Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bad_deals [+] interesting [+] [View All]
Ronald Spencer
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Late in 2008 I started ordering and pre-ordering games from Avalanche Press which was then located in Virginia Beach, VA. As the economy worsened (as did my financial situation) I requested that Avalanche cancel some of my pre-orders and refund the money already paid.

The following is a transcript of my communications with (and about) Avalanche Press over the last seven months regarding my refund. I am publishing this as a cautionary tale to those who pre-order games from publishers who immediately take your money but sometimes never produce the promised game(s.)

>>>>

Sent: Wed 5/6/2009 2:58 PM
To: Avalanche Press

Last week I submitted several order cancellation requests and asked for the monies to be credited to the VISA card I used to make the pre-orders. I provided contact information in case there were any questions Avalanche might have had. There has been no action taken and no response to follow-up inquiries. Please honor my requests for order cancellations and please get the amounts credited to my VISA card. I would prefer to continue doing business with you in the future but at the moment I need the money that you have had for several months.

I would appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
Ronald C. Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Wed 5/6/2009 7:28 PM
To: Ron Spencer

Dear Ronald,

I've been overwhelmed the past few days, and will do my best to call you tomorrow afternoon. Thank you.

Mike

>>>>

Sent: Wed 5/6/2009 8:05 PM

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately I will be out of the country until the 16th (one of the reasons I needed the refunds.) I will be checking my e-mail daily but that's the best I can do until I return home.

Ron Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Sat 5/16/2009 7:55 PM

Hi Mike,

Back in country and see that no action has been taken on my cancellation requests. I now request that all active orders and pre-orders of mine that are not actually in a box on the way to me be canceled and the appropriate amounts be credited to my VISA ending in XXXX that I used to order them. I will retain Cassino '44 since I don't feel generating another hassle by trying to return it. Please expedite the requested action.

Ronald Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Thu 5/21/2009 1:43 PM

Hello folks,

OK - last and final. Please take the cancellation actions I originally requested on April 29, 2009 via your website. I will do no more business with your company regardless of your actions. If I have not seen the credit appear on my VISA within one week I will pursue this matter with my credit card company, the Better Business Bureau in your area and anyone else who will listen, since apparently you don't.

Ronald Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Thu 5/21/2009 3:34 PM
Hi Ronald,
Checked with Shane and you have 605.00 worth of product outstanding and 95.43 amount in shipping. You of course are getting all of this money back. We can't just automatically refund 800 dollars tomorrow but we can make sure you get the money back over the next 2-3 weeks at the latest. Each credit takes 5-7 days to show up on your account depending on how your credit card company works and we will make the first credit card refund today.

Lys Fulda
Avalanche Press

>>>>

Sent: thu 5/21/2009 6:12 PM

Ronald,

Our online store does not retain records of your credit card information, so I'll need to get a credit card number from you to issue a credit. For security's sake please don't send it by email. Can I call you to get the number? I'll be in the office tomorrow if there will be a good time then to call.

Thanks,
Shane Ivey
Avalanche Press

>>>>

NOTE: The credit card info was provided by phone to Shane Ivey the next day, 5/22/2009

>>>>

Sent: Tue 6/2/2009 3:01 PM

To anyone who will listen and take action -

On May 22nd I provided the credit card information requested by Shane. He said he would process the first of the refunds that same day. I have online access to my credit card account and see all transactions as they are posted, even if they are pending and not yet cleared. Avalanche has not taken any action that I can see. Please, please expedite this long-standing request and I will go away and trouble you no more.

Ron Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Wed 6/3/2009 9:53 AM

Dear Ronald,

To the best of my knowledge at least the first of these was executed, but I'll confirm that when I go into the office this morning. Thank you.

Mike Bennighof
President, Avalanche Press

>>>>

Sent: Fri 6/5/2009 8:47 PM

Dear Ronald,

After some investigation, I'm still not sure why this credit hasn't appeared. We'll do another over the weekend using the credit card machine instead of the online processor. Thank you for your patience.

Mike Bennighof

>>>>

Sent: Tue 6/16/2009 1:13 PM

All that has showed up so far was one for $29.20 and one for $26.12 both with transaction dates of 10 June. I don't know what to think - are you people crooks or simply incompetent? I think I have been more than patient in this matter and see no reason to be polite any further. If this is typical of your business dealings then I feel sorry for your remaining customers and don't hold much hope for your survival in the business.
Please process the remaining refund balance and please do it NOW!

Ronald Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Tue 6/16/2009 2:11 PM

Dear Ronald,

I asked you several days ago to let us know if these refunds had appeared on your account and you did not respond. We will certainly process the remainder now that you have confirmed them. Thank you.

Mike Bennighof

>>>>

Sent: Wed 6/24/2009 12:23AM

Dear Ronald,

To speed the process, I'm going to refund these by check if that's all right with you. Thank you.

