Thumb up
2 Posts

The Settlers of Catan: The Fishermen of Catan» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Three strategies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ozren Harlovic
flag msg tools
After many 4-player games, me, Harry and Sebastian sit for a 3-player game. The map turns interesting - great numbers on grain and sheep, wood got the worst numbers.

Harry, always enthusiastic about fish, picks fishing ports for both his starting settlements. Sebastian untypically also goes for an extreme strategy - he picks a sheep port and a settlement that uses three sheep fields. With only 1 out of 4 opponent settlements inland, I was left with plenty of room. I pick two great spots and cover all resources, with decent numbers, too.

I was leader from the start. Harry wasn't getting his numbers and Sebastian's sheep income wasn't as efficient as my income. I had 6 VPs while Sebastian had 4 and Harry 3. It seemed I already won. Then they turned on me. They stopped trading with me, I got the Boot and the bandits kept taking my cards (I don't remember ever seeing that many 7's rolled, yet none by me).

Sebastian decided to spend the few rocks he was getting on Development cards and as a result he didn't have any cities. He found himself with 5 settlemens and wasting resources to push his road to stop me from winning with the Longest Road. Harry was slowly building his cities.

I got to 9 VPs (needed 11 because of the boot) and needed just 1-2 roads to win. However, I didn't have a 3:1 port or a fishing port till the end so I could only trade 4:1 with the bank. I suffered bandit attacks and Harry stealing my resources with fish. Still, I was one dice throw from win.

It seemed Harry was the contender. He got to 8 VPs (4 cities) and after a round of lucky dice throws had like 15 resource cards and a third of all the fish there is in the game. He managed two roads and a settlement and spent the rest on Development cards, but he didn't get the needed VP in them.

Then Sebastian pushed his road some more and showed us his cards. Out of 6 Development cards, he got 3 VPs! Plus his 5 villages and the Longest road - he won! Without a single city!

It turned out Harry would have won as the next player if Sebastian didn't. After being so dominant for the most of the game, I came last. :( A little frustrating but still a great game. :)
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
flag msg tools
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
In games with the boot, I'll usually sandbag for as long as I can to avoid getting it, and then leap ahead near the end. It can be a little risky, but it's better than getting stuck having to get to 11.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.