United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmb
As you may have already noticed, last week BoardGameGeek removed a number of the files that users had created and uploaded for board games published by Games Workshop Ltd. I'd like to take a moment to explain why this action was necessary and in the best interests of the site and the community.

BoardGameGeek recently received a cease and desist letter from Games Workshop demanding the removal of user-generated content that they believed to infringe their intellectual property rights. In order to comply with this demand, we have taken the following steps.

First, our Community Manager Matthew Monin has removed the allegedly infringing content, and has individually notified all users whose content was removed in connection with this process. Second, to avoid recurrence of this issue, we have indefinitely suspended all future uploading of files for products published by Games Workshop.

BoardGameGeek takes the intellectual property rights of publishers very seriously and urges everyone to ensure that all submitted content complies with the File Submission Guidelines that are displayed on the file upload page. The file submission guidelines are here: File_Submissions

In the near future, BoardGameGeek plans to put a process in place that will allow users to contest the removal of their content if they believe their removed content does not in fact infringe upon the rights of any third parties. Thank you very much for your vigilance in respecting the rights of publishers and for your continued support of BoardGameGeek.

I know this is a frustrating outcome for everyone involved, but I don't think that posting retaliatory game ratings is a constructive response to the situation.

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving, and make sure to take care of your Secret Santa!

--
Aldie
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carlson
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Aldie for the prompt and courteous explanation as always. As a big fan of Games Workshop's products and Board Game Geek, it is great to see a proactive solution in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Weitz
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, I like helmets...
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one, am glad that THAT is over.

Good Gaming~! Mick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I read the post right, Aldie declares mob rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if there was a game by game summary of which files were removed (by Title, file name and description), to allow people to remember what files may have been there and were in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
In the near future, BoardGameGeek plans to put a process in place that will allow users to contest the removal of their content if they believe their removed content does not in fact infringe upon the rights of any third parties. Thank you very much for your vigilance in respecting the rights of publishers and for your continued support of BoardGameGeek.

This alone was worth the time spent reading this post.

Thank you, Aldie, for watching out not only for the publishers but also for the community as a whole. It's tough being caught in the middle like that.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:
Aldie wrote:

Thank you, Aldie, for watching out not only for the publishers but also for the community as a whole. It's tough being caught in the middle like that.

Eric

Now if only there was an appeals process to my images that were geekmoded as irrelevant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
Gamethyme wrote:
Aldie wrote:

Eric

Now if only there was an appeals process to my images that were geekmoded as irrelevant

One step at a time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
It would be nice if there was a game by game summary of which files were removed (by Title, file name and description), to allow people to remember what files may have been there and were in question.

1) Please do this BGG Admins, if its not too cumbersome.

2) I'm looking forward to the 'appeal' option. It sounds like there were some files removed in this purge that are very questionable as to whether any IP was violated (or even whether GW owned any piece of it).

3) I remain very disappointed about GW's actions here...but its not that surprising coming from them.

4) I still like playing Space Hulk, but I'm certainly not going to check out Warhammer minis as I'd been listing towards. The decision became much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We really need to come up with a codified open license for the age old hobby of user generated content in RPGs and customizable boardgames/minies. I mean, besides D20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I read this properly, it sounds as though GW indicated rather specifically which materials (or at least which kind of materials) constituted infringing material. I don't get the impression that BGG administration played much of a role in judging for itself what was or was not infringing. Is this correct? My point for asking is to understand how much latitude was given to BGG to make these determinations (there has been quite a bit of speculation that BGG administration "over-reacted" and took down more content than GW's letter demanded. I tend to disagree with this view, but frankly, not having seen the actual letter, or a list of file that have been deleted, it's impossible to know). It might be illuminating if the actual letter were posted so that we can see once and for all just how broad-ranging and/or specific GW's demands were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
Westbury-on-Trym
BRISTOL
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
I don't think that posting retaliatory game ratings is a constructive response to the situation.