Mike Bennighof
Avalanche Press

>>>>

Sent: Tue 6/30/2009 7:36 PM

Hello all,

Please advise when "the check is in the mail."

Thank you,
Ronald Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Tue 6/30/2009 7:51 PM

First one went out yesterday afternoon, approx. $230-240 (I'm not at the
office) for three orders.

Mike

>>>>

NOTE: A check for $239.99 was received two days later. The remaining balance owed is $405.12 at this point.

>>>>

Sent: Wed 7/15/2009

Any estimate as to when the balance of my refund(s) will be mailed/credited??

Ron Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Thu 7/23/2009 1:28 PM

Follow-up on last week’s query. If you refund the remaining balance I’ll go away and stop bothering you. This has been dragging on since the beginning of May so I don’t think I am being unreasonable in requesting that you SPEED THINGS UP!

Ron Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Thu 7/30/2009 12:47 AM

It's right on my desk, and will go out Friday or Saturday (as soon as the end of the month insurance is paid). Thank you for your patience.

Mike Bennighof
Avalanche Press

>>>>

NOTE: When no check appeared after this reply I filed a complaint with the Birmingham AL Better Business Bureau.

>>>>

Sent: Tue 8/25/2009 8:17 AM

Complaint ID#: 85024595
Business Name: Avalanche Press

The Better Business Bureau has made several attempts to contact the business regarding the above referenced complaint. We regret to inform you that we have not received a response from the company.

The Better Business Bureau develops and maintains Reliability Reports on companies in our service area. This information is available to the public and is frequently used by potential customers. In the case of your complaint, the company's failure to promptly give attention to the matter will be reflected in the report we give to consumers about them.

If the company has contacted you in the interim, please notify the BBB immediately.

Sincerely,
Perry Woods
Consumer Affairs
BBB Complaint Department
pwoods@centralalabama.bbb.org

>>>>

Sent: Wed 8/26/2009 3:39 PM

Hello,

Would you advise me of the latest status of my refund?

Ron Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Mon 9/14/2009 time unknown

Please pass to Mike, Lys, anyone else who will at least respond...

Are you or are not going to pay the remainder of the refund you owe me?
Since you were not impressed by the Better Business Bureau perhaps I need to take my case to a more public forum?

Ronald Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Tue 9/15/2009 1:39 AM

Dear Ronald,

I'll be in the office tomorrow and send another check. Thank you for your patience.

Mike Bennighof
Avalanche Press

>>>>

Sent: Thu 10/1/2009 9:52 AM

Ummmmm.....Bueller?.....Bueller?

Check of patience meter reads 0.000001 - Sense of Humor meter reads 0.02 - can we please get this over with?

Ron Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Tue 10/6/2009 10:36 PM

Well...

Either you didn’t show up at the office or you lost your pen or the postal service lost the check that you put in the mail or your veracity is of lower quality than Chinese drywall. Can we please draw this farce to a close with a check for the balance of my refund?

Ronald Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Thu 10/15/2009 3:13 PM

Well, another week has passed and no check - also no Great White Fleet which supposedly has been flying out the warehouse doors. Have a lovely weekend and may all your boxes be 9 x 12 instead of 12 x 9.

Ron Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Tue 11/3/2009 4:10 PM

Hello,
Great White Fleet finally sailed in but there were no checks on board. If you are not going to honor your many promises of payment, please just say so. That way I can at least claim you as a bad debt on my income tax.

Ronald Spencer

>>>>

Sent: Mon 11/23/2009 7:59 AM

Hello all,

I just wanted to wish you all a happy Thanksgiving. Mine would be much happier if you would finally send the remainder of the money owed me. If that amount would put Avalanche Press out of business then please forgive me in advance for putting you all out of work. It would be nice if someone would at least acknowledge my e-mails though if you wouldn’t respond to the Better Business Bureau I guess you won’t respond to me.

Regards,
Ronald C. Spencer

(Just in case you wanted to address an envelope…with a check in it…)

>>>>

To close the story out - I have not heard from Avalanche Press since Mike promised me a check on 16 September. I don't suppose I ever will hear from them now.....BUYER BEWARE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you reported this to your credit card company? They may step in and help. You might also try reporting them to the Attorney General. I had a similar frustrating experience with a telephone company a few years ago. I spent 9 months dealing with customer service and eventually they turned off my phone service. To make a long story short, I made a payment to the wrong account (my previous phone number instead of my current one). I could not get them to understand that my previous account should show an overpayment exactly equal to the underpayment in my current account. They kept telling me I had a delinquent payment. Ultimately, I wrote a letter to the President of the company. Within a week, I got a call from "Executive Customer Service." They also made a few mistakes along the way, but within a few weeks the whole matter was cleared up. I feel your pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tygo wrote:
Wow.

