BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Family Xmas night - Calling all Parents ;) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Metal-Head
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all, Im looking for some decent themed Gateway games to buy for xmas night at our house, for myself (fantasy gamer, Arkham, Talisman, Desecent ETC) my wife (non gamer likes Ticket to ride and Carcassonne) and my two parents (non gamers but logically minded)
Sorry if its abit of a broad question, but i was thinking maybe an easy going game for when my son is still awake (4 years old, enjoys monopoly junior) and some thing mildly heavier for later in the night when the kids are in bed and the whisky comes out (Cosmic encounter is one im currently researching?)

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kids of Carcassonne for the kid. - although it only plays 4. An adult could be his partner.

China for the adults - mid-weight game takes about 45 minutes. May take a game for everyone to completely 'get' the scoring. But this is my most played mid-weight game. I can't wait to get my copy back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Today I am identifying as a Mushroom.
mbmbmbmbmb

Thebes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Metal-Head
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ive not heard of Thebes or China before, ill check them both out thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My four year old likes Zooloretto which caters for 3-5 players, great kids theme with simple set collecting.

A simple game for later would be Finca for 2-4 players, however the more you play this game the less simpler it seems to become as you start to apply strategy to it...

Mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Metal-Head
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zooloretto looks like a great game, hmmm
Any thoughts on cosmic encounter for the adults?. from the reviews it seems quite an easy game with alot of options which pulls me in, is this a fair assumption
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Metal-Head
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
philomars wrote:
That dang ticket to ride.
I personally don't like it (I guess for the train theme) but everyone else I've ever taught has loved it. I would like it better if it was ferrying weapons to the allies or something....

Ticket To Ride : WWIII Edition (Ticket To Hell)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr_Phibes666 wrote:
Zooloretto looks like a great game, hmmm
Any thoughts on cosmic encounter for the adults?. from the reviews it seems quite an easy game with alot of options which pulls me in, is this a fair assumption

I'd say that Cosmic Encounter is way too much of a game for non-gamers. Every player has a special rule-breaking power and if you combine this with the random draw of cards you have a game that is both chaotic and confusing. It is also a lot of fun if you can handle more complex games, but I would not introduce it to your parents if they have no experience with modern boardgames.

To get your parents into the game, I am guessing that it helps if the theme is more attractive to them or that perhaps the game is theme-less and thus rather abstract. Some abstract games that often come recommended are Ingenious, Blockers!, and Qwirkle. If you want more theme, Catan is a classic. If you want something with this new-game-smell that we gamers crave, how about Gonzaga? Haven't played that one though. A card game that looks very promising is Archaeology: The Card Game. I am including that one myself in my next order. Oh, and if they enjoy sushi there is of course Wasabi!.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant (aka Diamant) or Cloud 9 while your son is awake...and maybe Endeavor or Snow Tails for when the young 'un is sleeping...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't help you with games with kids (as I don't have any. Kids, that is, I have games).

But for the adults I think Pandemic would be good. I think it would appeal to your parents' sense of logic.

My next suggestion may work with childern (with someone helping them) and that is Tsuro. I introduced it to my parents a few weeks ago and my Mom LOVED it! Everytime we had 20 min free, out came Tsuro!

EDIT: I'll second the suggestion of Wasabi!. My Mom really enjoyed this one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.