Entirely accepted. But it has been fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear an official response from Aldie. Personally I still find it amazing any company would want to intentionally stomp on their fanbase. We are the ones that have kept many of their games alive. I'm glad to hear there will be an appeal process. I found it rather odd what files of mine were pulled and what were not.

And hearings stories of FAQ's and ERRATA pulled make no sense whatsoever.

I still plan to not support or buy another GW game until they change their customer unfriendly stance. There are many, many other game companies that deserve my support and purchases.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short-sighted view by Games Workshop, but appropriate response by BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't think that posting retaliatory game ratings is a constructive response to the situation.

Thanks for the information and I wholeheartedly agree with your statement above. It's good to hear it from the top down. REAL gamers rate games, not the unrelated company actions to which they belong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the timely update. It's timely because I'm always late in doing Christmas shopping and now I can purge Games Workshop's intellectual property from my shopping list.

Just a note to anyone out there reading this, unless you post all 280 pages of my book, post whatever pix and files you like, including your variations on my rules in The Games of War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
... there has been quite a bit of speculation that BGG administration "over-reacted" and took down more content than GW's letter demanded. I tend to disagree with this view, but frankly, not having seen the actual letter, or a list of file that have been deleted, it's impossible to know ...

Well, I know nothing, either.

But as I read it, Aldie has basically said that they took down everything that was in doubt "just in case". And that they intend to put a process in place to let people challenge each individual removal, presumably so that things that should not have been removed, can be put back, after due investigation.

And if that is right, then as far as I am concerned, Aldie and co have acted very sensibly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish everybody were treated equally. All the content I and others created for Soccer Tactics was removed, we were not notified and the website did not come forward to advise against retaliatory ratings.

I should not be surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monteslu wrote:

Just re-submit photos later. You might get a different set of GMs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

At the very end of the day, especially to GW, what will count is their set of financial statements. If their sales go down they may well then rethink their attitude. If their sales don't go down or even rise, they may well have been right in their thinking.

If you know GW's product line, then you know that a wide section of it is not hard miniatures rather soft intellectual property adding value to everything else. From solely their own point of view, every time someone uploads free creative content, it makes GW's job of doing the same thing and selling it all the harder. And, that apart from the more cynical, "Warhammer 40K 4.01 (including errata) $39.99".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While I'm glad that Aldie has posted something that shares some more information with us, I'd still like to see what the letter specifically requested/demanded, before I set off towards GW HQ with my pitchfork and blazing torch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I just hope nobody collects all those removed GW files and packages them as a torrent. That would be awful.
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I wish everybody were treated equally. All the content I and others created for Soccer Tactics was removed, we were not notified and the website did not come forward to advise against retaliatory ratings.

I should not be surprised.
Perhaps they learned from that fiasco and are doing it better this time? You wouldn't begrudge them that would you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the information and I wholeheartedly agree with your statement above. It's good to hear it from the top down. REAL gamers rate games, not the unrelated company actions to which they belong.

Actually, the rating system set forth by Aldie, et al, sort of implies that a company's action might be taken into account.

If Reebok gets in cohoots with Terrorists, I'm going to stop buying Reebok product and actively encourage my friends to do so as well, also, my "likelihood" of using Reebok products goes way down.

So someone who rated Space Hulk a 10, but is now "boycotting" because they are angered by their actions, may very well have no desire to play the game warranting a 3 or 4 rating.

// EDIT

The thing that really chaps my hide, though, is that IP law was designed and implemented for the express reason of stimulating innovation and creativity. Oh how wicked our intent becomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tate
United Kingdom
Banbury
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a former employee of GW back in the day, I'm not a bit suprised at the events above.

I swore when I left I would never spend another penny on their products and nor have I, it's just depressing to learn the leopard hasn't changed it's spots.

I wouldn't be a bit suprised to find the best bits of the materials removed included in GW products in the future with no acknowledgement as to their source...

Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose... yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.