A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game» Forums » General

Subject: What kind of game is this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both arkham horror and last night on earth. Both of them a re quality games.

Even after reading few reviews of this game I am not completely sure if this is a game where one person controls the enemy (last night on earth) or something like arkham horror where it's everyone against the table?!

What kind of different gameplay modes does this support?

How should I go about learning the rules. I would normally just dig in on the normal rulebook but in both AH or Last night I found that some quick rules summarys really easily did the job of teaching the game far better than the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Walton
United Kingdom
Cannock
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In aToE, you have a choice of Competitive play (every man for himself, against the board) or Co-Operative play (everyone against the board). There is a Team option too which kind of combines the 2. It's a fun game either way, I'd recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a game where the players are against the board and potentially, each other. I highly recommend adding this to your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
AH and LNOE are both in my top 10. I also enjoy ATOE quite a lot but not as much as those other games because I find there are far less active decisions in it than either AH or LNOE. The encounters in ATOE basically tell you what to do, and that's it... you roll some dice and see what happens. By comparison, with the AH encounters you often have some kind of choice (e.g. "if you read the book, make a skill check..."). That being said, "what happens" in ATOE is still a very fun and compelling experience and the competitive version offers some more decisions as far as how to best improve your situation and deal with the other players, and the timing of when you do certain things can be more important. But I would keep that in mind, that compared to AH and LNOE it doesn't offer as many active or tactical decisions. If you're okay with that, you'll likely have a lot of fun with ATOE for what it is... a very well themed horror adventure game.

I also didn't find the rules in ATOE to be as tight as LNOE, or even AH (at least the current version). So yeah, I would look up and print out the Universal Head rules summary for ATOE and have that handy to refer to along with the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Personally, I find AToE a boring game and much prefer AH and LNoE for the same reasons as Eric's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dilts
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends actually enjoy LNoE and AToE. Both are great theme games and the comments from my friends all say you have many more options of what to do in AToE than LNoE. I agree. LNoE is strait forward. Get the Items kill the zombies accomplish the task.zombie AToE has varied places to go with different results. Not all the items show up, different villains act different ways, different characters mean approaching the situation differently. All in all I love 'em both.

For your question though Matt said it best.
"In aToE, you have a choice of Competitive play (every man for himself, against the board) or Co-Operative play (everyone against the board). There is a Team option too which kind of combines the 2. It's a fun game either way, I'd recommend it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since no one mentioned it I'll add that the competitive game can turn into a back stabbing adventure. A well played "I think not." card can cause a riot when you blow their showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Archimiedies wrote:
My friends actually enjoy LNoE and AToE. Both are great theme games and the comments from my friends all say you have many more options of what to do in AToE than LNoE. I agree.

If that's your feeling, then of course that's fine, but I disagree. I think there are a lot more active decisions in LNOE, depending somewhat on the scenario. ATOE is more of a "this is what happens" passive experience and for the most part you go along with it, with a few decisions here and there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think AH is a better game, however if you want something simpler than ATOE is worth a go.

I own the expansion somethin wicked which does make for a better game (although still very easy and not particularly deep)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.