GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,778 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
200 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

Summoner Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Your ideas for Summoner Wars factions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've got a bunch of plans for Summoner Wars factions, but I thought I'd probe the Board Game Geek community to see what kinds of factions you'd like to see make it into the game.

Disclaimer: Posting ideas to this thread will be considered written permission to use any variation of those ideas in future releases of Summoner Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Safford
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Your ideas for Summoner Wars factions - I'm being generous with the Geek Gold tips
Great idea, Colby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Your ideas for Summoner Wars factions - I'm being generous with the Geek Gold tips
I've always liked ambush types. Rambo popping up out of the water to gun down the bad guys, those worms in Tremors that burrow around only to suddenly shoot out of the ground to eat somebody. Ninjas.

Basically anything that can hide and then surprise their enemies, maybe a creature that when it's summoned goes face down on the play mat with two dummied out cards so that the other player doesn't know which one is the creature itself. And while face down your own units can pass over it and it doesn't block line of sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lizardmen!!!! It would be cool if they could lay persistent booby trap cards on the battlefield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sherry
Canada
Truro
NS - Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the lizardmen idea.
I would also like to see Humans! All sorts of humans, perhaps a faction of Good knights and a Faction of Dark Knights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lynch
United States
Brooklawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to have an undead faction with hordes of skeletons and zombies. It would also be cool to see a large humanoid faction (it would definitely need a better name) made up of various types of ogres, trolls and giants. These guys always get lumped into other armies, but it would be neat to see them on their own for a change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A_train wrote:

I would also like to see Humans! All sorts of humans, perhaps a faction of Good knights and a Faction of Dark Knights.

Agree with Adam about Humans, and yes: Knights (bonus movement), Paladins (protection), Clerics (healing )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
A faction that has flying units that can move over units and walls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Milke
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lizard men (as well as an ogre/troll faction) sound pretty cool. I'd like to see some forrest-dwelling bear-men (I know, it's a bit random, but still . . . .)

And Master Spli. . . . Kahn Queso could use some turtle buddies . . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be interesting to see Kahn Queso's species represented with a whole faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel H
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see one or more Elemental factions. Earth-, Air-, Fire-, and Water-based units could offer some interesting play possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
I would love to see a Japanese theme with Oni-Gaki- Kappa.
Ogres and ghoasts and lizard men OH MY!

Maybe other Mythological themed sets Egypt come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Druids - Tree lovers but..

Wall now move and become trees

Hedges deal damage to those around them.

Druids can use trees to move around the battlefield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Canales
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wild Men. Not exactly Barbarians per say, but Wild Men, complete with Shamans, Bone armor, Filed teeth, snake arrows. They could have sacrificial units and such. Feral, jungle types with animal allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and of course,,,

the insect 'hive' type faction.

ants, bees, wasps or similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Crannell
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beast Master theme: The summoner is the Beast Master with an army of animals, (elephants, rhinos, lions, wolves, ect.). Or instead of regular animals you could go with an army of beastmen, half human, half animal. That could help bring the ranged element into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably way more in depth that you want, but I had a crazy brainstorm session... uh... with myself... yesterday. This is combining the guy who said "STEAMPUNK!" with "elemental stuff!"

My faction idea is tentatively called "Golem Lords."

Right now, I have an idea for a champion and common that each embody metal, wood, and fire. I could certainly see rock or water being added, and the idea for an event similar to Ice Walls that are one-turn use commons essentially, fly in blow up, etc...

Y'know, maybe I'll just start a thread over on the Summoner Wars forums about it, and link to it here once I write it up. Feel free to take inspiration however you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dunbar
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet played the game, so perhaps this is already included in some way, or maybe not even possible. This is just something that crossed my mind when thinking of this game in comparison to Battlelore and its War Council component.

Not really a faction that a player can assume and use the entire game, but a 3rd, unseen, off-board 'Gods' faction that can be utilized by the highest bidder. Perhaps a deck that either player can draw off of if they pay a high price in cards, points, units, etc. This deck would contain some very powerful cards, and therefore would require quite a high cost. Maybe could be paid for via some 'catch-up' mechanic to help out the player that's getting dominated. I know you don't want it to be too derivative, but this is basically what the 'Lore' rolls in Battlelore do. You may roll crappy, but if you get some Lore tokens built up with those crappy rolls, it helps in the long run.

