Subject: Hiding Personal Financial Information rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize that Geek Gold is an imaginary currency invented for our use here on BGG.

And I appreciate the ability to review my GG transactions (both incoming and outgoing), too.

What potentially bothers me is that, as a site supporter, part of my real-world personal financial information is available to these same people - anyone browsing my GG transactions can see how much I have contributed to the site by spending the time to look through my transactions and seeing how much BGG has added to my account.

To demonstrate:

Go here: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Gamethyme/geekstuff

Click on the number next to 'Collected' - it will bring you here: http://boardgamegeek.com/geekgold/collected/Gamethyme

Right now, the page is cluttered with income from the game lotteries. But if you go back a page or two, it becomes clearer.

There are a few transfers from BoardgameGeek to me. BGG transfers GG for corrections and for financial contributions. Corrections pay out ... not very much. .25 GG. Financial contributions are $1 per GG, so Transfers from BGG to me that are $1 or more are financial contributions to the 'Geek.

If you wanted do, you could do the homework and figure out my monthly contribution and when it hits.

Not a big deal for me - I'm not a big donor - but this transparency may keep some privacy-crazed folks from donating, and there are other users who may donate a lot that don't necessarily want that information available.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those transfers are not necessarily financial. BGG admins also transfer GG to people for work behind the scenes. The log entry in the GG collected list looks identical for those.

Also, if you really want to give BGG an anonymous, large donation I'm sure they can work that out on a case-by-case basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jdludlow wrote:
Those transfers are not necessarily financial. BGG admins also transfer GG to people for work behind the scenes. The log entry in the GG collected list looks identical for those.

Indeed, I work with a body of information gatherers and correctors who get from me via the BGG main account, and there is no money changing hands in those transactions. I also give out bonuses for those who contribute good content or substantial corrections. And, during the Designer corrections drive, I was handing out 2, 3, and 5 like candy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tietz
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:
I realize that Geek Gold is an imaginary currency invented for our use here on BGG.

And I appreciate the ability to review my GG transactions (both incoming and outgoing), too.

What potentially bothers me is that, as a site supporter, part of my real-world personal financial information is available to these same people - anyone browsing my GG transactions can see how much I have contributed to the site by spending the time to look through my transactions and seeing how much BGG has added to my account.

To demonstrate:

Go here: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Gamethyme/geekstuff

Click on the number next to 'Collected' - it will bring you here: http://boardgamegeek.com/geekgold/collected/Gamethyme

Right now, the page is cluttered with income from the game lotteries. But if you go back a page or two, it becomes clearer.

There are a few transfers from BoardgameGeek to me. BGG transfers GG for corrections and for financial contributions. Corrections pay out ... not very much. .25 GG. Financial contributions are $1 per GG, so Transfers from BGG to me that are $1 or more are financial contributions to the 'Geek.

If you wanted do, you could do the homework and figure out my monthly contribution and when it hits.

Not a big deal for me - I'm not a big donor - but this transparency may keep some privacy-crazed folks from donating, and there are other users who may donate a lot that don't necessarily want that information available.

Eric

Just send a cease and desist letter to BGG. It's what all the cool kids are doing cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I received GG at BGG.con, I think it comes up looking the same. But, even though I've contributed 4 years now, I was having trouble finding the transaction in my GG list, so I gave up looking for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of hiding from the real world in the internet bugs the crap out of me. I know that people like to try to maintain the illusion of privacy as they scream from the top of their lungs on the BGG mountaintop, but that ain't how it works in the world--real or internet.

OK, enough of my rant.

For the "I want to remain invisible as I post all over the internet" crowd, I bet that Aldie & Co would gladly remove all BGG-to-user GG contributions for those who wish to have their pseudo-financial information remain private. Just sent them a geek mail requesing such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.