^ What he said.

Avalanche Press wrote:
We can't just automatically refund 800 dollars tomorrow but we can make sure you get the money back over the next 2-3 weeks at the latest.

Is it just me, or does this sound like they are using pre-order money collected for other things, rather than setting it aside to fund a pre-order print run when it's ready to go? Why does it sound like there's not even $800 available in the account to issue a refund?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Tygo wrote:
Wow.

^ What he said.

Avalanche Press wrote:
We can't just automatically refund 800 dollars tomorrow but we can make sure you get the money back over the next 2-3 weeks at the latest.

Is it just me, or does this sound like they are using pre-order money collected for other things, rather than setting it aside to fund a pre-order print run when it's ready to go? Why does it sound like there's not even $800 available in the account to issue a refund?

This isn't very unusual for small companies. They often have liquidity problems. They need to pay employees first (payroll laws are VERY tough . . . get ready for a clobbering if you mess up payroll), and they also need to pay overhead expenses . . . and use incoming money to buy new inventory or pay for drop shipping. This often leaves a very limited amount of money on hand. This isn't an excuse . . . they should plan ahead for contingencies such as this . . . but it's an unfortunate reality, especially in hard economic times. Avalanche Press is definitely going about this the wrong way. These are poor (and very shady) business practices. Continuous delays and deceit aren't going to get them very far once the word gets out about how they treat customers. I won't ever buy from them after reading this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't jump on any impending bandwagon here, but I wanted to say that I have had both good and bad experiences with Avalanche Press in the past. In the past they were attentive to my requests to replace missing countersheets, but the correspondence with them was rather sporadic in terms of thier replies. I have completly rid myself of all Avalanche Press games, in part, becasue of the less than stellar customer support, but mostly because I think their games are not very enjoyable and are lacking in several areas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California (CA)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what I call a "customer service failure."

It's a shame. I was eyeing some Avalanche Press stuff myself. I think I'll hold off on any purchases from them pending the outcome of your refund issue.

Should it really take a company nearly seven months to resolve a refund issue? I think not.

EDIT: To add the last sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Have you reported this to your credit card company? They may step in and help. You might also try reporting them to the Attorney General.

You should definitely take both these steps. I say that as someone who has just given AP some money for forthcoming games, due to their big sale. I'm willing to give them a chance, but I'll keep a closer eye on the progress of my games after reading your post. Thanks for letting us know about your trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
someotherguy wrote:
It sounds like you entered into a contract and now you don't want to keep up your half, and I don't think you deserve a refund. If you sent $800 to a company for them to send you games whenever they got around to printing them, then you are currently getting what you paid for. If there was a schedule of when these games were to be mailed to you and it was ignored, then you deserve a refund, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. The reason this company runs a pre-order system is obvious: because they're small and they need money up front to cover their costs of developing and printing games -- this isn't General Motors, it's a little mom 'n pop outfit. Otherwise, why would they even ask customers to pay for a product months before it was released? They clearly don't have the funds on hand to send you a surprise package of dollar bills. Why not accept that and continue waiting for the games you ordered, which is what you paid for? When the economy goes south, it is too late to get back all the money you spent over the last year -- you need to make the correct spending decisions in foresight, not in hindsight.

However, although I understand the embarrassment of their situation, I do fault the publisher for not manning up and telling you that your money has been consumed in the process of developing and printing the games that you ordered.

While the cancelling of pre-orders is not specifically mentioned, it says the following in the "Ordering and Shipping FAQ" on their site:

Maybe I think your games are drivel or maybe I/my spouse/my kid thinks they are not what I/he/she or she/the lad were looking for. Can I get a refund?

Sure. As long as the product is in a sellable condition (unpunched and undamaged) and you purchased it from us, just return it and we will refund or credit the purchase price. If you purchased the game from someone else, though, you need to return it to them.

So, if you are allowed to return the games after you have opened and played them, one can infer that you are also allowed to cancel the order before it has shipped, and reasonably expect a timely refund. The fault here is clearly on Avalanche Press for their execrable customer service and not on Ron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Doublé
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the whole communication, what sticks out in my mind the most is that Liz Fulda now spells her name "Lys." LOL. Well, she always was a bubblehead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
oldtroll wrote:

It's right on my desk, and will go out Friday or Saturday (as soon as the end of the month insurance is paid). Thank you for your patience.

That is probably the most telling statement in the exchange. It seems that they can't mail your check until they pay their insurance at the end of the month. Sounds like they are afraid the check will bounce for lack of funds if you cash it too quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is incredible. Have you heard anything else from the BBB?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a bummer, While they may have good tactical games, their business tactics need work.

How to play their Customer Service Game

Upon receiving a customer complaint,

Take one die and roll it. If you roll a "1" or "2" Then make a promise to complaint, roll die a second time, if a "6" is rolled carry out promise.

