United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To Whom It May Concern,

Games Workshop has been the most hated game company in the industry since at least 1994. After years of crying out for people to stop buying their products, finally, finally in 2007, their asshattery finally caused them to lose money. Lights shined down from Gods and Goddesses above and finally GW's dark mark on the industry would be gone forever. For two years they anguished and then....

Space Hulk (3rd Edition) is released. The smell of freshly printed paper and the most amazing sculpts ever were here. Like a bunch of idiot children, we suddenly forget the sins of their past, buy into their bullshit limited-edition weight-based marketing scheme, and pay about $60 more for the game than its worth.

And guess what... 2009, they're back making money. Furthermore, back using that money to harass their customers.

So to those of you who bought Space Hulk, particularly you that bought multiple copies just to drive up the price, we salute you. User submissions are so pointless. I, for one, am glad to see them gone.

Next, we shall devise a way to get rid of all the pictures of snakes in boxes.

Thanks for listening,
KakarisMaelstrom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone has a problem with GW, or any company, they are welcome to not play the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see we're on the same page Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thank you for the salute, as I am an owner of the 3rd edition Space Hulk. I am enjoying the game a lot now and see it being played for years to come. I did not buy multiple copies, but now regret that. Not for the resale, but because I can see needing another copy to expand the fun later! This game really is that cool.
I'm sorry GW went apparently over board in their IP protection. It does make them appear totally uninterested in their customers. It is their right as business people to make these kinds of decisions, though they also have to deal with the consequences of the business decisions made.
I'm glad for the people who wish to fight back by not playing or getting rid of their GW games. That is also your decision to make. I will not follow you, but I do admire your stand. I have bought very little GW stuff in my gaming life. I like what little I have and will continue to enjoy it. It is maddening that fan based material is gone right now, but maybe later they will revisit this decision.
I am content with my purchase. They are not offering to sell me another one, so I really have no further business with them at this time, possibly never again.
In the end I still have this box with an amazing game with amazing bits. I really don't need any more from GW. I can still do my own variants in my house, because that is the law.
Am I happy with GW? No, but I don't expect much from them, so they can't really bother me.

Anyone wishing to protest by getting rid of their SpaceHulk, to stick it to the man, please send it to me. I'll take real good care of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great product, horrible management
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep...I absolutely love Space Hulk (will probably play it again with my son today), and I am dismayed by Games Workshop.

The funny thing to me is that after years of neglect and disapproval, GW was finally on the cusp of enjoying widespread adulation on BGG as a result not only of the new Space Hulk (the first GW game to make the BGG top ten), but also due to some of their licensed products that FFG is marketing (aka Chaos in the Old World, Warhammer:Invasion, etc.).

Right at the moment when GW's star was burning brightest on BGG, GW themselves take a sledgehammer to the whole thing and wreck it! Now, I know that obviously GW cares not a whit about its popularity on BGG as compared to its all-consuming concern about its IP, but still, I just think its humourous that at their greatest moment of triumph on BGG, they themselves destroy it. Classic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think about writing an "open letter to GW", where all disappointed BGG users could "sign" by thumbing or adding a short comment. If only I were a native speaker...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm... I'm confused. I own Space Hulk 3rd ed. Should I do something now?

I mean, I can write an angry comment or something if it would help... ahem.. DAMN YOU, GAMES WORKSHOP! YOU SICKEN ME!

OK I know it's not the best but I'm tired and not particularly angry right now. I'll try to get worked up a bit more before my next post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Space Hulk with my brother over Thanksgiving. He loved it. I'm buying him a copy for Christmas.

He seemed to do fine without the player aids....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I only see one year they did not make money in the link you posted. You sure draw a lot of unfounded conclusions from one bad year.

Sure, the geekrage is at an all time high right now, but they do have to defend their IP. Thats the bottom line, regardless of the fallout from the fans.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fralish
United States
Yorktown Heights
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder wrote:
I only see one year they did not make money in the link you posted. You sure draw a lot of unfounded conclusions from one bad year.

Sure, the geekrage is at an all time high right now, but they do have to defend their IP. Thats the bottom line, regardless of the fallout from the fans.

Peace

OMG!!! you don't understand...there are PLAYER AIDS on the line here!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder wrote:

Peace

Ah, yes, you're right. Shareholders took a hit two years but only one year of loss.

I'd also like to note that it isn't JUST player aids on the line. Next we'll see all pictures painted with Citadel paints pulled because looking at them would tell you what color the paint is without visiting GW's page. Thankfully I never painted my minis so I'm still safe.... for now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder wrote:

Peace

Brent the only thing I'd say in response is don't take GW's word for what comprises their IP. What they say is their IP is based on a very aggressive posture formulated by their lawyers. It is not at all clear that a judge in a court would agree with their position. The problem is that few if any have the financial ability to challenge GW in court, so they get away with brazenly expanding their IP boundries. That's what has a lot of people upset here - GW's heavy-handed and predatory approach to claiming IP rights on much which may not in fact be covered by those rights, resulting in the loss of plenty of helpful, fan-created content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To whom I think it may concern, or not;

I have been reading through all the GW threads over this weekend, and I certainly understand the outlash.

