badge
mbmbmbmbmb

... this would be the probable map of Spain:

Food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nah. I think that the whole Bourbon unification by decree of the country would have been reversed. I would expect more of a return to a federation or personal union reminiscent of the Crown of Aragon - after all, federalism (inherited from Austracist support) was high in all these areas, so I'd expect other Catalan-speaking areas and Aragon moving towards a restoration of foral liberties that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention France being a lot bigger, Italy a lot smaller, Poland a lot more existent, and Holland and Belgium a lot more non-existent.

It would never have held together for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Salvador

Badalona
Catalonia
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
Nah. I think that the whole Bourbon unification by decree of the country would have been reversed.

Possible but also doubtful.
By the Napoleonic Wars some of the background trends were already in action by The Thirty Years' War.
Take a look of this 1648 map:

France has always been active in its southern border. An inheritance of Charlemagne?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Salvador

Badalona
Catalonia
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
It would never have held together for a long time.

Probable. Being a dictatorship it would have had a huge succesion issue (did I mention 秦始皇帝?).
The Napoleonic inheritance is an awkward subject. Its political character is scary, but it nevertheless contibuted to the dissemination of the ideas of the Encyclopédie and the Illustration.
For which I am grateful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the Polish Lithuanian commonwealth used to stretch from the Blatic to the Black sea; Sicely and Flanders were Spanish; Finland was Swedish; Turkey was a multi-ethnic empire. So what? In the age of nationalism the borders have been firmly drawn accross (often invented) lines of ethnicity and common language and culture. Often, the lines of ethnicity and language have been changed to fit the borders of the Nation. So very likely either that part of Spain would now be French in language or culture, or it would have been added to Spain the hard way. Or are you exploring a scenario where nationalism never happened?

Edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Salvador

Badalona
Catalonia
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
Often, the lines of ethnicity and language have been changed to fit the borders of the Nation.
Tue.
Venga2 wrote:
So very likely either that part of Spain would now be French in language or culture, or it would have been added to Spain the hard way.
Mixed record here: 1 out of the 5 French 1812 departements involved is now (almost completely) French in language and culture and the other 4 have been added to Spain the hard way (more than once).
Venga2 wrote:
Or are you exploring a scenario where nationalism never happened?
I'm not that naif cry .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
If Nappy had won....

....I wouldn't have all these terrible books by Englishmen telling me how the Black Duke singlehandedly defeated the Ogre..... shake

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.