If you rolled a "3, 4, 5, or 6" ignore complaint.

Turn over, erase E-mail, wait for next customer complaint and start turn over.

whistle
This is a parody and should not be taken seriously
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalanche has always been clear that if you want to cancel a preorder and get a refund, you can. I can see why a $700 refund would be an issue for a small business like that, but there's no excuse for this delay.

Ralzakark wrote:
Out of the whole communication, what sticks out in my mind the most is that Liz Fulda now spells her name "Lys." LOL. Well, she always was a bubblehead.

She's been spelling it like that for several years now. IIRC it's in tribute to a relative who was killed in the Holocaust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall04 wrote:
Contact your credit card company. Zay hav vays!

If it's outside of the credit card company's time frame for disputed charges, they won't help you. It's usually 2 months but some credit cards maybe more flexible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't pre-order games. This is one reason why.

Next time you have spare money, put it in a Certificate of Deposit instead of some P500 or other game pre-order. OLGS prices tend to beat pre-order prices, and you'll gain some interest from the CD when it matures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tao Wong
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely talk to the credit card company. If you're a good customer, they'll help you out. Max time frame is generally 6 months - that's how long they hold reserve funds for processors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Ron has a record of ongoing dialogue with the vendor, and the vendor promised a refund, I believe that the credit card company will assist. What sucks is although Ron was very patient, and his reward was only hassle, frustration and doubt.

I have had customer service experiences like this with paypal and a few other vendors in the last 10 years (where I ordered things that never arrived), and I have to say they were experiences I have no interest in recurring.

This does bring to mind some questions though.

Often I pre-order games very very early in the dev process. In some cases, it takes literally years from the minute that my pre-order goes in to the point where the product ships. Now that I fully understand that a company may go belly up before said product would ship, I will be a bit more cautious with these. Although its a basic fact of business that they may fold up at any time for any of a plethora of reasons, I had no idea that a pre-order of this magnitude ($800) would be a significant challenge for even a small company. I don't know why this hasn't occured to me before. Basically, if they want to charge me upon shipment of product, I'll do it, but if they charge me ahead of shipping time, I won't be risking it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
I don't pre-order games. This is one reason why.

Next time you have spare money, put it in a Certificate of Deposit instead of some P500 or other game pre-order. OLGS prices tend to beat pre-order prices, and you'll gain some interest from the CD when it matures.

This is absolutely true. Nothing is more annoying to me than preordering a product for a "discount" to find that the stores offer the same, or even lower prices than the preorder gave you. A specific gaming mag that I pre-order on a regular basis does this.

My only concern is that some products wouldn't get produced at all without preorders. This is the intangible value that comes out of the pre-order system. Is it worth the risk, in these times, probably not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to OLGS geeklist: http://boardgamegeek.com/listitem/983933?commentid=1314981#c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
presence wrote:
My only concern is that some products wouldn't get produced at all without preorders. This is the intangible value that comes out of the pre-order system. Is it worth the risk, in these times, probably not.

This is the tradeoff. Shipping charges have killed preorder discounts for years now. If you want the best price, then wait. If you want to pay a little extra to help ensure that a game gets published, then preorder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just from my accounting classes, it seems to me Avalanche Press is having a serious cash flow problem. In other words, they need the money to fund their operations or generate profit and must delay payments or refunds as long as possible. This issue was brought up in the Wall Street journal a few months back about how several major companies are doing the same thing to their suppliers.

Still that doesn't mean you have to be at their mercy, I would consult an attorney and see what legal options are available. Then, let AP know you are going to take some legal action if the money isn't returned at a certain time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricomaurer wrote:
Just from my accounting classes, it seems to me Avalanche Press is having a serious cash flow problem. In other words, they need the money to fund their operations or generate profit and must delay payments or refunds as long as possible.

They've started selling downloadable PDF scenario books for their game series, which they say has helped with cash flow. I believe it, since over the past year they've been doing better as far as getting new games published. There are a few items that I preordered from them years ago that appear to be on the verge of release.

Doesn't help the OP, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, classic example of a small business that's poorly run in regards to cash management.

Sounds like the small business I was a part of for about 5 years. The owner was struggling with cash flow and kept floating bills and promising vendors things would get paid tomorrow..then next week..then end of month.

In the end the business tanked cause the owner didn't know how to manage cash flow and also didn't know how to run a solid business. Sad tos ee but that's what happens to a lot of small businesses in slower economic times.

AP probably won't be around in 2-3 years at this rate.

Hope you do get your money back but don't count on it. It was spent a long time ago by the owner of the business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not wanting to stir the pot too much, has anyone mentioned this thread to AP over at their ConSim folder? With this negative public attention maybe they will be more willing to refund your money now that your story is being made available for those that are interested to read.

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.