Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kevin loeffler
United States
La Porte
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Innsmouth in the mail on Tuesday, it felt like an eternity before the scheduled gaming session tonight. "5:00 Arkham Horror, Be there and be square!" read the text i sent. It was well received and the turnout was six including me. I had the board set up, the pizzas made, the beer on ice, and the coffee ready. We immediately began a rules refresher for the rest of the group. I play dungeons and dragons with these guys so they had retained most of the minutia from the few sessions we had played before and we were up and running in no time. They are not however, as into the boardgaming scene as I. If we are together for hours playing a game it may as well be D and D in their eyes.

We drew up Shub-Niggurath for the ancient evil, so we were in for alot of tough fighting, good stuff! We picked Trisha, Bob, Ursula, Minh, Mandy, and Norman. Not a bad group... I did, in my excitement forget to install the personal story variation, bummer. I also opted not to use the herald variation to keep it a little simpler for the others who are simply not as interested as I am.

Things started very slowly, 3 gates popped up in 3 rounds, only one produced 2 monsters who were immediately removed by the text of the mythos that brought them to Arkham. (Headline, remove all monsters from french hill streets and locations)

I tried to convince Ursula to get moving on one of the gates because she had 6 clue tokens already. She had other plans, she chose to dawdle and take random encounters at Miskatonic U... Mandy had pulled an enchanted blade and decided to be our enforcer on the streets of Innsmouth. She entered a gate at Y'ha Nthlei on the fourth round with 4 gates open... I was Harold and I had 5 clue tokens, but was boxed in at the historical society by a proto shoggoth and I didn't want to risk missing an evade check and entering battle with a derringer. Bob had an elder sign but was delayed from failing an encounter at the unvisited isle. Trish had 5 clue tokens but was trying to pass the Terrible Experiment rumor. For the record we never passed it, but Trish kept the number down all game. Bloody Shoggoths!

It was a race for Mandy to seal her gate with her clue tokens. We lucked out in the 6th round as another rumor came up and didn't open a gate. Otherwise we would have hit our limit right there and lost on the 6th mythos phase. She managed to seal it with 2 dice and there was much rejoicing!

The next mythos phase produced a new gate, of course. and we were still in trouble of Shub waking up early and handing us our under geared butts on a a platter. Ursula went through (finally) to the plateau of leng, and went there also only from a different location. After completing our encounters there but before returning home, there were two monster surges. (we were both delayed in our encounters forcing a second that we passed) The surges put a shoggoth and a proto shoggoth on both the locations we were returning to as well as a shoggoth on another gate and a hound of tindalos and a Lloigor on another. Well, thats 5 diamond creatures and 2 squares. Ursula was first to return, she evaded both of her foes then I mine. Ursula sealed her gate with 5 tokens sending all Shoggoth spawn back to the Plateau of Leng. Then I sealed mine and changed its symbol to the square, effectively sealing a second gate and clearing all monsters on the board in a single round.

It was all smooth sailing from there, we kept drawing up gate locations that had been sealed which gave us a little worry as the deep ones were building up in Innsmouth, but we had Mandy passing hints to the feds, so the worry was much less knowing we could end that at any time. Minh pulled through and sealed a gate, killing Barnabas in the meantime. lowering the already low doom track by 1 to 6. Bob had 1 open gate and 1 Elder Sign. We all went to try our hand against the flying polyp at Miskatonic U streets to pass the rumor... and we all failed. We were a pathetic fighting group with no good gear except for Trish's sword of glory. While Bob was in the Dreamland, the Mythos failed to open another gate. The deep ones numbered 4 and right before Bob returned, we turned over a Mythos that caused a monster surge with 1 open gate... You may have noticed a theme with shoggoths tonight. (We did too and thoroghly mixed the monster cup after drawing 5 shoggoth types in 1 pull) That theme continued. 2 shoggoths appeared, a formless spawn, a dhole, and 2 cultists. We all rushed the gate and made miraculous rolls to ensure Bob's safe arrival back in Arkham. Okay I didn't do anything to help in that battle, it was mostly Ursula's recently acquired shotgun. Gate sealed, and done.

That was also my first win by sealing all the gates on the board. It was a good game, but we simply didn't draw hardly any cards involving the Innsmouth Xpac. That was disappointing as I was really excited to see what difference it would make. Maybe next time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loskevino wrote:
Things started very slowly, 3 gates popped up in 3 rounds, only one produced 2 monsters who were immediately removed by the text of the mythos that brought them to Arkham. (Headline, remove all monsters from french hill streets and locations)

With 5+ investigators, each gate spawns 2 monsters, so you should've had 6 monsters from 3 gates. Nasty Shoggoths (and others as well) can avoid those return to cup specific cards if the movement symbol is right, since Mythos card text is applied last.

Quote:
We all rushed the gate and made miraculous rolls to ensure Bob's safe arrival back in Arkham. Okay I didn't do anything to help in that battle, it was mostly Ursula's recently acquired shotgun. Gate sealed, and done.

Curious about this. You know that on the turn you return to Arkham, you get a free pass on the monsters at the gate, no need to fight, you cna ignore them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin loeffler
United States
La Porte
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the monster movement held the monsters in place. (no shoggoths that round which is good, because I am looking at the card right now and diamonds would have moved) I believe that one was a warlock and wouldn't have moved anyway. And I tend to play the house rules in the board's favor. I continue the theme of fighting monsters during movement phase even when returning from Outlands. I am a little torn about that though since the idea is that when returning, the monsters aren't aware of your presence. I maintain that they are guarding the gates and you must deal with them before the gates. That also caused a problem for when Ursula and I returned from the Plateau of Leng on the same round. We had an environment card boosting our sneak at the time, which helped a ton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin loeffler
United States
La Porte
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should also be noted that the Egyptian exhibit (Environment) was open on the streets of Miskatonic U for a long time in addition to the Terrible Experiment rumor. The environment allows you to make a lore -1 check to receive 1 clue token, so Trish and Minh were stocking up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
That Flying Polyp is tough, but the +1 makes it and all of those shoggoths almost impossible to beat against Shub, with the physical resistance, to boot.

Norm can really come in handy with his ability, if "he" can roll a die.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.