Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After an easily won game of Lord of the Rings last week with a couple of other friends (after a very long time since the last game), LoTR was pulled out again for a five hander with my regular group. Most were a bit a rusty, but all had played before. Fortunately,the sixth member of our group failed to materialise (sorry Keith, you were otherwise missed), but this meant we could dispense with the Sauron expansion.

We placed Sauron on 12.

We started out without a great deal of planning, although with the sense that caution should be exercised, so no extra cards were taken in Bag End for distribution to greedy hobbits. Our only clear sense of strategy, gleaned from last week's game, was that it would make good sense to put Sam in the ring bearer role for Mordor so that his resistance to the corrupting effects of the die would be most usefully employed.

Rivendell's extra cards were greedily lapped up. Moria, whilst not exactly a doddle, resulted only in the slight corruption of a few of the hobbits. Hands began to thin somewhat. Lothlorien's extra cards were greedily lapped up. Only poor Pippin lacked the sense (or judgement, or just a plain card) to pass the lady's test and thus become a tad more corrupted.

Helm's Deep was where a sense of palpable panic began to be felt. Such terrible events lurked ahead that we pressed along the fight track, but mainly to no avail since all but the last event played out: the Dark Lord advanced, the scenario ended, most hobbits were lacking sufficient tokens to save themselves from corruption. All were dragged closer to the darkness.

Shelob's Lair was dealt with quickly, and again the distance between hobbits and Sauron narrowed. But Sam became ring bearer at the end of the scenario as we had planned, and Gandalf used his powers to uncorrupt the stout little fellow. Sam stood on the second space of the corruption track.

In Mordor things fell apart rapidly. Everyone was swept toward the advancing Sauron, until there was a line of Hobbits all on the same square: Frodo, Merry, Pippin and Fatty, each an inch away from destruction with still a handful of steps to go on the main track (including the two die rolls). Sam put on the ring. Sauron advanced. All bar Sam fell into darkness. Sam corrupted, but at last threw the ring into the pit, and corrupted once more.

The game ended with Sauron and Sam nose to nose, but with Baradur destroyed; the closest ending of LoTR that I have seen.

I really enjoy this game. I don't understand why I don't play it more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
Deodand wrote:

I really enjoy this game. I don't understand why I don't play it more often.

Ditto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.