Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenHR wrote:
This famous chapter from the Wargame Design book has been posted here. Lots of other good stuff there, too.

It's interesting not only as a statement of Mr. Simonsen's philosophy on game graphics (I tend to agree with 95% of what he says), but as a snapshot into the game production process 30+ years ago and source of interesting tidbits and trivia (why unmounted maps?).

There's a bit on rules layout that would be applicable to another recent thread around here, too.

Thank you thank you. I want to make a "keep OOP games in the hands of players" badge. I would willingly donate GeekGold so you could get one for your efforts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redmond was the man.

And I still prefer SPI rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
WarMonger2009 wrote:
Redmond was the man.

And I still prefer SPI rules!

Ditto!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have pretty good eyesight and prefer fancy maps and counters, like those from Clash of Arms. If I fancied chewed for abstraction I wouldn't play wargames in the first place. I'm not a fan of the whole "keep it short and simple" philosophy anyways.

So why are SPI games not played anymore (as opposed to AH games)? Are they just worse rules-wise? I guess the fact that they look drab is a big issue.

I still have to say that the map for CITYFIGHT is cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenHR wrote:
I tend to agree with 95% of what he says

So you're only wrong 5% of the time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting. I bought the SPI book this is from and really enjoyed this chapter. The map needs to be an intregal PART of the game, enhancing the GAMING experience, not a "work of art" in it's own right.

Make it as much a "work of art" as possible, right up to the point where it tends to detract from the expereine of playing on it.

Reference any number of lists of bad maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.