Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Liam and I took to the old battles in Ancient Greece again recently, once again braving the Sicilian campaign, which I knew could be played in a reasonable amount of time; quite important when there were other games to play in the afternoon!

Liam played the Spartans again, I played the Athenians. This time, we had most of the rules down pretty well.

The Athenians crossed in force into Sicily in midsummer, avoiding the worst of the stormy weather that afflicted them in our previous game, and started attacking Gela. Liam didn't have enough forces in the area, and soon it was under siege. The siege was short-lived, with Liam's forces being eliminated, but then the Syracusans and Spartans attacked, and the siege was reversed! Now my Athenians were under siege!

Reinforcements from the mainland arrived, and the besiegers found themselves outnumbered and so fled back to Syracuse. The pro-Athenian forces celebrated, and prepared for an attack on Syracuse. In the image below, eight of the unit blocks in Gela have been replaced by a marker block.

I also advanced on Selinus, but didn't have the men to capture it. Liam attacked back from Selinus to Segesta, with the same result. The attack on Syracuse was beaten off, and my depleted men returned to the previous conquests. Liam had the chance to inflict a lot of damage on me, but he saw only the numbers of blocks I had, not their strength, and so let me live.

With the score reaching 10 VPs in my favour, and with one year to go, Liam then conceded, feeling that he would be unable to reverse the trend; probably quite correctly. He hasn't quite yet got a feel for the flow of this game, although he's now fairly adept with the basic mechanics. However, he's very young, and he did very well.

Hellenes reminds me very much of the block mechanics I've seen in other games - notably Hammer of the Scots. I think it'll be great fun to play with Randy. I can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice AAR!

An interesting Spartan move I saw early-on in one of my 431 games (that a friend used) was laying siege to islands of Cephallinia and/or Zacinthos (both to the west and northwest of Arcadia). He captured these islands and there was little the Athenians could do since I had the Corcyrans tied up in Leucas. It ended up giving him enough points to win the game by Turn 4, I think.

Then again, maybe I was playing poorly--it was my first time as the Athenians. A very fast game.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ph’nglui mglw’nfah Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice AAR indeed. What a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.