Subject: Questions on Marksman Blessing and Ruined Walls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Massimilla
United States
Syosset
New York
flag msg tools
I just completed my first game of Stronghold. I have a couple of questions about the rules.

1. Marksman Blessing. Does this permit ALL of the defender's marksmen not in melee to fire at ALL ramparts on one side of the stronghold? That is, marksmen in buildings (e.g. Barracks), courtyard, etc. (one assumes they are firing into the air and the bullets happen to land on the defenders)? If so, I count 16 marksman who can fire in the first few turns. That pretty much ensures that all Invader units in ramparts on one side of the stronghold who are not under a cover would be wiped out.

2. Ruined Walls. Suppose the Invader destroys all wall segments at a given section on turn 5, and the Defender does not rebuild a wall there. This leaves no wall segments on that section on turn 6. Does the Invader then score the GP for Ruined Walls? Or does the Defender need to rebuild a wall segment there so the Invader can knock it down again, in order for the bonus point to be earned? (Assuming that the Invader doesn't knock down a completely different wall section.)

Thank you to anyone who can answer these questions.

Mike M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I think you're assuming too much. If marksmen are in buildings, they're doing other things besides shooting arrows into the air. It's only the marksmen on the wall that aren't engaged in melee. Soldiers in the barracks are resting and the one's in the courtyard are trying to score with fair maidens. The best you could at the start of the game is on the west side with six marksmen. Even a few turns in that's still only six hit points and won't take out everything unprotected assuming there's a mix of assaulting units. At best that's six goblins or at worst two trolls.

2. The rules seem pretty clear on this one. If you leave a wall section without walls for two turns in a row, you'd get the Ruined Walls GP as the invader. The condition could be on the same wall section per the notes. If the defender decides to not rebuild the wall they're just giving the point away. The only time you could really check for a ruined wall bonus is at the end of the assault phase, as the defender you could rebuild the wall anytime during the next turn with a wooden wall (if you haven't used them all). That also assumes you've used your free stone wall section from the beginning of the turn for rebuilding somewhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Željko Kumer
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Life is like a photo, if you smile it turns out better!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjmassi wrote:
1. Marksman Blessing

i would say it only applies to those ones on the walls/towers and only ones not in a melee

mjmassi wrote:
2. Ruined Walls

i think that this was in the FAQ or another question here on the rules forum. the thing was that you actually have to "leave a wall Section with no wall Components twice during the game." and that would mean that you have to destroy it twice, not leave it destroyed. namely the defender would have to rebuild it for you to destroy it again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
The second answer as you reference it is in the unofficial FAQ but not in the official one. I may be incorrect, but the way I'm playing it is if the wall section is down at the end of two turns, the invader gets the GP for it. My thinking is that the Defender had plenty of opportunity to rebuild it during the 2nd turn. Also, it forces them to concentrate on wall patchwork or forfeit a point. Plus, the rules (including the German translation) state "leave" a wall section with no components, not necessarily "destroy all walls in a section for two turns". Anyway, that's my take on it. Hopefully they'll put a ruling into the next official FAQ or new rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
1. I think you're assuming too much. If marksmen are in buildings, they're doing other things besides shooting arrows into the air. It's only the marksmen on the wall that aren't engaged in melee. Soldiers in the barracks are resting and the one's in the courtyard are trying to score with fair maidens. The best you could at the start of the game is on the west side with six marksmen. Even a few turns in that's still only six hit points and won't take out everything unprotected assuming there's a mix of assaulting units. At best that's six goblins or at worst two trolls.

It still seems overpowered to me for a cost of only two hourglasses. Last night I had group after group of units wiped out by this. Of course, I didn't have cover, which hurt a lot, but I just wasn't able to keep enough units on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Massimilla
United States
Syosset
New York
flag msg tools
If you have no cover, one possible tactic would be to storm the walls with a double dispatch. Turn 1 - minor dispatch to foreground (5 units). Turn 2 - major dispatch to foreground (7 units), move no units to ramparts. Turn 3 - both minor and major dispatch, move all 12 units from foreground up to the walls, while moving this turn's new group of units from camp to the ramparts. The defender can't be sure which walls are going to be stormed, many of his marksmen are tied up in melee, and another group of invading units is ready to move up to the walls next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.