Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Hellas for the first time, and ran into a couple of questions about the cards. I did find a FAQ, but I don't think it answers these questions:

1) Re: the Zeus card that says "Swap a city of your choice with your opponent! The players move their Greeks and ships to the new city." How exactly does this work? We decided that the player who played the card could choose ANY one of his own cities and ANY one of his opponent's cities, and then all pieces on those two cities were exchanged. Is that correct?

2) Re: the Ares card that says "Attack two cities, one after another!" Do you have to play this card when you announce the first battle? Or can you play it after you see the results of your first battle? We decided the latter.

3) Re: the Ares card that says "Before an attack, swap as many ships for Greeks as you want in one of your cities!" What happens if this card is canceled by the appropriate Zeus card? Does the player miss his whole turn then, or can he still make an attack, just without converting any ships? Can the player choose to make a different attack? Can the player choose a different action (Reinforcement or Voyage) altogether? We decided that the player still had to make an attack, but it could be any attack. What do you think?

Thanks for any help,
Brad Johnson/tempus42.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:A couple of card questions
tempus42 (#6051),

I just can tell you that I made the same guesses you made...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 (#6051),

1. Correct. You swap the locations of the pieces.

2. I have got an official reply to this question: you play the card after the first battle.

3. Of course the play may still attack. Note that the card does not require that the swapped Greeks be included in the attacking force. Thus, you can make an attack anywhere. It is debatable whether one can choose a different action altogether. To be fair, in any case the player should not be required to make an attack; he can just call off his turn if he wish. The card is played /before/ an attack, which IMO should include the designation of the attack (which is signified by tossing Greeks into the target space), thus the player is not committed to a specific attack location at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your answer on #3 as it makes alot of sense, you could- then choose a different location or a different option even perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.