Le Havre» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo Campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I really enjoyed about Agricola was the solo campaign. Since Le Havre was also made by Mr. Rosenberg and features a solo game I assumed it would contain a solo campaign to give the solo game some replay value.

Has anyone come up with a campaign for solo play, along the lines of the Agricola solo campaigns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it might work at all, but you could try the following:

After you complete a game, you take over all goods to the next game. For each building belonging to the Town at this point, you must discard all of the goods of one type. From game two on, you start with no extra goods or money, just what you got in the game before minus the discarded goods due to the Town owning some buildings.

Continue until one of the following events occur:

a) You've got a lower score than in the previous game. Thus, you need to raise your score from game to game.

b) The town owns more buildings than you've got left-over goods. Thus, you need to have at least one left-over good for the next game.

c) You've got at least one left-over loan. Thus, you must pay all of them back at the end of each game.

Once, any of these three conditions is fulfilled, you note your last score. This is your new highscore that you have to beat in the next campaign.

Comments and criticism are very much welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Krupa
Poland
Bialystok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:

a) You've got a lower score than in the previous game. Thus, you need to raise your score from game to game.

It is not a good idea. I like playing my best and trying to make the high possible score in any game. This rule may couse lowering my score intentionally in the first game, just to make it easier to beat in the second. (When I can't beat it the campaign ends.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Megamaniac wrote:
Ponton wrote:

It is not a good idea. I like playing my best and trying to make the high possible score in any game. This rule may couse lowering my score intentionally in the first game, just to make it easier to beat in the second. (When I can't beat it the campaign ends.)

Really? Honestly? You would consider throwing the first game in order to make it easier to "win" the seocnd game...against...yourself?!?
I think you're missing the spirit of the game here, and maybe solitare play isn't the best thing for you.
Come on.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with grant5. The aim is to get as far as possible with great scores in all games. The idea is not to get as many consecutive games as possible, but to score higher and higher. Only your last score counts. It's totally irrelevant if you've got 400 points after a series of 2 games, or 400 after 25 games...

Of course, one might hoard resources in early games to make a final uber-game. There needs to be a fix for that, I agree. However, I don't agree it's cool to get low scores...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Krupa
Poland
Bialystok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed "only the last score counts" rule in your variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into a problem trying this out. It seems like the best move at the end of the game is to use shipping line. Do you keep francs over into the next game? My first try I had 78 francs with all my iron/steel, cattle, and bread shipped. One could buy up a bunch of buildings in the begining of the next game I suppose.

I haven't had a solo game where I didn't just buy up all the town buildings after shipping a large load.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second game I used the 78 francs to buy half the buildings. I kept bouncing on and off the marketplace in the beginning. At the end, I bounced between the brick manufacturer and the shipping line to end the game with 552 points and 302 francs for the start of the next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
No, francs weren't intended to be taken over to the next game, just the basic 5 francs you get anyway. It was just a first draft, nothing close to final. I have some other ideas we might discuss and maybe we might design such a campaign variant together. Other ideas:

- ban the Zoo (and maybe other too powerful special buildings)
- take 1 (additional) special building over to the next game
- keep your left-over food for the next game
- keep 5% of your left-over francs for the next game
- start each game with 1 extra franc
- pay #game interest for loans
- be limited to f(#game) loans
- keep left-over standard goods
- penalties for left-over buildings in Building Proposals
- penalties for left-over buildings in Town

etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 3 .... 763 points
499 francs
6 meat
11 smoked fish
15 charcoal
6 brick
5 clay
8 wheat
27 fish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it works as is but it's a different game. You just buy all the buildings and the offers are almost never worth the action. I think keeping it simple with carrying over 10% (round up) of the francs, the one coal, and 1 special building per game with the goal to increase by 100 points per game might be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The year one goal should be 300, then 400, 500, etc. I'm sure it's not a linear thing so suggestions are welcome for those goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
The year one goal should be 300, then 400, 500, etc. I'm sure it's not a linear thing so suggestions are welcome for those goals.

Are you reading my thoughts? Exactly what I was thinking when I posted the previous message, but didn't want to write it, as I thought these numbers might be too arbitrary.

I don't like the idea to be able to buy all the buildings and ships at once. Somehow destroys half of the game. One fun part is building ships and buildings. If we allow for too much money from game to game, we narrow everything down to the Shipping Line and this is extremely boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying ships usually isn't a good idea since the purchase price is much higher than the vp value. Maybe placing a 5 franc premium on the price of buildings would help. I hate to add unnecessarry complication though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I must be getting better at the game.

I tried the 10% carryover and one special building.

First game
332 points
76 francs

Second game started with 8 francs, one coal, and the Town Square
831 points
565 francs wow

I guess 400 for game two may be low. There might not be an easy answer.

It doesn't seem like I started with much more than game one. The town square is great for early round food generation which made the big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
Buying ships usually isn't a good idea since the purchase price is much higher than the vp value. Maybe placing a 5 franc premium on the price of buildings would help. I hate to add unnecessarry complication though.

