Subject: New Information About Game Delay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael has a discussion of the latest game delay on his blog. It looks like he has a possible new solution to the moisture and component problems in Homsteaders and Terra Prime.

http://michaelmindes.com/manufacturing-issues-solutions?dsq=...

I hope it arrives before the end of December!!

I wish those guys all the best of luck. I guess this will only make them a stronger company in the end. These games look awesome! I can't wait for them to arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That totally sucks (in a "I feel for you" sort of way, not in an "I'm an entitled shit and want my game now so suck it down" sort of way).

The great buzz for these games has me more excited than ever. More, though, I'm ecstatic to see that Tasty Minstrel is working to make things RIGHT and not to take the lazy path some other developers might, and just fix things afterwards or, ahem, ignore it and hope it goes away (ironically, I was just reading another thread where folks complained about how they've waited a year for replacement parts from a publisher and receiver neither parts nor emails nor even acknowledgment. Shoddy, very shoddy.)

Keep it up, man! Dying to give the games a whirl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dippel
United States
Merrick
NY
flag msg tools
Commentary! The OverText
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been excited about the games, and now I'm excited about the company.

No one minds waiting for things to be done correctly.

Michael, you're a good man. I wish you nothing but smooth sailing in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Homesteaders is a fine game and I will buy it. I appreciate management handling quality control issues effectively and prefer this to a quicker turnaround on release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdippel71 wrote:

Michael, you're a good man. I wish you nothing but smooth sailing in the future.

Well, Thank YOu!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BLAMMO!
mb
cdippel71 wrote:

Ditto! Things don't always work out perfectly, we can all understand that. How we deal with those challenges shows our character and I think Tasty Minstrel shows great character by making things right and with the open communication. Way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael I commend you for your forthright way of dealing with this issue and for constantly communicating the latest information. This situation sucks, but it's not your fault, and you've kept us all in the loop. Seems you're being tested by Murphy's Law early on in your business experience. Hang in there.

So with that said, I'd like to ask about the condition of the games that will be shipped to those of us who preordered. Once they are dried out and such, what condition should we expect the game to be in, e.g., slightly warped board/cards, water stains, etc.? I just want to know what I should/should not expect.

I'm still very excited about this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
Michael I commend you for your forthright way of dealing with this issue and for constantly communicating the latest information. This situation sucks, but it's not your fault, and you've kept us all in the loop. Seems you're being tested by Murphy's Law early on in your business experience. Hang in there.

So with that said, I'd like to ask about the condition of the games that will be shipped to those of us who preordered. Once they are dried out and such, what condition should we expect the game to be in, e.g., slightly warped board/cards, water stains, etc.? I just want to know what I should/should not expect.

I'm still very excited about this game.

What we've been seeing (that I've noticed, and I may or may not be as picky as some) is this:

The player screens are a little warped, but seriously, it's like that in all the boxes, they are sort of pliable to begin with, and you bend them so thy stand - I don't really think they would be much better without the moisture problems. So you might expect "warped" screens, but there shouldn't be any problem playing with them.

Some of the boxes have better registration than others, so worst case you may have some tiles that look a bit misaligned or misprinted. In any case where that makes a difference (or is horribly off) I believe the box will be pulled and therefore anything you get that is mis-registered shouldn't be that bad. It should definitely be playable in any case - no game information cut off, no marked backs on Auction tiles. Those I've seen are actually pretty good on the backs, so I don't think marked Auction tiles should be an issue anyway.

Mike intends to add silica packs to combat moisture and keep mold from developing. I have not seen any copies that are moldy (thank goodness!) but I've heard reports of the boards being sort of damp, and therefore hard to punch without tearing. I guess some are worse than others. I have heard that if you air the boards out, they dry up nice and are no problem to punch. Sterling Babcock posted a thread about this. So you might expect to have to air out your punchboards before punching (and that might be worth doing "just in case" even if they're not "damp"). In any case, you should punch carefully.

Since the punchboards are designed such that the tiles are right up against each other (rather than each tile having a 'border'), you can expect them to almost fall out of the boards. this isn't an issue or problem, unless you like to play games with tiles still in the punchboards! It actually makes punching the tiles out pretty quick and easy.

Finally, you can expect a typo on one of the Farm tiles - the back of the tile says "Settlement/Town" but the Front says "Settlement." A quick look at the other 2 Farms should confirm that indeed, the Farm is a Settlement Only building. It's not like that particular Farm sticks around. Sorry about the mix-up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

Finally, you can expect a typo on one of the Farm tiles - the back of the tile says "Settlement/Town" but the Front says "Settlement." A quick look at the other 2 Farms should confirm that indeed, the Farm is a Settlement Only building. It's not like that particular Farm sticks around. Sorry about the mix-up!

Doh!

Well, not a big deal even if people misplay that. Early game stuff goes away to limit clutter.

I think you should all expect that your games will be in good shape, and you just need to make sure they are dry before punching, and be careful o nthe punching. That seems to be the main issue. Instances of incorrect tilesets will be fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
In any case, you should punch carefully.

Punch, brothers! Punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

(Still looking forward to my copy! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Seth and Alex.

Yeah, player screens always get a little bent, so no biggie there. Sounds like the tiles won't be marked and otherwise the game components should be in good shape.

I really look forward to playing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.