Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
My mom has decided that she wants to record wins in our games of Battle Line. However, its a bit of a pain in the ass because I have to re-enter the player information every time I do so. I would love the ability to save players and maybe have them in a drop down menu or something like that. It would make it much easier to track wins/losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
My mom has decided that she wants to record wins in our games of Battle Line. However, its a bit of a pain in the ass because I have to re-enter the player information every time I do so. I would love the ability to save players and maybe have them in a drop down menu or something like that. It would make it much easier to track wins/losses.

I wholeheartedly agree with Steve. For instance, if I wanted to save my win record of Race for the Galaxy with him, I already know I've beaten him ever time. But just in case if he wins, I'd like to keep his name available.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Listen buddy. You know damn well that I beat you the one time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
Listen buddy. You know damn well that I beat you the one time.

If only I had some way to keep track of my opponents without having to enter their name in every time.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep expecting to wake up each morning, and find the record play system has been totally revamped.

No more of the expanding box stuff. Just a nicely laid out box with the relevant info, a player section with a horizontal row for each player possible (1 to 6 rows for a six player game, etc), each with a dropdown filled with names, which automatically fills in usernames, usual player colour/token type, and blank boxes for entering scores, check boxes for winner.

One day. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds great! We could at least start with a drop down like we have for locations. That should be basically ready to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven, I couldn't agree more. However, for now, I'll just take the simple addition I'm asking for. Unfortunately this topic doesn't seem to be getting many supporters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
Unfortunately this topic doesn't seem to be getting many supporters.
I support this Steve. Many people don't use the game recording because it is so clunky.

It would be great, for instance, to be alerted when your userID was recorded in somebody else's games played and 'accept' that game into your own records. That would mean only one person had to record the games but everyone could log them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
Or an easy way to add multiple plays of the same game and players but with different winners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the support all.Lets get this thing to happen. That would be awesomeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
It would be great, for instance, to be alerted when your userID was recorded in somebody else's games played and 'accept' that game into your own records. That would mean only one person had to record the games but everyone could log them.

Epic Win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I made concerted effort last year to record details about games played (# of players, names, winners, locations, noobs, etc)

Then I gave up because it was, as stated, clunky.

Now I just record plays -- which works fine.

I would even volunteer to use case it and propose a data model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry K
United States
Bloomsburg
PA
flag msg tools
badge
I can has 18xx teacher?
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if it automatically put you in as a player, which the current system doesnt seem to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a free-form field for adding plays & players. I be happy with something like:

game=Stephenson's Rocket,date=11/28/2009,loc=Redwood City,w=JC/clearclaw,p=John/jwkeener,p=Scott/sctooker,p=Dave/rynelf

Naturally, other tags (winner, duration, rating, weight, comment) would be entirely reasonable. The player records should support the regular set of fields. I'd imagine:

player=name/username/team/startpos/score/rating/new/win

would be the default, but I'd've set:

alias p=1/2 player=1/2//////
alias w=1/2 player=1/2//////yes

(in a personal configuration block) so that my markup mapped to the default input. Given the existence of a game name to canonical BGG name lookup widget, there should be no problem disambiguating the game name after input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rynelf wrote:
I'd like a free-form field for adding plays & players. I be happy with something like:

game=Stephenson's Rocket,date=11/28/2009,loc=Redwood City,w=JC/clearclaw,p=John/jwkeener,p=Scott/sctooker,p=Dave/rynelf

Naturally, other tags (winner, duration, rating, weight, comment) would be entirely reasonable. The player records should support the regular set of fields. I'd imagine:

player=name/username/team/startpos/score/rating/new/win

would be the default, but I'd've set:

alias p=1/2 player=1/2//////
alias w=1/2 player=1/2//////yes

(in a personal configuration block) so that my markup mapped to the default input. Given the existence of a game name to canonical BGG name lookup widget, there should be no problem disambiguating the game name after input.

...huh?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed about the need for remembering players and definitely the ability to alert someone you list as playing to accept it into their own records.

I only just started logging my plays in more detail and was very frustrated to discover that the system doesn't already do these things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
...huh?

So: d'you want me to explain it, or are you having too much fun heckling?
d
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rynelf wrote:
DKahnt wrote:
...huh?

d

I think he is just having fun

rynelf wrote:
Given the existence of a game name to canonical BGG name lookup widget
You see that is not a sentence, nor even a fragment of one, it is just a random assortment of words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rynelf wrote:
DKahnt wrote:
...huh?

d

I bet he meant you were proposing to replace a clunky system with an arcane and clunky system.

You aren't a sys admin or database developer are you? If so, you do realize of course that the rest of our brains don't work that way, at least not anymore.

We have been too pampered by the visual revolution and graphical user interfaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob Wilson wrote:
you do realize of course that the rest of our brains don't work that way, at least not anymore.

While what you say is true, sir; I find it ironic that it is coming from someone with the first 8 digits of the Fibonacci Sequence as his geekbadge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdornbrook wrote:
Bob Wilson wrote:
you do realize of course that the rest of our brains don't work that way, at least not anymore.

While what you say is true, sir; I find it ironic that it is coming from someone with the first 8 digits of the Fibonacci Sequence as his geekbadge.

For some mysterious reason, you'll notice it's not actually the Fibonacci sequence: the delimiter between 2 and 3 is absent, making it:

It seems too obvious an error to not be deliberate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
mdornbrook wrote:
Bob Wilson wrote:

For some mysterious reason, you'll notice it's not actually the Fibonacci sequence: the delimiter between 2 and 3 is absent, making it:

It seems too obvious an error to not be deliberate...

You're probably right. However, once you get a geekbadge, you will discover how difficult it is to fit what you want into that thing. I'm guessing it was either a period or only 7 numbers. While the tradeoffs of the geekbadge can be brutal, we are a forgiving community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While my explanation may well have been gibberish, the thought provoked me to write a script to log plays.

So today's Taluva outing at lunch was logged:

% bgg-play 2 Taluva today 'Mountain View' Brian Richard/rw2e Dave/rynelf

Much easier for me than a mess of mouse-clicking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you use that script for all plays? If so, would mind sharing how I would have to do i?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well....
Do you have a computer that will let you run a Perl script?
And can you get to the cookies you use to access BGG?
If so, it'll work for you; geekmail me if you'd like a copy.

Just to taunt you further, my play of Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner and three of its nine expansions last Wednesday was entered with a single run of
% bgg-play 1 'Duel of Ages' 2009-12-02 'Foster City' Tom/Kingdaddy Paul/PaulHartenstine Dave/rynelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.