Popular Tags: [View All]
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, what are we all getting for the family this Christmas? We have a 6 & 8 year old who enjoy a game or two, for example Hunters & Gatherers, Zooloretto, Gulo Gulo, etc go down very well. I'm still looking for a family game for this Christmas, all suggestions welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Micro Mutants: Evolution is a blast with 4 players (we play with our 5 and 8 year olds) and currently only $10 at Fantasy Flight's sale (though shipping might be prohibitive to where you live).

Others that work well for us:

Qwirkle
FITS
Tiki Topple

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give a look at Tobago... It's one of those new hypes that actually has some substance. Not the best if you need deeper play, but a great family game and very creative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Dragonland and Fits hidden away for my 7 year old. I'll give her one and save the other for later. Fluch der Mumie is, I think, on its way from Germany; maybe for the 4 (almost 5) year old, I'll "playtest" it with my wife and see if we think should would be able to handle it. If not, I'll have to find something else, but she's tricky to buy games for. I can never tell what she'll like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked up Tumblin-Dice and it has been a hit. We've played it a ton over the past 2 days (our boys are 5 and 7)

Cubsfan31 wrote:
Micro Mutants: Evolution is a blast with 4 players (we play with our 5 and 8 year olds) and currently only $10 at Fantasy Flight's sale (though shipping might be prohibitive to where you live).

Others that work well for us:

Qwirkle
FITS
Tiki Topple

Have fun!

I agree with these (except for Tiki Topple. I've never played it.) Fits and Micro Mutants are 2 of our favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you are playing at christmas, what about a calm and peaceful game, where you can show each other, how much you love them ...

Like ...

Hmm ...

Frag ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good suggestions so far, certainly food for thought, thanks.

BTW, we already have Loopin' Louie, Diamant, Chateau Roquefort, Hey! That's My Fish and Pick Picknic. They go down very well with the kids, although, HTMF isn't requested as much as the others, maybe when they're a little older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Well I may have overdone it this year...

aged 10 3/4 - The Downfall of Pompeiiand Fairy Tale from Santa and Dominion from Grandma. (She really wanted Race for the Galaxy but I didn't want my brain to be burning reading the rules on Christmas day.)

aged 7 3/4 - Kayanak and For Sale (she picked that one) and Château Roquefort from Grandma

aged 3 3/4 - My First Carcassonne, Duck, Duck, Bruce and Gulo Gulo from Grandma.

Hmmm they all have spring birthdays. I might just put one game away each for then.

I imagine Pompeii and For Sale will see the most family play.

Oh their uncle is also buying them the monopoly/cluedo compendium. We don't have cluedo and even the youngest ripping the monopoly board in half last year hasn't dampened their enthusiasm for the game in spite of all the lovely games bought since finding this site!

So will definitely put some games away but which ones? LOL

Happy shopping!
Sarah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rose
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game of Life: Twists & Turns This game is a huge hit for my family. My daughter who is three has been able to play this game and loves it.

Kill Doctor Lucky This one could easily be played by kids and has a nice twist on clue. If your kids like Clue they will really like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Haley
msg tools
I still think it's hard to beat the Trivial Pursuit series, especially since they have so many varieties now. Trivial Pursuit and a big bowl of chex mix. Serious fun. [geekurl=http://fun-board-games.com]More ideas here.[/geekurl] Check out the Christmas page!

Beth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Haley
msg tools
First post. Could you tell? Anyway. Try this.

http://fun-board-games.com

Beth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Ruepprich
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac would be a great family game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A la carte has just arrived at our local game store, this looks like a load of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids, boy 8, girl 6 really enjoy Kinder Bunnies. http://www.geekdo.com/boardgame/14441

Dawn Under http://www.geekdo.com/boardgame/10814 is a good second choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive and Through the Desert

Are two games that don't see listed here, that I really want to try with my kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not tried Hive, but Through the Desert is enjoyed by the kids. My wife isn't so keen though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erhan Cubukcuoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Before one week ago I added a new print and play fun game. It's nice as a simple family game or for childs 6+. It's very easy to make. If you never made a print and play game too, you can make in one hour. This game may be a free alternative. Some people tryed and like him. May be funny for adults too

Silk Road Maker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.