Subject: Dark Swarm vs Collateral rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alexandre Boureau
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does losing ground attack capabilities (as per the dark swarm card) cancels collateral damages?
Collateral doesn't seem to require the unit to do anything during combat, except surviving.

Can Collateral be triggered if a siege tank or reaver faces an air unit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Norstedt
Sweden
Eskilstuna
flag msg tools
Collateral Damage is only triggered if the unit with Collateral Damage kills another unit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HighJumper wrote:
Collateral Damage is only triggered if the unit with Collateral Damage kills another unit

You're confusing it with Splash Damage...

Quote:
“Collateral Damage”
If a front-line unit with this ability is not destroyed during
the Resolve Skirmishes step of a battle, the owning player
may immediately choose to do one of the following:
• Destroy one enemy base in the area.
• Destroy one enemy installation in the area.
• Destroy all enemy workers in the area (on the
corresponding resource card).
Note that this ability is triggered immediately, even if the
unit is later forced to retreat or withdraw from the area.

So that Collateral Damage is triggered. IMO, CD should require at least ground attack capabilities. In most ridiculous situation, even Corsair of Valkyrie can trigger CD shake (with "Heroic Strategy" Stage II Event card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically that makes sense, too; even if it can't attack any units, it can still try to destroy some of the bases and infrastructure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Norstedt
Sweden
Eskilstuna
flag msg tools
Oh yea, sry, my head wasn't screwed on propperly when i made that post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Alford

Silverthorne
Colorado
msg tools
Erm, this would irk me for one reason. The controlling player chooses Collateral damage. This means, a blind firing band of attackers would SELECT who they've slain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King Kodeir wrote:
Erm, this would irk me for one reason. The controlling player chooses Collateral damage. This means, a blind firing band of attackers would SELECT who they've slain.

Collateral Damage doesn't affect target UNITS, only target infrastructure; you still can't choose the units you are slaying, but you CAN choose which building, etc, to destroy.

Which is very much like the PC game - if you want to attack a base, you can choose which buildings you want to take out first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
asdf asdf
msg tools
nice analogy.. you can select the unit in he pc game which you will take out too ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the board game, the attacker can kind of do the same, by how you set up the skirmishes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Zelyanin
Russia
Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desperately need clarification.
2 questions about Collateral damage:

1) I attack with Reaver an undefended Zerg Base. I have Collateral damage card for Reaver in the hand. Can I use it to destroy the base NOW even if there are no defenders and therefore no skirmishes to arrange?

2) The same situation but Reaver and Dragoon invade Zerg Base with Queen there. Is there any way to destroy the base with collateral damage in one mobilize order?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cryoclasm wrote:
Desperately need clarification.
2 questions about Collateral damage:

1) I attack with Reaver an undefended Zerg Base. I have Collateral damage card for Reaver in the hand. Can I use it to destroy the base NOW even if there are no defenders and therefore no skirmishes to arrange?

2) The same situation but Reaver and Dragoon invade Zerg Base with Queen there. Is there any way to destroy the base with collateral damage in one mobilize order?

Thanks in advance.

Collateral Damage needs a battle (skirmish) to be triggered. Unit with Collateral Damage must survive skirmish resolution (however, it may be destroyed LATER, e.g. by Splash Damage).

So that:

1) You won't use CD until Zerg tries to recapture area with base. Then, a battle will have to be resolved and you'll have an opportunity to use your card.

2) Sure. Just set up your Reaver as a front-line unit and use your card. You won't destroy Queen, but it surely won't destroy your Reaver. That's enough to trigger CD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Zelyanin
Russia
Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) That is kinda illogical but I was in doubt so just checked that. Just thought that if Reaver in PC game comes to undefended base - it would obviously kill it right away.
2) Shouldn't I assign skirmishes in a way so my FLU is able to attack his unit? Or do you just suggest to attack with lonely reaver to perform this trick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2) Yes, it may be done with lonely Reaver (using other ground units is obsolete, because some of them may be killed by Spawn Broodling card of Queen).

Also notice that you could do the same by Corsair (although it attacks only air units), having Heroic Strategy in Play area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cryoclasm wrote:
2) Shouldn't I assign skirmishes in a way so my FLU is able to attack his unit? Or do you just suggest to attack with lonely reaver to perform this trick?

You should, if your objective is to kill his unit. However, that means you won't CD the base.

On the other hand, there is no requirement in the rules that your FLU is able to attack his FLU (or vice versa). So you can use the reaver; queen will have to retreat and CD triggers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.