Building ships is much more expensive:

1. You lose an action.
2. You lose precious resources.

Buying is way superior to building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably right. I don't seem to have money until the last two rounds though so to stay ahead on the food production I usually find building the ship worth it. If I ship two steel and a charcoal, that's 18 when it costs 20 to buy. Granted you could be shipping more with the action.
Last game I had the wind mill so building ships was energy free making it a little better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have no money until late in the game, but I take loans like crazy and don't care much about food. I usually build a wooden ship or two, though. Then I purchase a Steel Ship after coke conversion and ship for the first time, then buy all the other ships and ship 2-3 times after. You need to amass a lot of resources to do so, though. It's only worth the buy if you ship often and much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Persson
msg tools
My solo campaign rules

The campaign consist of 8 missions. In each mission you receive gold, silver or bronze medals in special areas and that lets you carry over effects to the next mission. In the last mission you just try to get as high score as possible. Or you can just play any mission on its own.

Each mission has 3 preselected special buildings arranged in a decided order. The marketplace can't change the order of these cards.

The standard buildings are the same ones as the normal solo game unless the mission states otherwise. They are not shuffled instead sort them in numerical order the divide them into 3 stacks.
The first card go in the first stack, the second card in the second stack, the third in the third , the forth in the first, the fifth in the second and so on.

The resource token are always placed in the same order. First to last: wood and franc, wood and fish,, fish and brick, wood and brick, iron and franc, fish and grain, wood and cattle.

Interest is 1 franc/loan

When the 6th resource are put on an offer space all 6 are immediately returned to the resource stack.

Unlimited building actions are limited to 6x.

When receiving loan due to medals or special rules francs are not given, only the debt.

Score Medals

Gold medal: 300 points, you get 2 free actions next mission. The free action lets you take an extra action after any action without placing any new resources or moving the boat forward.

Silver Medal: 250 points, you get 1 free actions next mission.

Bronze medal: 180 points

Failure: You have lost the campaign

Wealth medal:

Gold medal: 100 francs, you start the next mission with 10 francs

Silver Medal: 50 francs, you start the next mission with 8 francs

Bronze medal: 20 francs

Failure: you start the next mission with 2 francs

Goods medal:

Gold medal: at least 5 stored good of each colour at the end of the game, you start the next mission with 2 more fish and 1 more brick and 1 more iron in the offer spaces

Silver Medal: at least 3 stored good of each colour at the end of the game, you start the next mission with 1 more fish and 1 more iron in the offer spaces

Bronze medal: at least 1 stored good of each colour at the end of the game

Failure: you start the next mission with 1 less fish, 1 less wood and no bricks in the offer spaces

Estate Medals

Gold medal: 28 buildings+ships, you start the next mission with 1 cattle, 1 hide and 1 charcoal

Silver Medal: 24 buildings+ships, you start the next mission with 1 cattle and 1 hide

Bronze medal: 18 buildings+ships

Failure: you start the next mission with an extra loan

Mission 1:

Mission Rules: None

Special buildings (from top to bottom): Fish pond and wood, Masons Guild, Brick Manufacturer

Standard buildings: As normal

Mission 2

Mission Rules: You start the game with one loan, Each time the town acquire a standard building from the building stack, take one more loan.

Special buildings (from top to button): Fish Market, Fish Restaurant, Diner

Standard buildings: As normal

Mission 3

Mission Rules: You start the game with three loans,

Special buildings (from top to bottom): Farm, Bakery, Baguette Shop

Standard buildings: Replace Market and Steel Mill with Hardware Store and Grocery Market.

Mission 4

Mission Rules: Always skip the cattle/wood turn, You must buy the stadium, the build firms, and the construction firm all at once. Black market does not grant cattle.

Special buildings (from top to bottom): Tavern, Town Square, Stadium

Standard buildings: Replace Abbitiary and Tannery with Black Market and Bridge over Seine.

Mission 5

Mission Rules: When the 5hh resource are an on the offer space all 5 are immediately returned to the resource stack and the player receive a loan. Twice during the mission you may do a emergency pick-up where you empty one offer space to your personal supply. This can't be done to stop the 5th resource return to trigger. . Always skip the brick/wood turn

Special buildings (from top to bottom): Haulage Firm, Kiln, Wind Farm

Standard buildings: Replace Brickworks with Storehouse

Mission 6

Mission Rules: Own the the construction firm at the start of this scenario, Always skip the grain/fish turn, Shipping Goods only give half the income (rounded down). Interest is 2francs/loan

Special buildings (from top to bottom): Guildhouse, Business Park, Clothing Industry

Standard buildings: Replace Bake House, Charcoal Kiln, Clay Mound, with Town Hall, Business Office and Bank

Mission 7

Mission Rules: Own the the plant nursery at the start of this scenario, Always skip the wood/franc and grain/fish turns.

Special buildings (from top to bottom): Hunting Lodge, Steakhouse, Furniture Factory

Standard buildings: Replace Ironworks and Cokery with Joinery and Sawmill.

Mission 8 Final mission

Mission Rules: Own the the Dock at the start of this scenario, The second wharf is placed as a starting building in the same way as the building firms. Always skip the grain/fish and cattle/wood turns,

Special buildings (from top to bottom): Smelter, Steelworks, Luxury Yacht

Standard buildings: Standard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Adhansa wrote:

Gold medal: 28 buildings+ships, you start the next mission with 1 cattle, 1 hide and 1 charcoal

Silver Medal: 24 buildings+ships, you start the next mission with 1 cattle and 1 hide

Bronze medal: 18 buildings+ships

What am I missing? Gold is impossible to achieve: there are only 15 standard buildings, 3 special buildings, and 7 ships, for a total of 25. How am I supposed to get 28?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Persson
msg tools
3 town starting buildings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, forgot about those!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.