United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let's Go Pens!
badge
One more win...Beat the Sharks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware that this review is about the game components, not game play. I think normal reviews for either Monopoly Junior or this edition should suffice for that kind of information.

My daughter owns this game, given to her as a birthday present by my mom. Now for it being a Monopoly Junior game, I wasn't expecting any kind of magnificent euro game with wooden bits and beautiful game art...But for it being Hasbro, I was expecting a decent enough game that a kid would enjoy and be able to play several times. Unfortunately, a playable game was not what my daughter received.

I have seen other pictures available on BGG for this "princess edition" of this game. The box cover shots look the same as the version in my hands. In some of the BGG pics, I see a mounted board, similar to a monopoly board, only smaller (and with Disney graphics on it). I also see pictures of some cool injection molded plastic castles. If that was what was in her copy, you would hear no complaint from me concerning quality.

This edition my daughter has contains an unmounted board. The cardboard is similar thickness to a cereal box. The player tokens, which are an even thinner cardboard with a semi circle to wedge the the token's slot to make a cross shape to stand the token up. Plastic castles? Nope... again the thinner cardboard as castle shaped tokens, smaller than dimes.

When we went to play this with my daughter, my mom saw the quality of what she had bought. She said she paid $10 and that was on sale. Even at $10, we both feel she had been ripped off for three sheets of flimsy cardboard. Based on the quality of the cardboard for the tokens, we doubted that it would have survived one play.

I realize that my mom probably didn't look over the box as closely as maybe my wife or I would. However, she did assume that a game from the names such as Hasbro or Disney (in this case both) would bring with it a decent amount of quality. I am writing this to let everyone know that there are more than one version out there. Check your box carefully, or possibly be disappointed with the contents.

That's why this year, I am asking my mom to look at th My First Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
that seems really odd- where did she buy it from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Webb
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let's Go Pens!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the box stores... Target, or WalMart or something. Even my mom doesn't remember which one because she took advantage of the sale and stored it a couple of months for the birthday.

Unfortunately, I can't tell if what I have is a newer edition or an older edition than the other ones pictured. Did Hasbro cheapen the game up to save money and made the version I have? Or did they learn their lesson from complaints about the version I have and made a better production later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
they mass produce them in such quantities that just the lack of a mounted board by itself makes me suspect something is not right. I've never seen any edition of monopoly like that. I'm tempted to run to the Target across the street and buy one just to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Webb
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let's Go Pens!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But is wasn't just a lack of a mounted board... I will try to upload samples of my game's components, but here is an example...

These were not in my game at all:

Instead, it had a sheet of cardboard punch outs, little tokens in different colors, about the size of a dime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
after some poking around, does yours look more like this?:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Webb
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let's Go Pens!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that looks like the same version... I also found a copyright date on mine of 2005...
Here is a pic I uploaded of the "castle tokens"

with a penny used for size comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.