Good luck! I'm sooo looking forward to trying this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Canales
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Bird People. Not winged humans, but anthropomorphic bird people…mean bird people with beaks and long nails. Some Saurian vestiges, ragged looking and cruel. Well, not just human looking birds really, more of a humanoid with bird and saurian vestiges. Opulent and corrupt comes to mind. Flying could be great of course.

Incorporeal beings. Energy, soul, blob like, anything like that is cool.

Some sort of aquatic race that needs water cards for their powers. The possibilities are huge here. Anywhere from fish or frog men, to more of a humanoid merman that requires a sort of exosuit filled with water. I had this idea for another game, but I think it could work in fantasy.

Aliens, retro fantasy tech. Imagine if Aliens had crashed in a fantasy world. Superior intellect and knowledge, but cut off from their technology so they adapt. Stoic and arrogant.

Golem types.

Dark Knight types.

Halfling types.

Now, generally speaking you’ll probably hear a lot for anthropomorphic stuff. Tiger, dog, insect, lizard, bat people etc.. These are VERY popular in fantasy as well as are “were-“ people of all sorts and general “beast” looking people. Of course, Flying monkeys. If we’re discussing anthropomorphic creatures, then you can’t go wrong with flying monkeys. Monkeys will never lead you astray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Canales
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
This is probably way more in depth that you want, but I had a crazy brainstorm session... uh... with myself... yesterday. This is combining the guy who said "STEAMPUNK!" with "elemental stuff!"

My faction idea is tentatively called "Golem Lords."

Right now, I have an idea for a champion and common that each embody metal, wood, and fire. I could certainly see rock or water being added, and the idea for an event similar to Ice Walls that are one-turn use commons essentially, fly in blow up, etc...

Y'know, maybe I'll just start a thread over on the Summoner Wars forums about it, and link to it here once I write it up. Feel free to take inspiration however you choose.

This is sort of the feel I was going for with my alien idea. They have the know-how, but cut off from their technology they adapt to the world they are in.

Good stuff man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Minivann wrote:
It would be interesting to see Kahn Queso's species represented with a whole faction.

Seconded. In other games, ratmen (note the absence of a potentially trademarked name for them ) have always been one of my favourites to play. Depending on how you wish to theme yours, you could mix in some steampunk bits, or go for a more feral approach, or use them for the "sneaking & ambushes" angle someone called for above. I think there is lots of potential there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This could be a cool little expansion unto itself. A deck of cards, the top 3 are revealed. Each card has a magic cost to buy into your hand. Each time one is bought it is replaced by a newly revealed card off the top of the deck. Or you could pay a set magic cost to blind draw. This could actually even be just a web release alternative play scenario with a deck built from mercenaries that can be hired by either player throughout the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Heywood
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I like the idea of lizard-men, especially if they're presented as the early life-stage of dragons: as they age, the lizard-men grow to immense size, sprout wings, and become more and more prideful and avaricious. This would seem to work well with your army composition, as you could have common versions of earlier stages and late stage champions.

Humans seem pretty essential, too, though I think it would be interesting to avoid the traditional western European knights-in-full-plate and go for a different theme. Maybe ancient Greeks (also pretty overplayed, but you could of course whip out all of their mythological creatures) or Persians (horse archers! djinns!) could be the inspiration.

A slime faction that could stack its cards (it's growing!) would be cool.

This is a very clever marketing move. I've spent a lot of time now inspecting the art and cards of your game, and everything looks good. Thankfully, Christmas approaches, with its disposable income and lax accounting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Solitas wrote:
Agent Minivann wrote:

Seconded. In other games, ratmen (note the absence of a potentially trademarked name for them ;)) have always been one of my favourites to play.

I have no idea what you're talking about.:p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Moberg
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Demons. I'm partial to Tolkien's Balrog type demons. Fire and shadow. Succubi and hellhounds are cool, too. Themes for demons can go a number of different ways. My favorites, adding to fire and shadow, are fear, nightmare, corruption, and confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.