what you mean here.

2) Yep. Those two areas certainly seem the easiest to defend. Particularly in turn 4.

3) Not personally, but the other two players each had a surviving estate in Prussia the last time I played.

4) Yep. But that's happened in every single game that involves dice...

5) Came kinda close the second game. Tough to do, it seems.

6) It's OK by me.

I have some of the same concerns you do re: the long-term replay-ability of this game if everyone just camps out in Lithuania and the Ukraine. However, I've thoroughly enjoyed the first two plays.

Time will tell, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
1copse wrote:
1) Not sure exactly what you mean here.

1copse wrote:
I have some of the same concerns you do re: the long-term replay-ability of this game if everyone just camps out in Lithuania and the Ukraine.

What you say.

Why bother with not so juicy Lesser Poland if other two ain't going to support what I am up to? Why bother with Greater Poland - for the same reason? Prussia just sucks in terms of 'hold-ability'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
1copse wrote:
4) Yep. But that's happened in every single game that involves dice...

Sure. As I said, I had four takes on hitting once (one time, that is!) and score four points. Having failed, I scored 47, whilst the winner grabbed victory with 50 points. You get the picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) ?

2) After several plays, our games are starting to have almost all of the estates built in every region.

3) Yes, of course. The last time I played, I had my city upgrade in Prussia.

4) ?

5) We have had players try, but never completely successful.

6) I find it a bit odd. It make sense thematically, but always doing it in clockwise order seems arbitrary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three of us have been playing the game for a few weeks now. Our average score is around 60 VP's.

1. I think the game does have a finite life. We're still discovering more ways to hurt each other but eventually we'll have all the answres and move on.

2. Initially in the first game(s). Now estates get built everywhere and sometimes EVERY estate gets built.

3. Often. In last nights game Prussia finished with all 4 estates intact.

4. Due to the number of die rolls, and the fact that in almost every game the difference between first and last is about 7 points, I suppose you could argue that the odd crucial roll made a difference. We don't notice it though and have never felt that "luck" decided the result.

5. Absolutely! If you have any kind of interest in Great and Little Poland and want it to pay off you MUST crush the Ottomans on turn 3. The difference is a 4th turn threat of 9 and 3 as opposed to 10 and 12!!!

6. A purely Wallace mechanic to keep you thinking. If you're prepared to risk estate value it is the "third option" to defending Poland. The game is more about manipulating the political circumstances to your own benefit and this relatively straight forward mechanic makes that all the more difficult and interesting...

Playground has depth, like most Wallace games, that can't truly be appreciated until several plays are behind you. The enemy can quite easily be controlled and kept at bay. The challenge is letting them come in a controlled and advantageous way for your faction more so than keeping them out. Managing your cubes is a major part of good play. You need nobles to do things, but you need cubes to score hits, and cubes stop loss and spread - sometimes the exact opposite to what you want. Early games tend to go one of two ways: Either the players spend too much effort trying to screw each other that Poland in general, and western poland in particular falls apart. Or they spend too much effort acting in the National interest rather than their own. Better balance is discovered with experience. You've got to often do both simultaneously and have a plan to take up the opportunities presented by the odd "cleansing".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.