Hide
16 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Chancellor question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Graves
msg tools
I haven't seen this answered in the previous threads so I ask here. I apologize if I have missed it and it was answered before.

Quite new to Dominion (one week playing), I have a problem with the mechanics of Chancellor.

In the rules you can read the following: "You must resolve the Chancellor (decide whether or not to discard your Deck by flipping it into your Discard pile) before doing other things on your turn, like deciding what to buy or playing another Action card. You may not look through your Deck as you discard it."

So, what does that means exactly?

1) If there is a Chancellor in my hand, I must play it first even though I have other actions I would prefer to play instead.
Example: my hand is Chancellor, Market, Silver, Copper, Copper. If this guess is true, I would have to waste the Market, because I have to play and resolve the Chancellor before doing other things on my turn.

2) Same as above, but it is not mandatory to me to play the Chancellor. I can decide whether or not put it into play, just if I don't play it first, I couldn't use it later during my turn.
Example: my hand is the same above, I decide to play the Market, taking one card (Estate for example), and I can't play then the Chancellor, and have to waste the extra Action that the Market provides me.

3) I can play other actions before or after, but must resolve the effects of the Chancellor before resolving the effects of the other actions I have played.
Example: same hand, so I play the Market, and after that, I play the Chancellor. I decide whether or not discarding my deck, and after that, I take the card of the Market and continue playing.

4) The emphasis is just confusing (to me at least), and it must be read so that you can play the Chancellor in any time during the Action fase, and when played, its effects must be resolved before continue playing any other card or taking other decisions.
Example: my hand is Chancellor, Market, Festival, Silver, Silver. I can play the Market, taking one card (Estate, for example), then play the Festival, and last play the Chancellor. Then, I must decide about my deck, and only then I can continue to my buying fase.

My guess is that #1-3 are wrong and #4 is correct. #1 is so disappointing, #2 doesn't have much sense, #3 is against main rule about completing the effects of a card before continuing to the next, and #4 is what seems more reasonable.

Nonetheless the emphasis in the rules still confuse me, and I would like your opinion about it.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lawrence
England
Stroud
Glos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
4a) Can be played any time during the action step.
Must be resolved in full before making any more decisions.
A correction on the market though.
+ Buy adds 1 to the number of buys you are allowed to make in the buy step it does not allow you to buy in the action step.

Remember ABC Action, Buy, Clean up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever you play an action card, you must resolve as much of it (and the golden rule is in order as written on the card) as you can before moving onto the next one.

For example, Market; you draw one card, add an extra action to your turn, add an extra buy & add +1 coin to your spending ability in the Buy phase.

So with Chancellor, you get +2 coins & then put your draw deck (or not) into your discard pile.

So let's assume you play a Village first - draw one card & get +2 actions. You then play a Chancellor to get +2 coins. You decide to put your draw deck into your discard pile since you have some Golds in there. For your 2nd action, you play a Market. Since you now have no draw deck (due to the Chancellor), you must shuffle your discard pile ebfore you can draw...

Hope that helps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the Action cards work like this: you play it, then follow the instructions that they were written. You must do, in order, whatever you CAN do and as much as you can (for instance, if it says you must discard 3 cards, and you have three or more cards in your hand, you must discard three of them; if you have only two, you still must discard those two). But until the card is played, the text on it doesn't matter.

The only example when you don't have to play a card to follow its instructions is when you use a Reaction card to defend from the attack. And so far there is only one Reaction card that does that (Secret Chamber).

The further explanations in the rules aren't there to enforce ADDITIONAL rules (in addition to those on the cards), they simply exist to sort out possible confusions. When it comes to Chancellor, the rule confusing you is there simply to point out that there's no possible jackassery when playing the Chancellor - for instance a player plays Chancellor, then a Smithy, then realizes the cards Smithy will give him suck so he says "wait wait I forgot to discard my deck via Chancellor" and essentially manipulates others to get another freebie draw with possibly better cards.

