Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we get a list of changes and WHY they were so?

From what I remember:
- 3/3 "lives" changed to first to get 3 out of 5 points
- 5 vetoed votes = loss (is this for only one round, or for the entire game?)
- plans are given out on certain rounds versus whenever the rebels are successful
- certain ratios changed such as it being a 6/3 in a 9 player game now, than a 5/4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just a playtester, but...

Revelade wrote:
Can we get a list of changes and WHY they were so?

From what I remember:

Not really different. First team to 3 wins.

Quote:

Where are you seeing that?
5 vetoes in a 10 player game means the proposal fails.
You need simple majority to pass a plan, which means:
6/10
5/9
5/8
4/7
4/6
3/5

Quote:

- plans are given out on certain rounds versus whenever the rebels are successful

Plans are given out every round.
Originally, the plans given out increased each time the rebels were successful.
Now, the number of plans is fixed.
Alternatively, the target mission is chosen by the leader which allows for some variability and strategy.

Quote:

- certain ratios changed such as it being a 6/3 in a 9 player game now, than a 5/4

Play balance and to give the Resistance a fighting chance. 5/4 meant it was far too difficult to ferret out all the spies for the final mission (where you must have five Resistance members on board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Quote:

Where are you seeing that?
5 vetoes in a 10 player game means the proposal fails.
You need simple majority to pass a plan, which means:
6/10
5/9
5/8
4/7
4/6
3/5

You've misunderstood his question.
The new rule says that if the proposal about how to assign plans (i.e. who gets them) is not approved five time in a row, the Empire wins.
I think it is just a clause to avoid an endless game (if the players really cannot agree on how to split those plans, in the old version you could theoretically go on and on and on...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, got it.

Yes, that prevents the endless game where the Resistance digs in and hopes for the spies to reveal themselves.

I've had at least one game where there was an attempted 'filibuster'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all - Brian, good questions, BT and Luca, good answers. I will be posting a full introduction to the game as soon as I'm satisfied with the current release. Brian, you unfortunately pointed out a good question about failed votes.

Quote:

This is indeed on a per round basis, not the entire game. Tell me, is this highly confusing? Without me to answer, which way would you have played? If necessary, I'm willing to post a final version of the game. I plan for this to be out awhile, so I don't want anything to be confused. So if you have more questions, seriously please throw them out here soon.

Quote:

As BT said, this is actually the same as the original game, just slightly different wording.

One big change you missed: in the 7-10 player game, the fourth round now requires two Sabotages for the mission to Fail. This is to balance the teams.

Otherwise, I think you've covered all the changes minus the Version rules, which provide two expansions and one variant. I'll repeat: if anyone still has rules questions after having considered and reviewed the rules, post them here and I may release another version. Thanks!

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah okay. I haven't been able to try the new version yet, but from what I see, it had a a lot of work into it. It does unfortunately seem less elegant than the first version.

Was the 3 out of 5 thing a pure aesthetic change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burns
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just a simpler way to portray the same info. So yeah, maybe it was just an aesthetic thing.

I've noticed, in my playing, that how the plans are handed out has changed dramatically, and in my opinion for the better. It feels a much more solid game now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments. I've received a few good suggestions here and in emails, so it looks like I'll be revising and putting out one more version. If you've already downloaded and understand everything, then don't worry about the knew one - your rules are fine. Just going to make a couple things clearer for the sake of perfection. (and keep suggestions coming if you have them)

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 2 games today. It went okay. We had a new player and it was with 7 people.

The problem was that a few people were not paying attention, so they really weren't participating. A large part of this game is the atmosphere of trickery and when people aren't focusing, it dies.

The new player talked much and he wasn't able to get who got the plans, how to vote, who to trust, how to act trustworthy. I guess I wasn't having a good time because I kept thinking to myself, "How can this numbnuts not get the game!?" "I've explained it 5 times already!" "How do you not get what thumbs up/down vote means!?"

One thing that I forgot to mention until later was the 5 misvotes = loss rule.

I think learning the new rules complicated the overall atmosphere of the game when we played. A few more games need to be played.

Oh and I assume that in the 5th round of a 7 player game, all the plans must be successful to get the win right?

I'll try to play this when people are more focused later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was:

5 proposals that fail to pass IN A ROW is an auto-win for the Imperials.

Not 5 TOTAL proposals failing to pass.

Be careful on how you state 'win and lose', this is a zero sum team game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea that was already clarified. I apologize if my wording isn't as precise.

I had a epic time of this game yesterday er two days ago and it was wild.

I remember one round that was especially tense because the three bad guys (I was one) were with a good guy and when we revealed, none of us put a black. I think few experiences can topple this feeling of uncoordinated coordination.

I think one of the key rules that really changes the game is the 2 votes for black needed in round 4 of a 6-10 player game. It makes the black more active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Update for the interested: I have just submitted the latest, and hopefully final, version of The Resistance V2 for admin approval. I've gone over the rules with a fine tooth comb too many times to count, and this version is definitely the best. Huge thanks go to Andy K. and Conrad L. for reviewing the rules and making a number of great suggestions.

When the file is approved (have any modder friends?) I will announce it here, and then I'll probably make a formal introduction.

Don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The file is up! Enjoy!

(and to be clear, this version of V2 changes no rules at all - edited only for clarity)

Don

(edit: amazingly, one stupid thing I didn't see, so I'll submit one more time. Tiny change though.)

Edit2: Final is up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Don E wrote:
One big change you missed: in the 7-10 player game, the fourth round now requires two Sabotages for the mission to Fail. This is to balance the teams.

Hi Don,

I managed to play your game yesterday (at last!), I wanted to try it before introducing the family during Xmas holidays. We had a great time, thank you!

We were 6, so I didn't need to explain the 7-10-player/4th-round exception, but it's true that it will complicate the explanation of this overall simple game. I guess that having integer numbers for the players makes unavoidable this kind of fixes...

The two games were tense, but in both we arrived to the 4th base assignment of plans with 2-1 for the spies (which didn't seem too hard to happen, BTW). Having to assign 4 plans, this means that in round 4 people MUST be sure of who the 2 spies are. They failed in both, and the spies (among which I was both times) won in round 4.

In any event, if they had been right in their guess, round 5 would have been uneventful. Does this happen with other number of players too, or is it typical of 6 player games? I went through the table and it seems that, for 5-8 players, in round 4 you have to assign the same number of plans than members of the resistance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.