I can appreciate the vigor and bounding enthusiasm many members of the BBG community have for those certain soft spots that those of us have for GW's games. I own nearly all of them.

I stumbled upon BBG awhile back (and became a member) looking up my old friend, the First Edtion SPACE HULK, quickly followed by WARHAMMER QUEST, DUNGEONQUEST, before that though ROGUE TROOPER and CHAINSAW WARRIOR, and only lately BLOOD BOWL.

When I found the huge amount of content for these games and millions more, and was impressed, really overwhelmed. What has kept me coming back and sometmes dropping a post, is the unfathomable depths of interaction and support.

Especially when Space Hulk the 3rd was released.

I've posted, in jest, that I own a million copies and toss them out to people as I drive down to street. (see pgs 47-49 and 123 of the 'Feel the Love thread'). The feeling hasn't gone away, depsite GW's recent actions for file removal and the BBG owenrs to act upon that.

Has there been long hours and tons of work done out of love for supplements and addtions, and new, exciting and worthwhile creative work for these games? -- 'Hell' to the 'yes', I say. And I am fortunate enough to have seen it.

So I've been on the fence until now, feeling I ought to weigh in.

And here's what I think:

I wish there could have been at least some negotiation on GW and BBG's part to attempt to resolve this, if at all possible, but more than likely the end result would be the same, the removal of the files. And as some have pointed out in other threads, GW isn't the only game producer to make this move.

So, does it feel like your heart has been stepped on?

Because mine sort of does.

Because many GW games are out of print and not supported by them any more, the torch has been taken up by the legion of people who love them and play them long before BBG showed up, because people will always be inspred to try to to make a variant, or a flow chart, or make their own Man O War cut out cards, or Blood Bowl Play cards, and find some one else that loves playing a great game no matter what.

Along with that, what GW doesn't understand is that there are plenty of other games out there to get one's hands on.

Long after the criticism ends, SPACE HULK will still play the way it plays, along with every other GW game.

But you can have my copy of SPACE HULK when you pry my cold dead fingers away from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tea - tempest - pot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been following the GW backlash threads with interest, but ... well, I don't share the sentiment. Sure, it sounds like the company took a heavy-handed approach in protecting its IP, but I don't feel the slightest bit of anger over it. I own Space Hulk 3E, Blood Bowl 3E and Necromunda, and I'll never get rid of any of those three games. They're good, fun games.

And if GW ever puts out a new edition of Warhammer Quest, I'll be one of the first to pre-order it.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctalbot wrote:
And if GW ever puts out a new edition of Warhammer Quest, I'll be one of the first to pre-order it.

I'll be interested to see how many minis they put in it, that's for sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can say what you like about the management, but since the LotR bubble burst in 2005 and GW hit a low point in 2007, they have been steadily growing.

and for a ll the hate they get, they get more love their way, because on the shop floors, they still for the most part do things properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are trying to protect their so called intellectual property (for whatever reason) -> It´s a rightful business decision...

I cease from buying any GW product -> Thats my rightful consumer decision...

Action -> Reaction

'nuff said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's not get over-excited about the big turnaround that Space Hulk 3 supposedly is, or that it shows GW is full of new ideas again.

It is simply a new edition of an old game (originally designed and made in a time when GW DID have new ideas), tweaked and with remodelled minis, and sold for an excessive price. It aims to inspire purchases from younger gamers who hadn't bought editions 1 or 2, and to tempt those older gamers who had, to part with their money again.

This re-release strategy has been GW's for years now, and has seen the company go from being regarded as one of the most revered sources of innovation and fun in the gaming industry, to a relentless seeker of money from 11-14 year olds and their parents through revising and recycling ideas.

The huge number, and 'OMG-I've-just-had-a-thought' nature, of posts from (obviously) tweeney gamers about SH3 looked like they would overwhelm BGG for a while there, and showed that GW has succeeded this time. Good on them maybe, for correctly estimating the market for it, but let's not confuse this with the company changing direction, or displaying innovation ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
To whom it may concern:

thanks for using "comprising" properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry guys, I am working on a new game that will replace Space Hulk in your hearts. Check out http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4262524 for further details and feel free to contribute to this community my project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And the sad thing is that in a few months to a year GW will prove me absolutely wrong and *will* put out Warhammer Quest at around 200-300$ and it will sell better than Space Hulk. Fans will be totally ga-ga and GW can do no wrong. Then - in a month or two GW will drop another wave of C&Ds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.