Most of the time, you really shouldn't be checking out those rule explanations too closely. Use them as a reference when some issue pops up, more often then not they will be addressing that very issue. But over analyzing them (as you obviously did) can often lead to total confusion and massive rule-twisting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eowar wrote:

Quite new to Dominion (one week playing), I have a problem with the mechanics of Chancellor.

Btw, by rereading your OP, it seems you don't have trouble with the Chancellor, but rather with resolving mechanics of Action cards in general.

You cannot play additional Action cards until you have resolved the one you just played IN ENTIRETY. What often confuses new players is the "+Action" bonus which they read "play another Action card now", which in turn often leads to massive confusion what to resolve when.

"+X Actions" bonus means "you have a right to play X more action cards AFTER YOU RESOLVED THIS ONE". This is different from "+X Cards" bonus which means "draw X cards IMMEDIATELY". So when you play a Village this cards says this:

- after resolving this card, you are free to play two more action cards (if you can)
- immediately draw one card (if you can)

If your way of playing was to play a Village, then play two more Action cards and THEN draw that one Village bonus card, you played (very) wrongly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
The only example when you don't have to play a card to follow its instructions is when you use a Reaction card to defend from the attack. And so far there is only one Reaction card that does that (Secret Chamber).

Moat?

Secret Chamber doesn't even defend against the attack. It mitigates the impact of most attacks, but the attacks still happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
baba44713 wrote:

Moat?

Secret Chamber doesn't even defend against the attack. It mitigates the impact of most attacks, but the attacks still happen.

Wrong choice of words, I meant when you use a Reaction card to react on the Attack. And Moat doesn't really make you do anything (except mock the attacker by shoving the card in his face), unlike Secret Chamber which gives you actual actions to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
Whenever you play an action card, you must resolve as much of it (and the golden rule is in order as written on the card) as you can before moving onto the next one.
Even the golden rule has exceptions (Mining Village).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
tonksey wrote:
Even the golden rule has exceptions (Mining Village).

And, pray tell, what is the exception with the Mining Village?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
And, pray tell, what is the exception with the Mining Village?
Actually there's not. I thought you had to decide to trash it before drawing a card, but I just looked it up again and I was remembering it wrong. Or maybe I did read that somewhere and was getting bad info. Sorry about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lum
msg tools
i was wondering, so once actions are added they are added for that entire turn?

example

i have 3 copper,1 moat and 1 village card,
i use the village card and i pick up another copper
with the 2 extra actions, i play a moat which i pick up another moat,

can i now:

1. play the moat i just picked up
2. not play the moat i just picked up, as the original village card has resolved (since i have started using the effects of the first moat by picking up the 2 cards).

i have been playing the 2nd way but by reading some of the posts i'm leaning towards the first now, that whenever you have additonal actions by action cards, those extra actions can be used at any point in that round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Collard
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You start with:
3x Copper, Moat, Village (1 action).
You play Village, costing you an action and giving you +1 card (Copper) and +2 actions.

You now have:
4x Copper, Moat (2 actions).
You play Moat, costing you an action and drawing 2 cards (Moat, something else).

You now have:
4x Copper, Moat, something else (1 action).

You have an action left, so you may play the Moat (or the something else if it was an action).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a card says +1 action, it means add 1 to the number of actions you're allowed to take during the action phase of your turn. It does not mean play an action immediately.

When a card says +1 buy, it means add 1 to the number of cards you may buy during the buy phase of your turn. It does not mean buy a card immediately.

If it helps, imagine that you start your turn with 1 action token and 1 buy token. When you play an action card, you lose an action token. If a card says +2 actions, you gain 2 action tokens. After you're done with the current card, you can spend another action token to play another action. After you're all done playing actions, you may buy 1 card per buy token you have.

The BSW implementation basically uses this model of the rules, in fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chipacabra wrote:
If it helps, imagine that you start your turn with 1 action token and 1 buy token.

The theme of the 3rd expansion will now be "tokens". Action and buy tokens will also be included for those who have trouble keeping track without them.

This post is a joke. Please don't lynch me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.